Wheel Nuts for Spare

hacho

I have just discovered that the wheel nuts that fit the "Alloy Wheels"on my Mercedes Sprinter based Camper will not fit my spare wheel which is a "Steel Wheel" It is quite normal to carry the steel wheel as a spare of course but the wheel studs for alloy are longer than for steel,therefore,they will not tighten up enough to fasten the wheel securely to the hub. l have now obtained a set of wheel nuts for a steel wheel. If you have Alloy wheels on your camper you might want to check what your spare is?

From memory the nuts vary where they bed onto the wheel. The angle of the nut is different for steel and aluminium wheels and so using the wrong type may not give a secure fit. I am sure someone else has come across this problem and can confirm this or not.

Yes I think you are right there, the taper is a different angle. I think if you go back through old posts about a year or more ago, there was quite a long bit of information on the subject by a garage proprieter. Also why steel wheels unscrew and come off, but not alloy ones.

The problem is that as the alloy wheel studs are longer than those required for the thinner steel wheel if you do tighten them up all the way they will protrude through the wheel hub may and catch on the disc brake calliper (that holds the disc pads in place) and prevent the wheel turning or worst still possibly damage/break calliper meaning no brakes! Also if the end of the stud is badly damaged or even bent it may mean it will be very difficult or impossilbe to remove it resulting in requiring a new wheel hub. The same applies to drum brakes in which case the hydraulic wheel cylinders and or brake adjusters within the drum can be likewise damaged. Regards Pat

[QUOTE]Ranger - 2006-09-20 11:28 PM Yes I think you are right there, the taper is a different angle. I think if you go back through old posts about a year or more ago, there was quite a long bit of information on the subject by a garage proprieter. Also why steel wheels unscrew and come off, but not alloy ones.[/QUOTE]Sometimes the nuts and alloys almost seem to weld themselves together after a long period, and I always put a smear of copper grease between the two when replacing. Howard.

Archived