maybe 3 mobile service best for roaming communications?

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Use your phone abroad at no extra cost from mobile provider 3. Your UK allowances valid abroad including data. Not all countries yet (unfortunately Spain not included as yet, Italy and France are) but think I may change when contract up

http://www.three.co.uk/discover/phones/feel_at_home

My son alerted me to this as fed up with TM outrageous roaming charges. Thing is I don't know how good 3 service is genrally

edit: what bugs me is we are supposed to be in a common market with relaxed borders and these phone companies really take the pee..I am aware that moves in place for this monopoly to change this year

Have had the 3 network on pay as you go for some time, always seems fine, and we have rarely found it any different for network coverage than our old Vodafone phone, of course when in France it swaps to whatever French network is available, more often than not Fbouygues on my phone, so how exactly this new service will work is a mystery................. but on pay as you go whilst over there downloading the odd newspaper, and emailing folk never seemed to be a major impact on my data allowance that comes free with a ten pound top up, that lasts me ages.

Quite how the roaming charges will work out now with their recently announced "the same as at home" tarif that you highlight remains to be seen, but I'll know next week when we head over for a good few weeks, and see just how smart my smart phone is !

I've been on Three for a couple of years, paying £15 pcm for more far calls and texts than I ever use and unlimited data - so we've now stopped the home phone line and broadband, and it's OK. They do slow you down from 3pm onwards if you are tethering, as I sometimes do, but it still works. I updated the maps on my Garmin recently and although that took hours and hours, it did do it. Overall it's better than paying another £28 pcm for home WiFi.

The Three network in UK seems to be pretty good, no real reception problems at all.

My data allowance drops to 25G per month while roaming in France but that should be more than enough. Looking forward to just using the phone and the data freely in France, just like at home.

I get the impression that Threee will be expanding this service to the whole of the EU sooner or later. Isn;t there some EU deadline to force all mobie providers to do it sooner rather then later?

Hello Judge,

As above I've used 3 mobile for some time and service is very good. When abroad it finds local services with ease and I can use all the features. I buy a £15 package that lasts for a month (30 days) and then has to be renewed whether or not you have used this allowance. The allowance is 300 minutes, 3,000 texts and unlimited data.

the real bonus is the 'Feel at Home' offer. You can use your allowance, including data, in Australia, Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Macau, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland and the USA.

The one drawback I have found is I can't tether my ipad as I can in the UK.

However, watching the telly on my iphone 4 in Denmark amazed me. Very good picture quality and no stopping and starting.

I can't really compare it to any other service except Orange as used by my wife and she is changing as she is not happy with the service.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes

Colin

Guest JudgeMental

The 3 o'clock issue is probably due to schools being out and network throttling, I certainly notice it where we live in south London

for downloading stuff better to wait till you get free wifi if you can

I think the package is now £18? 600 mins/unlimited text/ unlimited data with probably a fair use policy.

forgot to say this is for 4G service

..unless you need the roaming in the countries three offers now it may be beneficial to wait until next year. The EU drive to abolish roaming charges should lead to some better offers for those who travel.

Indeed the Europa SIM has been withdrawn and there is speculation that Vodafone will soon introduce a pan European offering

Guest Had Enough
ian81 - 2014-08-28 1:05 PM

..unless you need the roaming in the countries three offers now it may be beneficial to wait until next year. The EU drive to abolish roaming charges should lead to some better offers for those who travel.

Indeed the Europa SIM has been withdrawn and there is speculation that Vodafone will soon introduce a pan European offering

There's no doubt that it's a very good deal and 3 are being very clever in persuading people to sign up now. The reason of course is that in late 2015 every other provider will, as you say, be offering roaming as part of your normal package.

But if they can sign up another half a million customers now and not make money on those who roam the chances are that in a year most of them will stay with 3 anyway despite getting 'free' roaming from everyone else. A clever move to poach a lot of customers!

Guest JudgeMental
its 4G, no one else that I can see is offering it for free. only down side is Spain not included and hopefully heading there next month....

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-08-28 1:49 PM

its 4G, no one else that I can see is offering it for free. only down side is Spain not included and hopefully heading there next month....

I agree but my point was that they all will be soon. So sign them up now!

Guest JudgeMental

Not only Spain, Germany missing as well.......maybe not so good. But I can get a rolling monthly deal for £15 so I'm still thinking about it although not much use in Spain next month. But at least not locked into a contract so can jump onto a better deal anytime

had a look at this earlier last week, looks a good deal....on sim only deals you can tether upto 4gb of your allowance, so great for iPads etc..

will be of across the water on Tuesday, France first then Spain....Where are you heading Eddie, Benidorm?

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2014-08-30 12:24 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-08-30 10:37 AM

Benidorm or Istanbul..not sure yet :-D

hope the sat nav knows.... :-)

would be a nice drive but no Istanbul will be flight for 8 days October half term. Or its 4/6 weeks in Benidorm on my own with wife joining me at half term....I'm OK with my own company and probably talk to more people there during the day then I do here, its just going out in the evening on your own a bit grim. Still....better then here! plenty of cycling and staying active, just what the doctor ordered :-D

Archived