Omnistep doesn't retract

Mackyjane

I have a bessacarr E710 (2005), the electric omnistep used to beep and automatically retract when the engine was started, but has recently stopped doing this. Also the Sargent control panel no longer automatically switches off when the engine is started. Dies anyone know what may have caused this?ncould the two be connected?

Look in the engine bay for the charge relays (2 relays side by side) and a fuse block beside. They may be under a black plastic cover in the middle of the bay. There should be a fuse block with three fuses and you will find one is blown. It may be a four way fuse block with one way not used. Replace blown fuse with one the same size.

Apparently theres a switch/contact thingy (sorry but I'm not a techie) beneath the step which gets caked up with muck and stops working.  This happened to ours.  OH got underneath and found it and cleaned it out and it worked. 

Perhaps its this which could have caused the fuse to blow?

The step retraction relay (and buzzer) should be fed by the same relay and fuse as the fridge (when the engine is running).

AFAIK, the same circuit is also used by the panel to sense the engine running.

It would be useful to know if the fridge is cooling on 12v with the engine running; if so it is unlikely to be a problem with the initial relays/fuses in this circuit.

As mentioned above, they (the relays and fuses) are under a (Fiat) black plastic cover to the centre rear of the engine bay.

Conventionally, the fuse will be a 15 amp one next to the unused space in a four-way holder. The relay may be either of the two - the other being responsible for split/charge of the leisure battery.

If you have checked these fuses, then it may be worth swapping the two relays over to see if only one is functional.

If the relays and fuse(s) check out OK, then the next thing to check is the D+ (alternator) signal to the relays which should switch them when the engine is running.

Good morning you clever people! The saga continues..... The blue fuse went again and when I replaced it the step retracted but the beeping didn't stop. I found that the Middle of the three fuses (yellow) had also blown so I changed it too. However, the beeping still wouldn't stop. I can't work out what the function of the Middle fuse is (was?). The bottom yellow is for manual operation of the step.So I have left the two blown fuses out and will have to remember to retract the step manually before I start the engine. Unless you know different.....?

Jane

....you need to do some more digging, or get it looked at by an electrician.

The initial fuse you replaced will also be running the fridge on 12v (on the move) so it isn't a good idea to remove it.

The middle fuse should be a 20amp one protecting the leisure battery charge function - not a good idea to remove this one either ;-).

You can download a decent wiring diagram from here:

http://www.sargentltd.co.uk/Swift_Motorhome_schematics_2005.pdf

Hi Jane, had nearly similar problems on my Autotrail , step would come in, buzzer sound, then would blow blue fuse in engine bay. Turned out to be the harness, from all these fuses which runs down back of engine, was chaffing against engine and had worn through harness, causing blue fuse to blow, which worked the step, leisure Battrey charging and 12v fridge (on the move). Put plastic sheathing over harnes and all is good now.

Might not be same problem for you, but cables touch vibrating engines, not good idea.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Having looked at the circuit diagram and with your description of the buzzer operating continuously I would be looking at the wiring and relays that control the step, if you can find them. In my Kontiki they are hidden in the area behind the slide out drinks cabinet adjacent to the habitation door. If you can trace wiring back from the control switches you will find the step relay and buzzer and hopefully something amiss. Good luck :-D

Archived