Axle weights !

Spadge

Had Enough - 2014-09-06 7:17 PM

I did mean to say (above) that my rear is 2000 and my front 1500, not the other way round! I visited a weighbridge yesterday and with my new towbar, bike carrier and two heavy ebikes, |'m exceeding my rear axle limit by over 100 kg, hence my decision to get a new 'van with higher limits.

I dread to think how many motorhomes are on the road in the UK (and everywhere else in Europe) that are grossly overloaded.

....I think you'll find that, though the MAM is 3500kg, the front and rear axle limits are 1750kg/2250kg respectively.

It's fairly difficult to overload the rear axle on the version of the Transit your 'van is based on, but if you're getting anywhere near (and staying within the 3500kg overall limit), then with the effect of the rear overhang the front axle will be running rather (very) light!

Guest Had Enough
Robinhood - 2014-09-20 9:37 PM

Had Enough - 2014-09-06 7:17 PM

I did mean to say (above) that my rear is 2000 and my front 1500, not the other way round! I visited a weighbridge yesterday and with my new towbar, bike carrier and two heavy ebikes, |'m exceeding my rear axle limit by over 100 kg, hence my decision to get a new 'van with higher limits.

I dread to think how many motorhomes are on the road in the UK (and everywhere else in Europe) that are grossly overloaded.

....I think you'll find that, though the MAM is 3500kg, the front and rear axle limits are 1750kg/2250kg respectively.

It's fairly difficult to overload the rear axle on the version of the Transit your 'van is based on, but if you're getting anywhere near (and staying within the 3500kg overall limit), then with the effect of the rear overhang the front axle will be running rather (very) light!

Thanks for that. I thought that my rear axle weight was 2000 maximum. Having exceeded that I am finding that the front wheels are scrabbling a little on steep wet hills when starting off.

Anyway, it's all going to be history soon. I've decided to go for a Hymer A Class with a very good payload. I'm waiting for a six-month-old Hymer B Class Starline to come in and if we like it we'll have it. http://edgehillmotorhomes.co.uk/motorhome/51/

If that doesn't work out I've just been to Cologne on business and visited Beck's, one of Germany's largest Hymer dealers to see what will be our next choice, and it's a Hymer B Class 594 with the Alko Maxi chassis, which I'll buy from Beck's. They do superb packages including awning, sat dish, TV, solar panel, etc. etc. which will save me a lot of messing about getting them all done separately.

I mentioned to my Hobby dealer that I'm selling my Van Exclusive L and he's keen to buy it and I'm delivering it to him on Tuesday. Thanks to you the fridge door now works perfectly!

I know I can get a bit more selling it on eBay but I can't be bothered.

Archived