Garden Festival Chaumont sur Loire

Tracker

My dear lady would like to visit this garden festival next week, sort of on the way to Brittany, and I wonder if any amongst us have been there this year and what were your overall views?

I can't see any provision for overnighting at the Chateau or festival car parks and there does not seem to be any contact details on their web site so in the absence of a definitive yes it is no problem to find a local Aire close by as their are plenty around Tours and Blois - unless anyone knows differently?

Any info muchly appreciated please.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-09-04 2:32 PM

My dear lady would like to visit this garden festival next week, sort of on the way to Brittany, and I wonder if any amongst us have been there this year and what were your overall views?

I can't see any provision for overnighting at the Chateau or festival car parks and there does not seem to be any contact details on their web site so in the absence of a definitive yes it is no problem to find a local Aire close by as their are plenty around Tours and Blois - unless anyone knows differently?

Any info muchly appreciated please.

Sort of on the way to Brittany? :-S..............You need a new map Rich :D...............might have a look at the festival ourselves now that we're in the area :->.................

We went there last year and used the dedicated MH car park - which was large, level but no aire-type facilities. Just gravel as I recall. Neither the OH half nor I can remember if there was any objection to an overnight stay but we were moving on afterwards anyway so didn't pay much heed. I would imagine you could stay there undistrubed unless it was specifically banned.

We have stayed o/n on the riverbank at Chaumont in years past but I think they banned that from last year - but there is a camp site the other side of the bridge which we've used and was pleasant enough. Not particularly expensive as I recall. I think you could also pay for a 3 hour admission, to use the water and dump.

pelmetman - 2014-09-04 3:03 PM

Sort of on the way to Brittany? :-S..............You need a new map Rich :D...............might have a look at the festival ourselves now that we're in the area :->.................

Do please let us know Dave.

Map? Who needs a map when we have a very efficient sit nags!!

Everywhere is on the way to anywhere when you have a modern comfortable Motorhome - as you know!

We expect to be there next weekend and if anyone else is in the area at that time we would be happy to meet up.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-09-04 5:38 PM

2014 tarifs for the municipal campsite at Chaumont are shown here

http://www.camping-chaumont-sur-loire.com/Tarifs.php

Thanks Derek.

Prices seem sensible, however I doubt we will use the site as my experience of faffing about booking in with passports and proof of id etc on French camp sites is that it really is not worth the bother when we would only be there from early evening to the morning.

Not quite such a faff if one has a tent or caravan or is staying several days I guess but for overnight, not for us when so many alternatives that are faff free exist.

Nevertheless I appreciate you taking the trouble. Thanks.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-09-04 5:21 PM

pelmetman - 2014-09-04 3:03 PM

Do please let us know Dave.

Suggested it to Sue, but as she pointed out we have the dogs and it's very warm down here so can't leave them in the van, and don't know if they'll let them in, not that it'll make a lot of difference as Troy can't walk far since he had a stroke in Scotland..........and my inheritance won't walk at all *-)..............we're considering one of those doggy pushchair for it.............but I ain't pushing it :$ .............

Tracker - 2014-09-04 5:18 PM

Rod_vw - 2014-09-04 2:52 PM

I don't see any more info on over-nighting at the festival but there are contact details here http://www.domaine-chaumont.fr/en_contact?cat=180

Rod

Thanks Rod - that link did not come up when I look at the website

Just had a reply back from the website and daytime parking of camping cars is OK but NO overnighting allowed on the property.

So now we know, but with so many Aires and sites around it is never going to be a problem, but for those who prefer a camp site do bear in mind that most if not all will close for the winter at the end of September.

JudgeMental - 2014-09-04 5:05 PM

Mrs Mental would enjoy this I would think.......is it worthwhile?

It's a set of 30 or so "designer gardens" which you can walk around and through. Went above my head but the OH certainly enjoyed them. New set every year of course. There is a cafe and toilets but that's it, otherwise the Chateaux and its normal lawned gardens are available to be looked at too, which are nice enough.

Tracker - 2014-09-04 6:27 PM

Prices seem sensible, however I doubt we will use the site as my experience of faffing about booking in with passports and proof of id etc on French camp sites is that it really is not worth the bother when we would only be there from early evening to the morning....

I have a CCI card that I present at French campsites whether I’m asked for ID or not. The fact that the card carries an expiry date on 25 May 2003 (and the passport details are out-dated) has never been challenged - all French wardens seem interested in is being easily able to record a name and address.

Besides the campsite on the same side of the river as Chateau Chaumont, there’s another on the opposite side with a motorhome service-point. The closing date is said to be 18 September.

http://www.bloischambord.co.uk/organize/accommodations/campsites/244992-camping-municipal-donzain

The campingcar-infos website lists 3 non-campsite aires to the east of Chaumont and not far away.

MONTHOU SUR BIEVRE

OUCHAMPS

LES MONTILS

The one at Monthou-s/Bievre may be the best bet (on the car-park of a company selling goat-cheese), and it’s worth noting that the aire at Les Montils is a "Camping-Car Park” installation and, consequently, pretty much as expensive as the municipal campsites.

As has been said the MH/coach parking (which also gets used by cars) is daytime only. The Chaumont municipal site by the river is only a short walk to the lower gate into the gardens - but then a fair walk up through the gardens to the actual festival gardens.

We went in July - a return visit after about 10 years. It was OK, but not as stunning as the one we went to then, which focused on vegetables. Very pleasant place to be, though. We'd stopped on an ACSI site about 5m away, Camping Val du Loire - not sure when it closes. A full facility site, just opening things up for high season when we went.

Guest pelmetman

Alternatively 30 mins South of Blois there is a free aire at Ange where we are now with free leccy and wifi ;-).............Decided to stay another night, just had a 3 course meal in a bistro across the road €34 including 2 pitchers of wine a small beer and coffees..........and the best rare steak I've had in months B-).............

So for the price of 2 nights on a CC site without facilities, we've had comparable but with a 3 course meal thrown in for free.................Whats not to like B-)................

rupert123 - 2014-09-05 5:18 PM

Blimey you lot led exciting lives. Drive to France and worry about visiting a garden centre or like the Pelmet have such a good time you spend most of it on here.

Aw gee Henry you do say the nicest things - have you perchance been taking lessons in how to communication skills?

Rich, we were at the festival 2 days ago. The gardens are well worth seeing, but I thought the explanations were a bit pretentious. We spent about 6 hours there, it was most enjoyable, and I don't particularly like gardens.

We stayed at the municipal site in Chaumont, nice views, good facilities, a bit noisy from road and a rail line but didn't disturb my sleep. 9 Euros 40, plus 2 Euros if you want leccy.

Would go back.

Now at Acsi site Saumur, OK but not our cup of tea - too much like a holiday camp.

Regards,

Thanks Chris - much appreciated feedback.

I too am not much into poncy gardens but Dot likes 'em and I try to keep an open mind so a happy wife is a happy husband - usually!

Anyway as it's on the way from Cherbourg to Brittany - more or less - we will visit next weekend, then meander down the Loire and back up to Brittany more or less along the coast!

We never use hook up - don't even carry a lead - so we see no advantage for us in using a site - especially if it is noisy!

pelmetman - 2014-09-05 2:00 PM

Alternatively 30 mins South of Blois there is a free aire at Ange where we are now with free leccy and wifi ;-).............Decided to stay another night, just had a 3 course meal in a bistro across the road €34 including 2 pitchers of wine a small beer and coffees..........and the best rare steak I've had in months B-).............

So for the price of 2 nights on a CC site without facilities, we've had comparable but with a 3 course meal thrown in for free.................Whats not to like B-)................

The aire at Angé is about 17km west of Chaumont. Parking is free, as is mains electricity, but freshwater replenishment is not (3€ for 100 litres via jeton).

I recall staying there a good few years ago (possibly in 2007 based on comments on the campingcar-infos website) when work adding mains-electricity outlets was in progress. Because parking was free and Angé is conveniently located for touristy towns like Tours and Blois, the aire was very popular. By mid-evening it was essentially full but that didn’t stop the camping-cars coming. By morning it was like a Brownhills stand at the NEC with motorhomes jammed in like sardines. When I visited, the state of the parking area was appalling, but that’s clearly been addressed. Apparently it’s also now possible to ‘overspill’ on to an adjacent grassed area if the main parking area becomes crowded.

Some details and photos here

http://www.i-campingcar.fr/aires.php?ville=ange

http://www.campercontact.com/fr/campersite/detail/id/3452

Tracker - 2014-09-05 5:26 PM

rupert123 - 2014-09-05 5:18 PM

Blimey you lot led exciting lives. Drive to France and worry about visiting a garden centre or like the Pelmet have such a good time you spend most of it on here.

Aw gee Henry you do say the nicest things - have you perchance been taking lessons in how to communication skills?

I know Rich it is a naturel skill. Hope you enjoy your garden centre though and find a convenient layby to park in or you could try a campsite, they are not as complicated to book into as you seem to think. Most French campsites do not insist on electric so you can save a couple of euro's here. My wife likes garden type places to unfortunately so we do visit a few but have only ever diverted to one, the island garden at Mainau on Lake Constance whose saving grace, for me, was a great German sausage and chips with a pint of German beer.

Spot on Dave, this is a great aire and bistro. Try also the wine from the local grower at end of village really nice and not too expensive. Have been a few times to aire, last time in summer a couple of years ago, and never found it as busy as Derrick describes, maybe because extra space now available. Hope to be back in a few weeks time on our way south to wine festival at Banylus sur mer.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2014-09-06 8:37 AM

The aire at Angé is about 17km west of Chaumont. Parking is free, as is mains electricity, but freshwater replenishment is not (3€ for 100 litres via jeton).

I recall staying there a good few years ago (possibly in 2007 based on comments on the campingcar-infos website) when work adding mains-electricity outlets was in progress. Because parking was free and Angé is conveniently located for touristy towns like Tours and Blois, the aire was very popular. By mid-evening it was essentially full but that didn’t stop the camping-cars coming. By morning it was like a Brownhills stand at the NEC with motorhomes jammed in like sardines. When I visited, the state of the parking area was appalling, but that’s clearly been addressed. Apparently it’s also now possible to ‘overspill’ on to an adjacent grassed area if the main parking area becomes crowded.

Some details and photos here

http://www.i-campingcar.fr/aires.php?ville=ange

http://www.campercontact.com/fr/campersite/detail/id/3452

They do now park on the grass Derek ;-)................although being frogs they still seem to feel the need to park close to you, probably so they can hop between campers :D..............Left this morning now on camping Peyrelevade at Brantome, as we now need a wash ;-)................

A great free aire and excellent bistro B-)...........nearly forgot there's a bag et shop as well ;-).....

Archived