Motorhome driving on minor roads near Stanage Edge - Yorkshire

johnlc

Has anyone driven their van to park as close as possible to walk Stanage Edge in the Peak District? The road I am looking at at is going through Ringinglow west of Sheffield.

Other considerations are from Bamford or Hathersage.

If anyone knows that these are feasible for motorhome use and parking in the area, it would be good to know

Thanks

Shouldn't be a problem - buses drive all round there as well.

Road out from Ringinglow is straightforward, but watch out for unmarked plod vans with cameras poking out. You could probably overnight at the car park on the bend just below Higger Tor.

I've also spent a few nights in the car park of the Millstone Inn, on the main road down into Hathersage from Fox House. You get really good views across the valley (weather permitting!) and the pub is happy to let you overnight if you eat / drink in the pub.

You'll be alright in your camper but watch the other idiots coming towards you. Try and visit outside peak periods - roads are much busier at weekends. Avoid school holidays if you can.

Look at Google Maps, the satellite and street view. Whilst we say you'll be OK, you need to feel that you will be so have a look on Google or equivalent.

I did it a few years ago in 6.27m long, 2.27m wide motorhome at a weekend.

Oh and search the web and you'll find parking information.

Its a fine road to drive on , theres a good carpark before the millstone up on't tops but you cant overnight , theres a nice campsite just before hope , and o cc one at castleton , theres also an off the beaten track one at bradwell, ( left at the travellers rest ) a lovely deli cafe after you leave hathersage on the left where the food is amazing (all home made )and thru the windows you can watch the birds on the bird feeders being fed next t' river , have a lovely time !hope has a nice deli too pp:)

Archived