ACSI Works For Us

Guest Had Enough

Guest Had Enough

There's another thread running in which some odd claims are being made about ACSI. Such as how many site owners laughed and threw the card back and said that they were much cheaper without the card.

This is all very odd as the whole point of ACSI is to give its members a better deal and with ACSI prices as low as €11 it does seem strange that with EHU these sites were cheaper.

It would be interesting to be told which sites these are as I find the whole thing a bit dodgy!

Our experience since August 15th is:

Seven nights here http://www.campinglesolitaire.com/en/fees.html

Our favourite site at Annecy where, from the 16th, the ACSI price is €16. The gate price is €23.20 and €2.60 more if you have a dog. We don't have a dog but we saved €7.20 a night for seven nights, total €50.40.

After a spell on a muni near Aix les Bain (about €25 per night) we had three nights on a muni at Chatillon sur Challaronne. Not an ACSI site but the card got us a 10% discount, saving €8.60.

We've recently arrived at another Chatillon, Chatillon sur Seine. It's another muni and the gate price is €20.40. ACSI is €14, so a three night saving of €19.20.

Total saving since August 16th is €68.20.

We saved a large amount in May and June on the Ile de Re and in the Dordogne and I reckon that this year the card has saved us a minimum of €150 and possibly up to €200. I'm not sure as I can't be bothered checking the sites prices for that trip but I do know that we saved on all of them.

I have never found an ACSI site where the price is cheaper than the card price. Some are close and if you'll forgo EHU it may come in less than ACSI, but that's not comparing like for like.

So my message is - don't be put off by scare stories. used sensibly an ACSI card can save you quite a few bob.

we are off to France shortly

campsite in Ile D'oleron ACSI 14E gate price 18E campsite Sarlat ACSI 12E gate price 18E happy days

2 years ago we stayed in a site in Spain we were paying 16E with ACSI neighbours 32E same pitch (we didn't tell them)

Thumbs up for ACSI. Please don't go to a campsite and expect a discount even if it has the ACSI sign, that is NOT the discount scheme. It's only the sites in the book and not the DVD that are in the campingcard scheme

Even in high season we find the ACSI book useful for finding a suitable site, as has our daughter's family using the previous year's book we that hand down to them (since they have to go in school hols).

We did once have the card waved aside at an Italian Lakes site on the basis that it was their usual price anyway.

To us it is an essential annual buy, well worth the money. If you don't find it suits, don't buy it, there's no need to put others off it.

Guest pelmetman
In general ACSI works out the cheapest option out of season............although if long terming on one site for a few months then often that'll be cheaper without the ACSI ;-)......

We have used ACSI since 2007 and only once had a problem . In 2010 we decided to tour the Mosel from Trier to Koblensk and found an ACSI site which was within the discount band Mid September . I walked into reception with my ACSI card in my hand and asked for a pitch , the guy looked at the card and then said " We are Full " although the campsite was less than half occupied . After that episode I never show my card until its time to pay or offered a pitch .

bertieburstner - 2014-08-27 4:24 PM

Please don't go to a campsite and expect a discount even if it has the ACSI sign, that is NOT the discount scheme. It's only the sites in the book and not the DVD that are in the campingcard scheme.

I think you need to clarify that as ALL sites are listed on the dvd. The Guidebook lists LESS sites but comes with the Camping Card which may in some cases enable a discounted price out of season.

pelmetman - 2014-08-27 5:29 PM

In general ACSI works out the cheapest option out of season............although if long terming on one site for a few months then often that'll be cheaper without the ACSI ;-)

BIB is what it's all about......."out of season".

It's easy enough (for some!) to figure as it actually states on ACSI's own website; Up to 50% discount in the low season at more than 2739 campsites inspected by ACSI in 20 countries!

Guest Had Enough

It's easy really. The DVD is just a list of 8000+ ACSI inspected campsites. If you want to take advantage of the much smaller number of sites which are in the ACSI discount scheme you need to buy the book which comes with the card.

The low season is clearly stated in the book. The site in Annecy that we used started its ACSI price on August 15th. The one we're on now started on the 25th. Some start September 1st.

In the early part of the year we've had the ACSI price up to the end of June or the first week of July.

I'd like to see some proof about these sites that offer ACSI but whose gate price is actually cheaper. I have never come across this when you compare like with like, which is EHU included.

I await with baited breath! But I won't be holding it!

Bought the book a few years ago, only found one site with discount rates in the area of Germany we were in it a whole Euro over gate price and if wanted to use the showers you still had to pay (supposed to be included). Never bothered since probably better value if you are using sites in France, recent years we have never found the need for sites in France.

I was led to believe the ACSI sites catered for a better class of clientele, once again a shattered illusion lol.

Seems they'll accept any argumentative old rif raf....

We use Acsi sites whenever we can, on a few occasions the ACSI price was very near to the gate price. I sometimes wonder if the eco tax, tourist tax or whatever tax is inflated when using ACSI just to get a bit extra out of you.

We were on a site in Croatia this year. We planned to leave it on June 30th which was the last day of the low season but it was so nice we thought we would stop an extra day in the sunshine even if it meant paying a bit more, although as the site was almost empty and we had been there for a week we thought they might keep the same rate.. I asked at he reception, they said it would be 52 Euros for the extra day, we were paying 18 Euros per day with ACSI. Needless to say being a canny Yorkshire man we moved on rather quickly.

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2014-08-27 9:12 PM

Seems they'll accept any argumentative old rif raf....

You didn't mention that you'd been on an ACSI site recently Onefoot. Now that you're back and on form why not go back to Chatterbox. It's been ages since there was a bigoted and racist thread.

Hi All Never had a problem using ACSI ,and over last four years, making good savings.Our last trip was to Greece and card was readily accepted .On site in Stoupa there was an ACSI inspector ,had a chat with him and he advised that ACSI was talking to many UK sites and getting a good feedback from sites re joining the scheme and hopefully making UK sites a lot more affordable .

Cliffy - 2014-08-28 12:20 AM

We were on a site in Croatia this year. We planned to leave it on June 30th which was the last day of the low season but it was so nice we thought we would stop an extra day in the sunshine even if it meant paying a bit more, although as the site was almost empty and we had been there for a week we thought they might keep the same rate.. I asked at he reception, they said it would be 52 Euros for the extra day, we were paying 18 Euros per day with ACSI. Needless to say being a canny Yorkshire man we moved on rather quickly.

Blimey you have just tempted me to give it another try if we go to Croatia.

Guest Had Enough
lennyhb - 2014-08-28 9:45 AM

Cliffy - 2014-08-28 12:20 AM

Blimey you have just tempted me to give it another try if we go to Croatia.

We found the same in Croatia two years ago. ACSI saved us a lot of money.

I do agree though about some sites in Germany. In Bavaria they're allowed to add a tourist tax. One site we stayed on on our way to Slovenia added €5 to the ACSI fee.

I've no doubt that they added it to other fees as well but I also suspect that the tourist tax was nowhere near €5.

ACSI works much better in some countries than others, but where it does work it really can save a lot of dosh if you use sites. And in Croatia wild camping is forbidden so you won't have much choice.

Archived