To change a camper or don't change.......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Just thought I'd ask the awkward question ;-)................like how much it'll cost you in the long term :D...........

ie.......to keep changing vans ;-).............

Guest pelmetman
Billggski - 2014-08-30 8:33 PM

How long is a piece of string?

So many variables but it's pretty certain you'll lose money either way.

Fair comment...........but as we all know........ well to those of us who have been at it for a few years ;-)........the perfect camper does not exist 8-)................Although to some who have campered for all of their lives and changed campers to accommodate their expanding brood, then changing campers make sense :->........

This thread is aimed at those folk who are in their advanced years, like my parents were ...........who in my view spent their money......................and were suckered by the salesmen who cared not whether they were capable of using a 50k camper to its full potential *-) ...............

Does it really matter?

Those who can will if they want to because they can and those who can't won't because they can't.

I can't see any point in building up a family fortune over a working lifetime of saving and being careful not to have a few flutters and splash the cash whenever the mood takes us.

So whilst we are happy with the van we have if we see one we like lore we will buy it, or a car, or a boat, or a TV or any other darned blingy or not so blingy thingy that takes our fancy.

The day we start worrying about the cost is the day before we stop doing it.

Simples.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-08-30 9:05 PM

Does it really matter?

Those who can will if they want to because they can and those who can't won't because they can't.

I can't see any point in building up a family fortune over a working lifetime of saving and being careful not to have a few flutters and splash the cash whenever the mood takes us.

So whilst we are happy with the van we have if we see one we like lore we will buy it, or a car, or a boat, or a TV or any other darned blingy or not so blingy thingy that takes our fancy.

The day we start worrying about the cost is the day before we stop doing it.

Simples.

I take on board what say Rich ;-).....................But my experience is based on experience :-|................my parents had been tuggers from my childhood..............even had my first honeymoon in their Thomson Gleneagle in Clacton :D....................they never looked at campers until we inherited Horace? :-S.............

Quite why they bought their first A/S PVC camper the next year is beyond me *-)..............or the next A/S Clubman...........or the Compass CB.................or the Pilote A Class............or the Rapido Merc A Class...........or the B Class Hymer..................all within 10 years *-)......................BUT they never went anywhere 8-).................they crossed the channel twice..............once to follow us around Brittany and the next time on their own to Spain :-S...............

Where they remain as ashes in a couple of urns...............not my idea of a nice earner :-|................

We lost tons of dosh (squandered ,blew ,threw away ) although we would have been happy to stick with our second van if it hadnt had a knackered comfortmatic gearbox:but life throws these obstacles at you and you do what you thinks right at the time: and buy a brand new van (didnt like it at all ). And trade up to an older bigger one : cut a long story short lost loadsa money but had the best three years of my life , then in january realised that actually we never going to have time to use van to its full potential so sold it back to dealers (yep another loss ! ) still dont regret it : ive learnt loads except as much as i want to gad about nothings changed and ive still got work and family commitments : im glad i had the time with a van , and getting a new van is a brill feeling i think its a bit like being on an adrenalin high lol ....could be addictive, pelmetman didnt you inherit horace ? You lucky devil pp:) i certainly love to look at them ..... Motorhomes i mean) I think im turning into a bit of an anorak lol , and now its old caravans too ,,,, what next stamps? Ps i might also say its the only time ive ever done that in my life wherein for a change i didnt do the "sensible"thing and just didnt give a rats A about how much it cost! Just did it cos i wanted to ..... Great feeling lol

Pelmetman.......................

I'd sooner go round in a 25 year old knacker, fighting to keep rust at bay, doing resprays to cover it up, be shaken from pillar to post, be deafened by the noise of the engine, then spend the rest of my time extolling the virtues of going around in outdated crap..............and encourage other poor sods to do the same, I'm suffering so why shouldn't they.

In between that, spend countless how many hours on the internet dreaming up more crap to post on forums, including the fact that my parents spent their money on themselves, instead of leaving it to me.

For pitys sake change the record..................mind you I guarantee you've probably still got those as well.

Guest pelmetman
Pampam - 2014-08-30 9:33 PM

We lost tons of dosh (squandered ,blew ,threw away ) although we would have been happy to stick with our second van if it hadnt had a knackered comfortmatic gearbox:but life throws these obstacles at you and you do what you thinks right at the time: and buy a brand new van (didnt like it at all ). And trade up to an older bigger one : cut a long story short lost loadsa money but had the best three years of my life , then in january realised that actually we never going to have time to use van to its full potential so sold it back to dealers (yep another loss ! ) still dont regret it : ive learnt loads except as much as i want to gad about nothings changed and ive still got work and family commitments : im glad i had the time with a van , and getting a new van is a brill feeling i think its a bit like being on an adrenalin high lol ....could be addictive, pelmetman didnt you inherit horace ? You lucky devil pp:) i certainly love to look at them ..... Motorhomes i mean) I think im turning into a bit of an anorak lol , and now its old caravans too ,,,, what next stamps?

Yes we inherited Horace Pam................and I to have lost thousands ;-)...........When it comes to doing the sums :D..............owning a boat beats campervans hands down for losing money, especially if you times it by days used 8-)..............the analogy "Standing in a a cold shower tearing up £50 pound notes" is very accurate 8-)...................but I loved it, especially in bad weather :->.............

Which is why I can't understand my parents.......................maybe spending money was their fix :-S............

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2014-08-30 9:38 PM

Pelmetman.......................

I'd sooner go round in a 25 year old knacker, fighting to keep rust at bay, doing resprays to cover it up, be shaken from pillar to post, be deafened by the noise of the engine, then spend the rest of my time extolling the virtues of going around in outdated crap..............and encourage other poor sods to do the same, I'm suffering so why shouldn't they.

In between that, spend countless how many hours on the internet dreaming up more crap to post on forums, including the fact that my parents spent their money on themselves, instead of leaving it to me.

For pitys sake change the record..................mind you I guarantee you've probably still got those as well.

Welcome home 1foot...........Oh how I've missed you:D..............BTW did you sort your Truma trauma?...............trouble is my Stockholm syndrome is now in a quandary ;-).............

Guest pelmetman

So has anyone done the sums?..............and would you care to let newbies know what the real costs of changing your camper every 3 years is ;-)..........

I think most folk do not realise is, that a motorhome is just a tool, to use as intended, to explore, go where you want, when you want, ect. Unless you own a van that is giving lots of trouble and expense Why change it, is it to get the latest styling, with lots of new gismos , to try and keep up with the Joneses, and of course those poor motorhome dealers with a roof over their heads.

Of course everyone is perfectly entitled to spend their money as they feel fit, I personally have owned my motorhome from new for over 9yrs, and iv looked at new ones in the showrooms and at the price tags 8-) and think what does that offer me that I do not have with the one I have already, and the answer is not much. I keep my van polished and clean, and well maintained.

I much prefer to spend spare money on my children, but then that's just me.

Guest Had Enough
chas - 2014-08-31 7:12 AM

I think most folk do not realise is, that a motorhome is just a tool, to use as intended, to explore, go where you want, when you want, ect. Unless you own a van that is giving lots of trouble and expense Why change it, is it to get the latest styling, with lots of new gismos , to try and keep up with the Joneses, and of course those poor motorhome dealers with a roof over their heads.

Of course everyone is perfectly entitled to spend their money as they feel fit, I personally have owned my motorhome from new for over 9yrs, and iv looked at new ones in the showrooms and at the price tags 8-) and think what does that offer me that I do not have with the one I have already, and the answer is not much. I keep my van polished and clean, and well maintained.

That is one of the most patronising and insulting posts I've seen for a long time.

'Most people do not realise that a motorhome is a tool .................' Really? So it's just you who does it right is it? We're all idiots who are just keeping up with the Joneses. That's even funnier as how many of us have neighbours who are motorhomers and how are my neighbours going to be impressed by a different motorhome on the drive? My neighbours think I'm odd for choosing to holiday in a tin box.

Has it occurred to you that in nine years motorhomes have come on enormously and if it's someone's hobby why the hell shouldn't they treat themselves if they can afford it?

So I won't be working out how much it costs me to swap my 'van occasionally. I won't be working out how much money I'll save if I run my car for twenty years instead of getting a new one every two or three.

I won't be working out how much I could save if I never eat in a restaurant or never go to a concert, after all, it's much cheaper to buy a CD isn't it? I won't be working out how much I'll save by buying my suits off the peg from M&S rather than having them made to measure.

And just think how much we could save if we only drank water instead of wine, or beer, or spirits. Water's free you know, why would anyone want to waste their money on anything else?

This is all that matters - that you live within your means. That every year you make sure that you spend less than what comes in. For some that means a new motorhome whenever they want one. For others it means not being able to upgrade their 'van ever and run it until it disintegrates.

But those who can't afford a new 'van may still be able to afford wine, which many people can't.

It's time that one or two on here stopped worrying about other people and how they spend their money and worry about themselves.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-31 7:52 AM

That is one of the most patronising and insulting posts I've seen for a long time.

You need to reread a few of your own posts Frank ;-)..............

But the original question remains, and newbies would no doubt benefit from a few figures........

So I've done some sums :D

First camper 33k................deposit 1k.............balance 32k..........cost of finance over 36 month £39559.

Deprecation/ trade in value 23k........................................total cost £49559 for three years mohoing which works out £16519 a year before you fill it with fuel or book a campsite 8-).........

Second camper 43k...........trade in 23k...........balance 20k.............cost of finance over 36 months £22390.

Depreciation/trade in value 33k........................................total cost £32390 for three years mohoing which works out at £10796 a year before you turn the key, so the annual cost is decreasing ;-).............cost over 6 years of buying and trading in £81949.............

Less 33k residual camper value = £48949 total cost of 6 years moho owning...............

Are my figures correct? ;-)..........

pelmetman - 2014-08-31 9:18 AM

You need to reread a few of your own posts Frank ;-)..............

But the original question remains, and newbies would no doubt benefit from a few figures........

So I've done some sums :D

First camper 33k................deposit 1k.............balance 32k..........cost of finance over 36 month £39559.

Deprecation/ trade in value 23k........................................total cost £49559 for three years mohoing which works out £16519 a year before you fill it with fuel or book a campsite 8-).........

Second camper 43k...........trade in 23k...........balance 20k.............cost of finance over 36 months £22390.

Depreciation/trade in value 33k........................................total cost £32390 for three years mohoing which works out at £10796 a year before you turn the key, so the annual cost is decreasing ;-).............cost over 6 years of buying and trading in £81949.............

Less 33k residual camper value = £48949 total cost of 6 years moho owning...............

Are my figures correct? ;-)..........

If people cannot work out the sums maybe they shouldn't be allowed to handle any sums of money. Maybe as people get older they should hand over control of their money to there offspring who will no doubt give them a suitable amount of pocket money to live on.

And why include interest on a loan? Surely anyone pays cash.

A better question might be, "Why am I squandering 90% of my income when I could be spending more on motorhoming?

However, to answer the OP's question, we've never spent more than 10% of income measured over 5 year periods and tour total 20 years of motorhoming. We set that target in 1994 and have kept to it.

When we were thinking of a new van, we calculated the cost of changing and the cost of not changing set against current and future affordability and benefits. Affordability was a big issue with retirement looming.

Factors we included were the additional safety features [eg passenger airbag] compared to value of a life, rising new van prices/inflation, low interest rates, flattening out depreciation on our existing van, maintenance including personal time, cost of ownership such as tax and insurance, alternative uses of the money, and numerous issues that were particular to our current and future life such as work commitments, income and tax, use of van frequency and purpose. We calculated all this out over the expected term of ownership. It showed that the earliest we could afford to change was 2011, the latest 2016. We changed vans in 2013.

This may seem 'nerdy' but if I was spending my employer's money, it would expect me to do a similar calculation so why would I care more about its money than my own?

George Best is oft reported as saying, "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered".

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2014-08-31 11:15 AM

And why include interest on a loan? Surely anyone pays cash.

Interesting thought................naturally if one has a lump sum sitting around then you'll save yourself 000's

........... I used this useful site to do my sums ;-)......

http://www.brownhills.co.uk/finance

Which would indicate to me, many folk have finance :D...............

The fact that your parents chose to buy a MH instead of leaving the money in an account for you seems to be the issue here. 

The point you seem to have missed is that 'they chose to spend their money'  with the emphasis being on 'their'. 

No-one 'spends their kids inheritance'.  You don't inherit anything until the person willing it to you has died; until that time it is not 'your' anything.  How much they spent or 'lost' as you choose to call it, on the MH is frankly non of your business.  TBH, if I caught my kids speaking about my spending 'their inheritance' I would promptly change my will in favour of the dog's home. 

pelmetman - 2014-08-31 3:03 PM

So?..whether they do or not is down to them, not you. It's not your money they're buying their vans with, so what's your issue?...

As I've said before, you're not still trundling around in your patched up Fiat Amigo are you..

No..you were lucky enough to be given an 18month old MH(when you were in your late 30s?)and yet you still constantly snipe and poke fun at thoughs who have actually their spent money to obtain/change their vehicles..

As Tracker said: "Those who can will if they want to because they can and those who can't won't because they can't"

OT- I thought you told us not so long back(on your "Missed appointments" thread) that your time was far to valuable to be wasting it contacting your NHS to find out why you(and Mrs Pelmet?)had been struck off the hospital waiting list?

Wouldn't your time be better spent doing that, rather than posting more twaddle on here? *-)

chas - 2014-08-31 7:12 AM

'Most people do not realise that a motorhome is a tool .................' Really? So it's just you who does it right is it? We're all idiots who are just keeping up with the Joneses. That's even funnier as how many of us have neighbours who are motorhomers and how are my neighbours going to be impressed by a different motorhome on the drive? My neighbours think I'm odd for choosing to holiday in a tin box.

Has it occurred to you that in nine years motorhomes have come on enormously and if it's someone's hobby why the hell shouldn't they treat themselves if they can afford it?

So I won't be working out how much it costs me to swap my 'van occasionally. I won't be working out how much money I'll save if I run my car for twenty years instead of getting a new one every two or three.

I won't be working out how much I could save if I never eat in a restaurant or never go to a concert, after all, it's much cheaper to buy a CD isn't it? I won't be working out how much I'll save by buying my suits off the peg from M&S rather than having them made to measure.

And just think how much we could save if we only drank water instead of wine, or beer, or spirits. Water's free you know, why would anyone want to waste their money on anything else?

This is all that matters - that you live within your means. That every year you make sure that you spend less than what comes in. For some that means a new motorhome whenever they want one. For others it means not being able to upgrade their 'van ever and run it until it disintegrates.

But those who can't afford a new 'van may still be able to afford wine, which many people can't.

It's time that one or two on here stopped worrying about other people and how they spend their money and worry about themselves.

Might not have always agreed in past Frank but you are spot on in your observations here. We do change our van a lot, every three years or so, either in response to changed circumstances, like wanting to take grandchildren with us from time to time, or liking a new design that has come onto the market. Hence this week changing our Tribute for a larger Rapido with island bed and drop down centre bed. Yes changing often does cost a lot but we enjoy our hobby and the places we visit, so choose to spend in this way. In no way do we do it to keep up with anyone else nor do we think ourselves in any way better than those who choose to keep a van they clearly like for much longer than us.

Guest pelmetman
Madmaggott - 2014-08-31 4:09 PMThe fact that your parents chose to buy a MH instead of leaving the money in an account for you seems to be the issue here. 

The point you seem to have missed is that 'they chose to spend their money'  with the emphasis being on 'their'. 

No-one 'spends their kids inheritance'.  You don't inherit anything until the person willing it to you has died; until that time it is not 'your' anything.  How much they spent or 'lost' as you choose to call it, on the MH is frankly non of your business.  TBH, if I caught my kids speaking about my spending 'their inheritance' I would promptly change my will in favour of the dog's home. 

I fear you have got the wrong end of the stick Maggie..........It's not that my parents wasted their money on buying campers that bothers me ;-)..................Its that they wasted their retirement on buying campers *-)..............As for my own financial situation, I have far more capitol than they had when they eventually retired, which is why I've been semi retired for 10 years...........because I didn't waste it buying new campers :D........

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-08-31 4:20 PM

pelmetman - 2014-08-31 3:03 PM

So?..whether they do or not is down to them, not you. It's not your money they're buying their vans with, so what's your issue?...

As I've said before, you're not still trundling around in your patched up Fiat Amigo are you..

No..you were lucky enough to be given an 18month old MH(when you were in your late 30s?)and yet you still constantly snipe and poke fun at thoughs who have actually their spent money to obtain/change their vehicles..

As Tracker said: "Those who can will if they want to because they can and those who can't won't because they can't"

OT- I thought you told us not so long back(on your "Missed appointments" thread) that your time was far to valuable to be wasting it contacting your NHS to find out why you(and Mrs Pelmet?)had been struck off the hospital waiting list?

Wouldn't your time be better spent doing that, rather than posting more twaddle on here? *-)

Twaddle? :-S............

I'd of thought letting newbies know that changing a camper every 3 years is likely to cost them in the region of 10k a year, before they use it, is info that is worth pointing out to people, before they get involved with our hobby ;-)

You can bet your bottom dollar a salesman wont be pointing out that little nugget of info >:-)................

Guest JudgeMental
A valiant effort Jacky and Pepe..I actually thought for once you had managed to shut this fruitcake up..Alas it appears not......You need to shut it pelmet and get a life. Anyone with half a brain has no interest in your constant carping on about money however you might like to justify it.....

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2014-08-31 6:44 PM

A valiant effort Jacky and Pepe..I actually thought for once you had managed to shut this fruitcake up..Alas it appears not......You need to shut it pelmet and get a life. Anyone with half a brain has no interest in your constant carping on about money however you might like to justify it.....

I got a comfortable life thanks Eddie ;-)...................Curiously I thought this was a motorhome forum? :-S.........

Is the cost of motorhome ownership not a valid topic?.............

Archived