Water pump keeps cutting in

peter lambert

Currently away in France and our Shurflo water pump keeps cutting in for a couple of seconds every 5 minutes or so even when there are no taps open. Have checked all the pipework I can get to and looked for the obvious leaks, but found none. Have also reduced the pressure cut-off screw slightly, but to no avail.

Has anyone got any thoughts as to what might be causing this issue?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi..

It'd be worth checking the boiler dump valve(..ours would occasion fail to "seat" properly, causing the pump to "re-pressurize" the system).

Water could also be leaking back through the pump?..maybe..?

Although, we always switched our pump off when it wasn't needed, so maybe doing that would ease the situation for now...

Possibly the non return valve(s) either in the pump or inline leaking slightly in which case taking them out and cleaning then might solve it.

Possibly the filter bowl, if it has one, not sealing properly and allowing air in. DO NOT over tighten as if it is a plastic dome type it could shatter.

Possibly the pump diaphragm having a very small pinprick hole possible too small to be seen by the naked eye or maybe just not seated properly in which case taking it apart and cleaning re-seating might make it better or worse?

Possibly a very small water leak in a hose or coupling somewhere out of sight

I would be inclined to turn the pump off when not in use and overnight and live with it until you get back home where these things are invariably easier to resolve rather than risk making it worse whilst far from home?

Thanks folks. Think Pepe might have hit it first time. Looks like our boiler dump valve is dripping VERY slightly, once every 15 seconds or so!!!!. Only just noticed the slightly damp patch in the earth under the pipe.

Will wait until we get home and then change the valve at my leisure. Until then, I will turn the pump off at night.

Once again, thanks for the input. Just love this forum for all you can glean from it. Always spreading the word about it.

Archived