To change a camper or don't change.......

Guest pelmetman

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2014-08-31 7:52 AM

chas - 2014-08-31 7:12 AM

I think most folk do not realise is, that a motorhome is just a tool, to use as intended, to explore, go where you want, when you want, ect. Unless you own a van that is giving lots of trouble and expense Why change it, is it to get the latest styling, with lots of new gismos , to try and keep up with the Joneses, and of course those poor motorhome dealers with a roof over their heads.

Of course everyone is perfectly entitled to spend their money as they feel fit, I personally have owned my motorhome from new for over 9yrs, and iv looked at new ones in the showrooms and at the price tags 8-) and think what does that offer me that I do not have with the one I have already, and the answer is not much. I keep my van polished and clean, and well maintained.

I much prefer to spend spare money on my children, but then that's just me.

That is one of the most patronising and insulting posts I've seen for a long time.

'Most people do not realise that a motorhome is a tool .................' Really? So it's just you who does it right is it? We're all idiots who are just keeping up with the Joneses. That's even funnier as how many of us have neighbours who are motorhomers and how are my neighbours going to be impressed by a different motorhome on the drive? My neighbours think I'm odd for choosing to holiday in a tin box.

Has it occurred to you that in nine years motorhomes have come on enormously and if it's someone's hobby why the hell shouldn't they treat themselves if they can afford it?

So I won't be working out how much it costs me to swap my 'van occasionally. I won't be working out how much money I'll save if I run my car for twenty years instead of getting a new one every two or three.

I won't be working out how much I could save if I never eat in a restaurant or never go to a concert, after all, it's much cheaper to buy a CD isn't it? I won't be working out how much I'll save by buying my suits off the peg from M&S rather than having them made to measure.

And just think how much we could save if we only drank water instead of wine, or beer, or spirits. Water's free you know, why would anyone want to waste their money on anything else?

This is all that matters - that you live within your means. That every year you make sure that you spend less than what comes in. For some that means a new motorhome whenever they want one. For others it means not being able to upgrade their 'van ever and run it until it disintegrates.

But those who can't afford a new 'van may still be able to afford wine, which many people can't.

It's time that one or two on here stopped worrying about other people and how they spend their money and worry about themselves.

Good to see you are back on form Victor, I thought you were ill (lol)

I get what he is saying though. Most people don't change tools like drills/washing machine/iron/vacuum cleaner every couple of years like they do cars or camper vans. They keep it till its kn*ckered.

well, having sold my old hymer b544 a few years back due to its high mileage. I went to a caravan mainly due to the lack of on cost. no road tax, mot etc. hated that sold it last week lost a packed on that. now back to a motorhome. In answer I wished I had just had a new engine fitted in the hymer.

Most of the time, people change their cars, motorhomes because the manufactures have redesigned the lights, added a new colour etc.

if it works, keep it. swapping all the time is playing into the dealers hands, wastes money even if you have to waste why give it away. we all know that you lost 2% as soon as you get the keys, why do it again. michael

The thing is, we don't tend to chop and change anything, be it vans, cars, phones etc, if it does what we want we keep it, the last camper we had for some 12(? ) years, this one we will proboly keep for 10+ years, BUT, if people want to do that it's up to them, it keeps a healthy market, both in new build vans and secondhand ones.

The latest vehicle mechanics are easier on my brain, thats why I changed vans over the years. Colour and fashion 'R not us' ... simplicity is.

I spend my time looking out the window for variable interests not admiring the inside which is someone else's design.

Cost is not important, if it will do what I need for a given period, then that's all I look for.

Will

Archived