Calor Gas Variations in Size and Weight for "Same" bottle

HymerVan

Back in 2012 I instituted a thread about the amount of gas I would need for an eight week trip in my Fifer Campervan. Gas is used only for cooking. The fridge is a compressor type and space and water heating is diesel.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Gas-Dilemma/26808/

This very interesting and helpful thread led me to arrange a Campinggaz 907 cylinder as a backup and Derek Uzzell very helpfully specified the kit I needed including a gaslow Stainless steel pipe and "easyfit" (turnwheel) adaptor :-

http://www.thegaslowcentre.co.uk/magento/gaslow/english/lpg-gas-equipment/gas-adapters/gaslow-easy-fit-adapter-for-uk-propane-to-21-8-lh.html. I should say that Davey Leitch at East Neuk was adamant that one cylinder would last for absolutely ages and he has been proved right because in fact we seem to use very little gas and the two 3.9 propane cylinders are fine so the Campinggaz cylinder and connections have languished in my garage.

This weekend I decided to fit the stainless steel hose using the turnwheel (i.e attaching the propane cylinder to the regulator). At the same time I weighed the partially empty gas bottle (9KG) .

This lead to two discoveries :-

1. The tare (empty) weight of 3.9 propane calor gas bottles varies. Calor say :-"Tare weight (empty) 5-6kg"

I then visited my helpful and knowledgeable local dealer and by chance their workshop manager was in the shop and offered assistance. His initial reaction was that the turnwheel fitting definitely should fit the 3.9 bottle and selecting at random a new bottle out of his cage it fitted perfectly. Trying it on my bottle he was surprised to find that the thread went into the bottle a few milimeters but then fouled the top of the bottle and the information collar around the top of the bottle. It seems as if the valve stem protrudes higher on some bottles than others.

I may try re-engineering the turnwheel by trimming the length of the "prongs" (which are plastic) to allow the wheel to turn without fouling .

Wonder if anyone else has come across these issues.

Visited local Calor gas yard yesterday, a very big place which i was aware of but never used.

They say that because any given cylinder can be in use for many years after manufacture there are slight variations in the design and dimensions from one to the other (of two 3.9 propane cylinders adjacent on the pallet one was noticeably taller than the other). The solution if to ask for/select one with a tall valve stem. I will delay changing my pigtail until I has used up all the gas in my existing two cylinders then buy two "tall" ones.

Yes, came across the same problem myself several months ago. Apparently the latest design of gas cylinder outlet does indeed have a shorter neck which does obstruct the easy fit turnwheel connection hoses. I queried this with Calor whose only response was that they could guarantee that it was compatible with all their connection adapters but obviously could not guarantee this for adapters from any other source. Looks like a fairly astute move to gain a little more market share on the sale of adapters. The Gaslow turnwheel adapter is very popular!

Archived