Mercedes to launch campervan in UK

John J Thompson

I have just received an email on this matter from MMM.

This unit has no kitchen or toilet facilities. It is a people carrier with an elevating roof. It is said to be able to sleep 5 people. 3 on the folded down seating and 2 in roof bunks.

Calling this a campervan is rubbish and will result in more bans on vehicles equipped for sleeping which is the current way local authorities are describing campervans and motorhomes in recent correspondence.

How MMM can call this a campervan beats me.

There is a set definition of a motorhome/campervan in EU/UK legislation. This does not meet that specification.

We've got a largish hatchback that has fold down rear seats. About 5 years ago we had to sleep in it overnight when our campsite in the Trossachs got flooded out (in August :-( )

So all this time worrying about getting a campervan, and I already have one ;-)

Muswell - 2014-09-05 5:09 PM

I should think the biggest cause of local auhorities clamping down on parking is the proliferation of big white CBs, not vehicles which look like people carriers.

On the contrary. Cornwall county council ban any vehicle that could be used for sleeping from parking overnight. York City ban any vehicle that could be used for sleeping day or night from their car parks. These vehicles have to use the out of town park and ride sites only during the day. Ceredigion County Council are planning to ban overnight parking on parts of the Prom at Aberystwyth.

Quote: “The parking of vehicles overnight, that are either designed or adapted for sleeping / cooking in, on the public highway" End quote. No mention of big white vans.

The problem is these other vehicles are not equipped as campervans and it was this type of vehicle parking at North Berwick and the users relieving themselves in the dunes that brought about a bylaw preventing overnight parking again of vehicles equipped for sleeping. This was refused by the Scottish Government although a TRO may still result.

I would have thought that, rather than perpetuating the myth that the proposed Mercedes vehicle is a "CAMPERVAN" MMM would have pointed out that it was no such thing. Further it should be pointing out just what is a campervan.

There is no requirement for waste or fresh water tanks in the present definition. This is a serious lack in my opinion.

Ashpark - 2014-09-05 8:16 PM

We've got a largish hatchback that has fold down rear seats. About 5 years ago we had to sleep in it overnight when our campsite in the Trossachs got flooded out (in August :-( )

So all this time worrying about getting a campervan, and I already have one ;-)

I used to use a Ford Consul "Farnham" Estate for sleeping in when potholing in the 1960s I later used a few Volvo 245 Estate cars with a Caranex Awning during the 1980s. I then went on to use a Vauxhall Astra Estate but this had less space in the back than the other vehicles. These were fine for an overnight where toilets were available, but I would never have considered them as a campervan. From the mid 1970s I had a Caravan but stll used the Estate cars from time to time. I later mover onto a Bedord CF Autosleeper all this gave me was a fridge and a sink/cooker so I still needed an external toilet be it in a tent or amenity building.

I now enjoy full time living in a Hymer S700

Archived