Which alarm?

Casimir

I am planning to have an alarm system installed in my recently acquired 2007 Fiat Ducato based motorhome. It already has an engine immobiliser and central locking. I have contacted a few installers but some of the information I have been given has been incomplete and/or contradictory.

At present I have just one Fiat remote key and one non-remote key. My MH has a Cat 2 system (an immobiliser) so what I need is a Cat 2-1 upgrade to Cat 1. Evidently some alarm systems interface with the existing "CAN-BUS" electronics (and use the vehicles existing remote control). Others do not.

I have been considering the Sigma S30, the Autowatch 695 and the Toad AI606. These come with two of their own remote controls, do not need to interface with the "CAN-BUS", and do not need the Fiat remote control.

I was leaning towards the Sigma S30 until one installer told me that it was incompatible with the "CAN-BUS" system, as is the Toad AI606. Is that correct or not?

I have also been considering the Autowatch 375 Clam which is a 2-1 "CAN-BUS" upgrade and works with the Fiat remote control.

I expect it is better to have an alarm system that interfaces with the existing "CAN-BUS" system. However I am concerned about being dependent on just one Fiat remote especially as the cost of a second or spare Fiat remote could be around £200.

Based on quotes so far I expect to be able to get a good system for about £300/400 - but which one?

As a new MH owner any advice or suggestions on choosing an alarm system would be most welcome.

Tracker - 2014-08-24 7:49 PM

Sorry I can't give specific advice or opinions but these people are generally very helpful and have a good reputation amongst the motor homing fraternity and so are probably well worth asking?

http://www.leisurepower.co.uk/shop/alarms.html

Well they were useful, but from info gathered elsewhere, AIUI, they are no longer trading (as you will see if you access the top level of their site domain).

http://www.leisurepower.co.uk/

Guest JudgeMental

My take on it...don't bother unless an Insurance company stipulation. No one takes any notice of alarms they are just an annoyance. Thieves certainly don't, will ransack the van in 5 mins with alarm blaring and escape with your pillow cases stuffed with your goodies. You have a thatcham rated immobiliser to protect vehicle from theft. Just fit a safe you need one anyway if you dont want holiday ruined. Get one big enough to take all valuables (still split valuables up though). You can buy alarm stickers on ebay for a few quid, I have Cobra ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alarm-Dummy-Cobra-Window-Stickers/dp/B0036EVUQ0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Cobra-Car-Alarm-Window-Stickers-New-Style-Bargain-/290475120514?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item43a1aa9782

If you want an alarm look for local registered commercial fitters on the Thatcham site. motor home specific companies tend to be a rip off

https://www.thatcham.org/security

We have a Sigma alarm fitted, but as has been said, would not bother, as it can drain your battery. We have fitted Internal dead locks on the cab doors and now fitted dead lock on caravan door, which can be turned to lock from inside the van,as well as outside, for night time use mainly.

We have done this as we had an attempted break in in Spain this year, on a camp site, but thankfully I woke and shouted ,I thought it was the security guard, (it may well have been!!) so they new some was awake. OH slept through it.

PJay

I had an Autowatch 375 on my last van very good never missed a beat. Latest van also has an Autowatch I think it's a 475 (no central locking on van), latest Autowatches even if you have central locking also come with a separate fob so not a problem if you only have one Fiat fob.

You don't say where you are I can recommend a good installer in for Hamshire & Sussex.

lennyhb - 2014-08-26 12:02 PM

I had an Autowatch 375 on my last van very good never missed a beat. Latest van also has an Autowatch I think it's a 475 (no central locking on van), latest Autowatches even if you have central locking also come with a separate fob so not a problem if you only have one Fiat fob.

You don't say where you are I can recommend a good installer in for Hamshire & Sussex.

The Autowatch 375, which I think is a 2-1 Can-Bus upgrade is of interest and I would welcome your recommendation.

I am currently in Spain but will be back in the UK very soon. I will be staying at a campsite in Surrey so Hampshire & Sussex are within easy reach.

Thank you.

Guest JudgeMental
cheap Milenco window alarms a good idea. just reminded of this on another thread as completely forgot to fit to new van..There you are sleeping with your expensive Cat 1 alarm oflashing away, internal sensors turned off. the the toe rags open your window,fish every valuable in sight.....what use an alarm then. this kind of opertunistic theft far more common

• 1 month later...
Any scum bag intent on getting in will laugh at an alarm, and having had a friend put to great inconvenience and cost when his malfunctioned leaving him completely stranded in the back end of nowhere in France was a real hassle to say the least, trying to have a conversation with a French breakdown recovery driver, and later a rural French garage wouldn't be my idea of a fun time. Perhaps as others have said add cons like cab deadlock bolts would be money better spent.

Joe90 - 2014-09-30 7:25 AM

Any scum bag intent on getting in will laugh at an alarm, and having had a friend put to great inconvenience and cost when his malfunctioned leaving him completely stranded in the back end of nowhere in France was a real hassle to say the least, trying to have a conversation with a French breakdown recovery driver, and later a rural French garage wouldn't be my idea of a fun time. Perhaps as others have said add cons like cab deadlock bolts would be money better spent.

But unfortunately, if your van costs more than 40 or 50k very difficult to get insurance without one, most companies insist on an alarm, some even want a tracker as well now that's one thing I don't want. If it gets nicked I want an excuse to buy a new van not a damaged one returned.

Archived