Which suspension assistance system?

Guest Had Enough

Guest Had Enough

It looks as though it's going to be a Hymer-T 588 coach built. After much research and thought I really can't see the point of the A Class version, which is identical from the end of the cab to the rear. I've still to view them in Cologne but my mind is more or less made up.

My big problem is payload. Despite the so-called lightness of the new Exsis range I will not find it hard to break the 3500 kg limit. An awning, spare battery, my wife, a full water tank, satellite dish, solar panel and then the towbar, heavy bike rack and two ebikes already have me at about 3400 without food, drink, recliners, table, extra gas cylinder, the list goes on.

I'd have no problem keeping within the alternative 3850 kg limit, but the rear axle loading is the same at 2000 kg. The last time I visited a weighbridge I was 1940k g at the rear with two lighter bikes on the back.

Since then I've added a towbar, a superb heavy-duty bike carrier and two heavier bikes. I'm having it weighed on Friday and fully expect that I'll be over the limit.

If that's the case I'm going to go for the AL-KO Maxi chassis at 4250 kg. That will solve any payload problem and the rear axle loading is 2400 kg.

So, it that's the route I take my next problem is the heavy weight at the back end. I currently have air assist on my Hobby, which is fine, but I do worry about how long the rubber will last and how it is long term.

On the Hymer I can order it with the AL-KO Level Controller system, which looks ideal. Forgetting the cost of it compared to air assist, does anyone have experience or views on the efficacy of either system, or even a better one?

So, I may not have an A Class like Kirby, but mine will be longer than his, so that's something. But I shall still have to look up to him, but I can look down on Uzzell, who's only going to have a Rapido coach built, so all is not lost.

And as for Judge, he's definitely from the wrong side of the tracks! We can all look down on him. (lol)

Ps After careful perusal of the price list I infer that there is no radio and that it's a £250 extra. Can this be right or is the £250 for a better version.

Guest JudgeMental

Pitiful :-D When your trundling along in your overweight shed on wheels, made of blancmange, that can be broken into with bare hand. Has crap handling (more akin to sailing then driving) +struggling to park it anywhere! The novelty will soon wear off. Then moi whizzes by in my sleek panel van + I get the last plot on aire/site your heading for.........He who has the last laugh lasts longest springs to mind :D

Seriously.......Never have understood the big is better mentality...quite the opposite in fact.

Good luck with the suspension, live with the thing first, adjust tyre pressure after loading/weighing, and see how you get on from there......

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-09-03 6:40 PM

Seriously.......Never have understood the big is better mentality...quite the opposite in fact.

Good luck with the suspension, live with the thing first, adjust tyre pressure after loading/weighing, and see how you get on from there......

I've never understood the bigger is better thing either. Which is why, like my Hobby, I'm going for one of the narrowest CBs on the market and at a fraction under 7 metres it can still go anywhere a car can go.

I've gone for the smallest I can find that gives us the space I want. I say 'want' and not 'need'. They are two very different things. Now if I'd gone for a nine metre monster with a little car behind you could scoff, but please?

The problem I'm going to have won't be solved by adjusting the tyre pressures I'm afraid. My problem is likely to be one of the back end drooping and catching on steep ferry ramps etc. and the front wheels scrabbling to grip on wet hills.

When you scoot past us by the way, if we manage to spot your tiny 'van among all the traffic we'll still wave, although secretly we'll be looking down on you! (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

All about perception I guess. When we had a CB I was certainly envious of the German panel vans flying by.....

An extra length saggy bottom about the worse layout I can imagine. Touring Tuscany/Croatia a few years ago in the 6 metre Adria was our best touring experience in a camper yet, no parking hassle in any tourist destination we visited, if a car can get in so could we. Holiday was so enjoyable compered to previous year in northern Spain. Have blown this now with longer van and large rack when in use.....

Shorter A would be my choice, must be easier to live with...

Had Enough - 2014-09-03 6:00 PM

On the Hymer I can order it with the AL-KO Level Controller system, which looks ideal. Forgetting the cost of it compared to air assist, does anyone have experience or views on the efficacy of either system, or even a better one?

I thought that was an air system with electronic control in theory should work better.

So, I may not have an A Class like Kirby, but mine will be longer than his, so that's something. But I shall still have to look up to him, but I can look down on Uzzell, who's only going to have a Rapido coach built, so all is not lost.

I can look down on you all as mines bigger. :D :D :D

Ps After careful perusal of the price list I infer that there is no radio and that it's a £250 extra. Can this be right or is the £250 for a better version.

Unless it's a special edition you don't get radios in German vans, but does have the advantage you can fit what you want. I fitted a Clarion double DIN unit with 6" screen Satnav & DAB and I fed my reversing cameras into it. I wouldn't pay the £250 for the option as all you will get a £100 JVC.

As you can afford the A Class I really think you should reconsider if possible get a drive in both. When we brought our last van the X250 was new and with the wider cab & deep windscreen didn't feel the need for an A Class.

Now we have the A Class how wrong we were, although the space you gain may not be that much the illusion of space is amazing just gives a so much better environment, probably more of an advantage with the narrower Exsis body not having the side bits at the rear of the cab intruding on living space.

The most noticeable thing about the A Class was noise level, it is unbelievably quite to drive so much more relaxing.

As we run on or over the limit with full tanks you will definitely need the 4250kg chassis.

...but I can look down on Uzzell, who's only going to have a Rapido coach built, so all is not lost...

Tough luck Wilko, I changed my mind, threw caution and common-sense to the winds and recently ordered a 2015 LHD Carthago C-Compactline I 138 (example on following link) for delivery next Spring.

http://www.southdownsmotorhomecentre.co.uk/new-2014-carthago-c-compactline-i-138-fiat-150-automatic-motorhome-n2994.html

I fully expect it will exceed the 3500kg limit when loaded, but I don’t care because everbody knows Carthago owners are beyond the law. As they drive majestically along highways (they would never demean themselves by resorting to byways) Carthago owners may decide to acknowledge Hymer A-class motorhomes with a suitably-regal hand-gesture, but as for Hymer ‘coachbuilt’ models, that would be like our beloved Queen choosing to wave to builders' trucks.

Guest Had Enough
Derek Uzzell - 2014-09-04 8:50 AM

...but I can look down on Uzzell, who's only going to have a Rapido coach built, so all is not lost...

Tough luck Wilko, I changed my mind, threw caution and common-sense to the winds and recently ordered a 2015 LHD Carthago C-Compactline I 138 (example on following link) for delivery next Spring.

http://www.southdownsmotorhomecentre.co.uk/new-2014-carthago-c-compactline-i-138-fiat-150-automatic-motorhome-n2994.html

I fully expect it will exceed the 3500kg limit when loaded, but I don’t care because everbody knows Carthago owners are beyond the law. As they drive majestically along highways (they would never demean themselves by resorting to byways) Carthago owners may decide to acknowledge Hymer A-class motorhomes with a suitably-regal hand-gesture, but as for Hymer ‘coachbuilt’ models, that would be like our beloved Queen choosing to wave to builders' trucks.

Bugger!

Guest Had Enough
lennyhb - 2014-09-03 9:42 PM

I thought that was an air system with electronic control in theory should work better.

No, it's a system that uses special shock absorbers I think and needs no maintenance.

http://www.towtal.co.uk/al-ko-genuine-suspension-upgrade/803

It looks very good although for the price I could get a top notch air-assistance package with compressor and gauges in the cab.

It has occurred to me since that the Maxi chassis, with its 2400 kg rear axle limit, may not need any assistance, although I will have a lot of weight on a towbar.

I thought that Uzzell may know all about this but clearly, he's no longer speaking to the motorhoming lower-middle class.

Guest JudgeMental
Had Enough - 2014-09-04 8:54 AM

Bugger!

Its not to late......Cathargo would be my shopping list as well if this was the sort of thing I wanted. hymer decidedly second class in comparison. you have til the 7th to get to Dusseldorf show (£35 easyjet flight)

Had Enough - 2014-09-04 9:01 AM

...I thought that Uzzell may know all about this but clearly, he's no longer speaking to the motorhoming lower-middle class.

I’ve no practical experience of the ALC system but there’s a reasonable amount of information about it here

http://www.sawiko.de/downloads/Katalog_2014/Katalog_2014_AL-KO_Fahrwerkssysteme.pdf

plus stuff on other AL-KO suspension-related products that may be useful.

(No need to feel humiliated - I have been known to lie when it’s warranted.)

JudgeMental - 2014-09-04 9:15 AM

Had Enough - 2014-09-04 8:54 AM

Bugger!

Its not to late......Cathargo would be my shopping list as well if this was the sort of thing I wanted. hymer decidedly second class in comparison. you have til the 7th to get to Dusseldorf show (£35 easyjet flight)

My mate who has only had his Carthago C-Tourer a few months said to me yesterday if Hymer did the layout I want I would go back to a Hymer, Another ex Hymer man I know you took delivery of a Carthago a few months ago has been muttering about quality. Could this be why they are closing the plant in Solvina where C-Tourer & Compactline are made?

Had Enough - 2014-09-04 9:01 AM

lennyhb - 2014-09-03 9:42 PM

Found it now there is Level Control & Level Control Air Plus.

No, it's a system that uses special shock absorbers I think and needs no maintenance.

http://www.towtal.co.uk/al-ko-genuine-suspension-upgrade/803

It looks very good although for the price I could get a top notch air-assistance package with compressor and gauges in the cab.

It has occurred to me since that the Maxi chassis, with its 2400 kg rear axle limit, may not need any assistance, although I will have a lot of weight on a towbar.

I thought that Uzzell may know all about this but clearly, he's no longer speaking to the motorhoming lower-middle class.

Archived