October half term

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental
Is last week in October this year. Is there anywhere feasible for 8 days in France where weather has a chance of being reasonable. Could manage the Loire I think....

Guest JudgeMental
Patricia - 2014-09-04 7:05 PM

Thought you didn't like France Eddie! My advice would be to stay low and try to get a bit south of the Loire. If there are sites open in the area you choose, you have a chance of reasonable weather I would think.

I have a euro tunnel return to use up and if i dont go to Spain need to do something. Not over keen on France but some of its nice..its the food and prices I don't like! :-D

Thanks Bill..Scotland does not appeal that much to be honest

As a Scot I don't think I could guarantee the weather in October. There are no midges in the autumn because its too cold for them!

I would reckon that the nearer to the Med you can get the better. Its the usual story at that time of year - the farther south you are prepared to go the better the weather will be. Provence perhaps?

Mad Mitch

Guest JudgeMental
Provence a bit of a trek for a week. may well go to Spain still, but house on market and lots going on. so a quick week might be all we can manage...come on guys thinking caps...who has been to france this time of year. Have been at Easter a good few times with mixed results but on average not been bad, nice to get away...very quiet though.

Eddie, you must know weather in northern France late October can be variable. We have been a few times and are leaving next week, although not for France but will probably return through northern France. As has been said the further south the better but I would 'hedge my bets' a bit and go somewhere away from the coast, the bad weather comes from the Atlantic side. We drove from Annecy to Calais in June and it took eight hours, this may be an option. It has always been nice in the Tarn region for us in October and if the weather is ok Alsace and Black Forest only a day from Calais if you push it. I would certainly not go near Brittany or anywhere on the Atlantic coast. One place we have always been lucky with the weather is the Dordogne and at least if the weather is not so good plenty to see and do here. We to have been delayed getting away this year with our recent house move but all clear at last so off Tuesday if Calais has not closed by then.

Guest JudgeMental
change of direction maybe a good idea.. visited Alsace this summer and weather was very poor. had a great time there last year though......

OK, my secret autumn destination is Limousin, just north of the Dordogne.

St Germain-les-Belles, camping Montreal by the lake. It's off the toll free A20 and I've been going for 40 years, autumn is mild as it's southern, central and sheltered so hangs on to the warmth. You can pick walnuts and walk into town. The Dutch couple that own it supply bread and wine, and cook a communal feast each evening, outside if warm, in a large marquee if not. It's an ACSI site at 45.36.42, 1.30.5.

You can drive it in a full day, but I tend to make it a stopover going down or coming back.

Don't tell anyone though.

Eddie, we have stayed around Bordeaux for last couple of years in November and have had some nice sunny days, warm enough to have lunch on outside cafe tables and also some heavy rain. A favourite spot of ours is the aire at Mortange sur Gironde, which is right on side of marina, so nice setting, with electric and WiFi for just under 8€/night, so more like campsite really. Great place if you just want to chill for a week. A couple of nice restaurants on marina but little else and village is a good walk up a steep hill, although there are nice walks around the estuary. To be honest for a week would not bother driving even so far in hope of sunny weather and instead stay north and enjoy again your favourite Bruges, maybe with Dunkerque, catch bus from Gravelines and perhaps Boulogne visited from the aire at Le Portel, as with these destinations weather does not matter. What ever you decide enjoy.

Guest JudgeMental
sean.clarke - 2014-09-05 11:00 PM

How much travelling are you happy to do Judge (in miles or time) - guessing your PVC can get in a good stride and cover miles quickly....

Before I retired I worked nights. Getting an early evening Eurotunnel, driving till around 4 in the morning, grabbing a few hours sleep, meant I could be in the Loire or the like by midday. This served us well for many years, have done similar and further trips, it also means roads relatively quiet even in summer rush south.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone..food for thought :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Amsterdam...its only 4 hrs drive tops from Calais, has anyone camped there...might be nice for a 5 day city break. any campsites within cycling distance/public transport of attractions? plus has any one been out of season.....

I teach so we are confined to school holidays too. Several times, in February, we have spent half-term in Camping Delftse Hout in Delft. It is open all year and has good heated facilities with a 15 minute walk into town. Even less on a bike.

Delft is a decent sized town with plenty of restaurants etc and great transport links to the rest of Holland. We have taken the tram to The Hague and the coast and the train to Amsterdam and Leiden. Just another idea!

Susan

JudgeMental - 2014-09-10 12:45 PM

T8LEY - 2014-09-10 12:16 AM

Used this site in April. Excellent for the city. http://www.gaaspercamping.nl/en/camping.html

Thanks..That looks a better bet, the port aire probably a bit bleak :-D

Did you enjoy Amsterdam, is there much to see, how many days would you think as I will book now.....

Unfortunately our visit was not really for a holiday, we were attending a funeral, but we took the opportunity to spend the day before in Amsterdam. I'd recommend a canal cruise, takes about 1.5hrs. Pick up the barges from opposite Central Rail Station. There are also walking tours (read Japanese tourist tours) and, red light tours if you fancy one. If you have the time there's a big range of museums, from a bag & purse museum to a sexmuseum. Plenty of places to eat and snack at canal side 'brown' cafés. China town near the Nieuwmarket is good for a main meal.

I would say Amsterdam would be ideal for a week. We bought a boat back from there in October some years ago.Weather was Ok but can get cold, Plenty to see and do, lots of cycling. I think it would be ideal for you to use your bikes. France in October a bit dead, most sites close end of September, as we found out last year.!

Also Ypres a nice place, as has been said Was expensive to eat out though, we found

we are currently in Spain, and it is so hot, that it is almost unbearable, We are really making use of the air con more than ever before, did not expect it to still be so hot, as usually we are here in April/may. Lot more French here now than we have seen before, I think it is cheaper here than in France for food, both in super markets and eating out, sadly will have to come back through France

Hope you enjoy where ever you go any way

PJay

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks guys, Amsterdam it is! :-D

Belgium supposed to be a really good place to buy road/race bikes. can anyone recommend a shop. Mrs Mental wants a new bike for her b day, so would like to pick one up on way through

Archived