Fon in France with Solwise Alfa Router

lennyhb

Help

I can log onto Fon directly with either my netbook or iPad but if I connect with my long range aerial & the router I can get a connection, but when I open a browser I just get a message saying "your computer is not connected to the internet".

Now I have connected to other networks in France using the aerial & router works fine & Fon works OK in the UK.

Any of you Fon experts have any ideas I've tried all sorts of configurations on the router including disabling the firewall without success. It looks like the router is blocking the Fon homepage.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Eddie, but that's not the problem I can connect ok via a laptop or ipad it's when I use the alpa router it blocks any internet access I think it's blocking the fon login page as I can get onto other networks with the router. Next time I get a fon signal I'll trying playing about with ports on the router.

I'm currently in France, Point du Raz, Finistere tonight actually ( highly recommended) have been able to access the internet with completely no usage limit using a "3" network pay as you go sim, since they launched their feel at home service that coincided with us coming over on the 2nd of this month a fifteen pounds top up gives 30 days unlimited usage. Connection I have noticed has been via F-Bouygues Telecom. The abilty to be able to use apps that previously incurred large fees, or surf the net now without that consideration has been a game changer on this trip, not to mention looking up everything under the sun has been a real boon. So no more hanging around at McDonalds anymore for us to catch up with things, having said all that I am obviously using a smart phone not tethering to a laptop, anyway I hope my post is of some help.

There is a down side though, reading about our UK political class tying themselves up in knots over the Scottish malarky, and hearing of the chances of us ending up with an extra unwanted passenger in the middle of October when we come back, unless we get gassed of course and our last 2000 Euros stolen.

Cracked it, as usual turned out to be something dead simple that I missed.

Looking at the sastictis after trying everything I could think of, I noticed the LAN & WAN IP addresses were in the same range.

When connected to a Fon, LAN was 192.168.2.1 & the WAN was 192.168.2.81 so looks like French Fon routers have a default address of 192.168.2.xx, changed my LAN to a different range and it all works.

• 1 month later...

The guys on Facts are looking at this thread at the moment, I can't rely on there (to tight to pay up).

Barry,

No fixed ip on PC or ipad, it was the default ip of the Alfa router that was in the same range as the French Fon routers so I changed the default ip of the router to a different range.

Archived