France in October

bluereiver

Due to having some eye surgery we have had to put of our 3 week trip to France until the end of September.

Normally we would do Champagne ,Burgundy and back via Loire but don't know what to expect weather wise in October.

Any views or suggestions ??????

Like the UK it's a bit of a lottery - might be warm and sunny might be cool and damp - but whatever it is there is always the chance that it will be more pleasant than October in the UK - but no guarantees!

Just do it - life's too short to not go away because of the weather!

Likely to be the same as the south of UK. I would head further south, we have always had good weather in Provence, Dordogne, Languedoc during October. Much more interesting places to, try the Tarn and Verdon gorges, great in October when the crowds are gone.

Many campsites close early in that area as we found to our cost, though I suppose that aires will still be open. But further south is the better bet, I think. Have been down there as late as November, of course it's dark earlier and dewy in the mornings, and not guaranteed to be dry.

Guest JudgeMental
Have been to Brittany in September and it's been all closed up and deserted. Only chance is Mediterranean Spain for decent weather or furthers still.........you can get there in a few days even on none toll routes....

Thanks for the helpful suggestions

. We have to drive 400 miles to get from home to the channel tunnel ( and another 400 home ) so I like to limit the driving in France to about 1000 miles or so. We will only have 3 weeks in France and I don't want to spend a lot of it driving.

I reckon my best bet is to get to Burgundy, see what the weather is like then head south to either Provence or Dordogne.

Sam

Guest JudgeMental
That makes more sense, but September onward France can be variable if not downright grim. Provence the best bet.....

Archived