What is the most useless thing you've bought?

Billggski

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok To expand this when I ordered my new Camper I put a lot of thought to what was essential and what was not.

So in went Solar Panel 85w. Huge 200ap second battery. 12 Volt sockets and USB Ports. Driving compartment insulated curtain. WiFi direction antenna. 12 Volt Fridge and Diesel water and space heating. Spare wheel.

Out went. The Bike rack. Roll out Sun awning. Insulated windscreen and side window. Satellite dish. Microwave. Gas water and space heating.

P

Guest Had Enough
antony1969 - 2014-09-10 10:30 AM

A Bosch ebike ... Utter rubbish!

What is it about the Chatterbollox regulars that makes them unable to resist coming here to stir up old enmities and cause trouble?

It's time to move on. *-)

Silver screens - bulky, difficult to store, a pain in the van when wet, interesting to fit when wet and windy, dubious benefit especially when you have cab blinds and decent curtains, easier to use a microfibre cloth to dry the windows than it is to remove and store them, no real effect on night time interior temperature.

Silver screens are like the emperor's new clothes - everybody wants to see them and very few want to be accused of heresy by speaking against them!

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2014-09-10 10:49 AM

Silver screens - bulky, difficult to store, a pain in the van when wet, interesting to fit when wet and windy, dubious benefit especially when you have cab blinds and decent curtains, easier to use a microfibre cloth to dry the windows than it is to remove and store them, no real effect on night time interior temperature.

Silver screens are like the emperor's new clothes - everybody wants to see them and very few want to be accused of heresy by speaking against them!

I have Remis blinds and never use them. I have often considered unscrewing them as they develop rattles but I worry about putting them back successfully, so leave them on and put up with it.

The minute we arrive on an aire or site I put the silver screens on. They're in three parts and it really does take as many minutes, even in wind. I can fold down the front during the day to let in light.

The definitely keep us warmer in winter and cooler in summer and the time taken mopping condensation-soaked windows is more than the time taken to take them off and put them away.

However, I have a 'van with a large garage and we just throw them in on top of other things. The only time we put them back in their bag is when we arrive home and they're dry.

However, for someone whose 'van doesn't have the convenience of a garage I can understand that it's not quite as convenient, but no matter how anyone dresses it up the insulation properties of silver screens simply cannot be denied, which is why I see many, many motorhomers using them as we do.

You're continually telling us that there are no right or wrong ways, just different ways, so I'm puzzled as to why you are now claiming that that those of us who use silver screens are wrong and it's just, as you put it, the emperor's new clothes.

They may well be wrong for you but for many of us they're absolutely right.

Had Enough - 2014-09-10 11:40 AM

Heaven forbid that I should ever tell you that you are wrong Frank - wouldn't dream of it - we are all different and we all do things our own way!

They may be right for you but for us they remain one of the most useless things we ever bought - which is the topic under discussion!

Each to their own.

PS - Remis blinds are easy enough to remove and refit and instructions can be found online and if ever you have the misfortune to need a new windscreen they will possibly need to come off to fit it so it might be worth knowing how?

We have a 4.5 metre Omnistore awning on the MH and an extension sheet to extend the shaded area so even when the sun is coming from the side, shade is available.

My OH's latest dream purchase is a small garden/beach parasol which has pseudo thatching on it in the form of hundreds of plastic strands. At full height it is shorter than me and under 2 m in diameter, so you have to sit directly under it or crouch under it to get any shade. She's very pleased with it.

starvin marvin - 2014-09-09 9:42 PMWind out awnings, I've bought (ie got) one with each van and never use them! Waste of time and payload.

LOL; wouldn't be without our wind out awning, we use it even on aires (I know, I know) can't cope with sitting in full sun and it shelters us from the rain also helps our dog to stay comfortable.  Also, we bought front and side panel windblockers and to me they're worth their weight (which actually is negligible) in gold.  We don't have to keep moving closer and closer to the van  for shade and we can sit as long as we wish in filtered sunlight so don't burn.  We have never used it as a wind blocker though because if it's windy we don't have the awning out.   As for silver screen, with the modern pleated blinds which are like paper it's almost impossible to keep the van cool.  I have a silver screen and also an interior silver windscreen blind but I use them in the roof lights as well.  These keep the van cool even when travelling.  Horses for courses!

Had Enough - 2014-09-10 10:48 AM

antony1969 - 2014-09-10 10:30 AM

A Bosch ebike ... Utter rubbish!

What is it about the Chatterbollox regulars that makes them unable to resist coming here to stir up old enmities and cause trouble?

It's time to move on. *-)

Frankie it was a joke ... I suppose if necessary I should have put a smilie in ... No offence to Eddie and I mean that ... Or is it a joke ? ... And I don't think Eddie requires your input either which normally ends up in your usual name fest

Tracker - 2014-09-10 5:19 PM

You can always count on Frank to turn a semi humourous topic into an argument!

I saw the Ebike post and it made I larf - funny how different things tickle different people differently innit!!

Only thing that tickles Uncle is £20/£50 notes stroking his palm .... He is renowned for his sense of humour failure poor darling ... Joke Frankie

Tracker - 2014-09-10 12:07 PM

Heaven forbid that I should ever tell you that you are wrong Frank - wouldn't dream of it - we are all different and we all do things our own way!

They may be right for you but for us they remain one of the most useless things we ever bought - which is the topic under discussion!

Each to their own.

PS - Remis blinds are easy enough to remove and refit and instructions can be found online and if ever you have the misfortune to need a new windscreen they will possibly need to come off to fit it so it might be worth knowing how?

I love the instructions that come on our Remis blinds telling you not to drive with them shut! Bit like the notice on our AutoTrali door telling us it is a designated emergency exit!

Colin Leake - 2014-09-10 10:13 PM

Tracker - 2014-09-10 12:07 PM

Each to their own.

I love the instructions that come on our Remis blinds telling you not to drive with them shut! Bit like the notice on our AutoTrali door telling us it is a designated emergency exit!

Hope you've sent this to Frank - wouldn't want him crashing now would we!

Then again as long as he runs on cruise control the van will drive itself and he won't need to see out!

Guest JudgeMental
Cat 1 alarm.....no one takes any notice of them these days, they are just annoying...the thieves certainly don't! The factory immobiliser enough, plus secondary security, window alarms and a safe far better value IMO

JudgeMental - 2014-09-09 4:15 PM

a VANGO tent?

Not in my case it wasn't!

Found an original Force 10 Mk5 (the largest) complete with extension and paid just £40 for the lot! Used it no end of times over six years, then bought a new tent so stuck the Vango up for sale at £130. The phone went nuts and the first guy who came bought it for the advertised price. Never even made an offer!

Used ones are highly sought after as a new one will set you back over £400.....extension is extra.

Colin Leake - 2014-09-10 10:13

yep love that one Colin :-D

plus the small window opposite what you have no chance of getting out of ! 8-) much easier to run through the flames i reckon *-) :-D

jon

Archived