Facebook

gwyn

For the benefit of anyone on here who like me has got fed up with all the mud slinging and nasty comments, there are a couple of good, helpful motorhome groups on fb. The best thing about them is that they are private groups so therefore people who are rude and obnoxious get thrown off the site!!!

Why on earth would any of us want to use the dreadful young people's 'social media'/dangerous 'Gossip Shop' that is 'Facebook' when we can use this 'Friendly Forum' with its cornucopia of helpful experts (?)!

Cheers,

A puzzled

Colin.

P.S. Perhaps some of you women will suggest using 'twitterese' or 'textspeak' next!

"What is the world coming to?" I ask myself!

C.

Guest Had Enough
Symbol Owner - 2014-09-02 7:27 PM

Why on earth would any of us want to use the dreadful young people's 'social media'/dangerous 'Gossip Shop' that is 'Facebook' when we can use this 'Friendly Forum' with its cornucopia of helpful experts (?)!

Cheers,

A puzzled

Colin.

P.S. Perhaps some of you women will suggest using 'twitterese' or 'textspeak' next!

"What is the world coming to?" I ask myself!

C.

And I bet they don't have any decent gassing threads on Facebook, where people can be warned that they're risking their lives going to France.

Really don't see how it can work on Facebook as it is a continual stream of postings no way of sectioning or creating folders realistly can only go back over a few days' entries & no search.

Blimey looks like I'm agreeing with Frank again, must be a bad hair day. (lol)

Had Enough - 2014-09-02 10:03 PM

And I bet they don't have any decent gassing threads on Facebook...,

In fact there is a longish ‘discussion’ (10 July) about gassing here

https://www.facebook.com/MotorhomeChannel

I’ve needed to use Facebook recently to resolve a conflict between my Apple Mac’s operating system and modifications made to a county council’s website. I can’t say I enjoyed the experience much, but it did allow the conflict to be resolved rapidly.

MMM and Practical Motorhome both have Facebook pages

https://www.facebook.com/MotorcaravanMotorhomeMonthlyMagazine

https://www.facebook.com/practicalmotorhome

but - as has already been said - Facebook does not offer the type of communication-structure available on internet forums.

A basic problem with this forum is that its participants are essentially immortal. Danial Attwood (MMM’s Managing Editor) has said in the past that, when it comes to forum moderation, he prefers a light-touch approach. However, even when someone who persistently fails to comply with the forum’s acceptable-use policy is ‘banned’, there is nothing to stop him (it’s invariably a male) from immediately rejoining under another user-name. As the forum is free-to-join/use, there is no financial incentive to encourage forum members to act responsibly as being banned costs the ‘bannee’ nothing. If you get banned, just re-register under another user-name and continue to be as disruptive and exasperating as before. The forum’s software seems to have no means of identifying banned users who have resurrected themselves, so all that happens if you get banned and choose to continue to participate is that, when you resurface, you appear to be a 'new user'.

I can’t see any hope of things changing, which means that participants like qwyn, who have become fed up with the way this forum operates, will either need to grit their teeth or look elsewhere. A free alternative to Facebook is the Practical Motorhome (PM) forum

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/forum

The PM forum clearly has a smaller number of active participants than the Out&AboutLive motorhome forums and seems to have even less functionality. But it does have Tony Jones as a Moderator, so there may be more control over the mud slinging and nasty comments gwyn (and I’m sure others) are unhappy about.

Archived