Driving motorhomes at 70

methanol1

Driving motorhomes at 70  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been driving for 45 years,and in 3 years time,I will be 70.I know my licence expires then,but I am unsure what motorhomes I can drive on my new licence.Are there length/weight restrictions,and how often will I need to renew my licence?I have tried to get this info on official sites,but I am still confused!

It's pretty straightforward and there are a number of threads on this forum about it.

You need to renew your driving licence anyway at 70. Apply 90 days before your birthday.

If you want to drive anything over 3.5T you need to also apply to retain your present licence categories by presenting a medical form with your application.

Then every three years after that.

To retain my narrow boat passenger licence I have to do this very year!

If you don't need to renew your C1 entitlement (for MHs over 3,500 kg) then you can do it on line here:

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

If you want to keep your C1 entitlement you need to have a medical examnation (recorded on form D4) and fill in a driving licence application form, either on the Form D47 which DVLA will send you 56 days before your birthday or a Form D2 which you can request in advance, then post them to DVLA.

You cannot apply more than 90 days before your birthday, although if you have special reason to do so (such as being abroad) then write a covering letter with your forms explaining why you are applying ealry.

The medical form remains valid for 4 months from the date of the doctor's signature.

StuartO - 2014-08-26 6:47 PM...................If you want to keep your C1 entitlement you need to have a medical examnation (recorded on form D4) ...................

Plus an eye test. Neither is available under the NHS, so expect to be charged for both.

Whatever you do, make copies of your existing licence (both parts), the application form and the medical report. DVLA is a large organisation and things have gone astray in the past.

When sending off the forms etc, it would be wise to pay for "signed for" postage which includes insurance. Then, if the PO fail to deliver, at least you can get back the cost of the re-test and re-examination, as I suspect DVLA will only accept originals!

If DVLA lose them, you will have proof of delivery, and proof of what you sent. That is your best defence against whatever contrary claims or denials might be made by DVLA.

David Dwight - 2014-08-26 8:12 PM

DVLA will notify you before your 7oth birthday, don't panic. If you want to keep your C1 to drive over 3500 as long has you have sent your application in you can carry on driving as normal. My licence took8 months to come through.

David

8 months!!!!!!. At least you can now drive for 8 months longer.

Guest pelmetman

I wonder if your kids can expect this palaver when they retire at 70 :-S................Or will the goal posts move to 75? :-|.................Somehow I doubt it :D ;-)...............

Which would explain the rush towards making 3500kg campers ;-)..........

Archived