Timing Belt on Ducato 100 Multijet engine

johnlc

I've noticed on this thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Timing-belt-on-Fiat-Ducato/30721/

that Derek Uzzell has identified that the 100 Multijet engine has a "for life" timing belt that doesn't need changing. This is good news!

So what is the accessory drive belt that my Ducato manual refers to?

It says this should be changed at 120000km.

My van is 6 years old next month but only done 22000 miles.

Will it be necessary to change this belt anyway because of the van's age, irrespective of mileage?

Thanks for your help

Hello

Your accessory belt will more than likely be the belt that runs the alternator, PAS (if conventional type) and Air Con (if you have it).

This may have a time interval also.

If not it is up to you if you change it. This decision will probably be down to cost and if you want the inconvenience of it snapping.

You should be able to inspect it under the bonnet as it should be visible with a torch. It will more than likely be a multi ribbed belt. If it looks in poor condition you may want to get it changed.

Hope this helps

Guest Peter James
johnlc - 2014-08-27 10:02 AM

that Derek Uzzell has identified that the 100 Multijet engine has a "for life" timing belt that doesn't need changing.

Its a chain not a belt. Thats why it doesn't need changing.

The alternator belt is one of the new type stretchy belts. There are no adjustment points, it has to be stretched over the pulleys. There are various special tools designed to do this. Some people say they can do it with a big screwdriver, but I don't know if that damages the belt.

Peter James - 2014-08-27 12:29 PM

johnlc - 2014-08-27 10:02 AM

that Derek Uzzell has identified that the 100 Multijet engine has a "for life" timing belt that doesn't need changing.

Its a chain not a belt. Thats why it doesn't need changing.

The alternator belt is one of the new type stretchy belts. There are no adjustment points, it has to be stretched over the pulleys. There are various special tools designed to do this. Some people say they can do it with a big screwdriver, but I don't know if that damages the belt.

For the record, Derek Uzzell did not do that (as should be plain from the 24 March 2013 6:15 PM posting in the forum-thread referred to by johnlc).

I was under the impression that, during the period when Fiat was installing the 100 Mutijet motor in Ducatos, FWD Transits had a 'stretchy' main auxiliary-drivebelt when the vehicle did not have cab air-conditioning and a conventional ‘non-stretchy’ belt when the vehicle had cab air-conditioning. And in both Transit cases there was a separate, much shorter, drivebelt for the power-steering pump.

As the 100 MJ motor that Fiat fitted to Ducato was effectively the same 2.2litre motor used in contemporary FWD Transits, I've assumed that the auxiliary-drivebelt arrangement would also be the same. Is that assumption wrong, please?

Derek

Sincere apologies if I appear to have attributed something to you incorrectly.

What I meant was that you had identified something on the Fiat camper website and mentioned it on the forum. A Fiat professional dealer has confirmed that the 2.2 JTD 100 multijet is the Ford engine and the timing "belt" is a chain. He says it can't be checked and when it breaks a new engine is needed!

He says the accessory drive belt is for air con/power steering.

Hi,

I can confirm that the 2.2 multijet engine fitted to your camper is indeed a ford engine it has a double row chain. I know this because my engine was taken apart after catastrophic engine failure after number 3 piston failed after 33,000 miles. it is a known problem with this engine.£4,600 repair bill I have now got rid of it.

Geoff C

Archived