Pre purchase inspection

mikeymay

We are just about to purchase a motorhome privately, Autotrail Arapaho, and would like to get an inspection completed.

I did book one through MACIC but unfortunately the guy doing them has just taken poorly and can't do it.

I have spoken to the AA and RAC but neither of them can inspect vehicles over 3500kg. I have looked at the DEKRA website and they also don't do over 3500kg.

Has anyone used anyone else and been happy with the service? I am happy to have separate habitation and mechanical tests if necessary.

Thanks

Guest JudgeMental

I used DEKRA in February, only because someone who bought my old van used them. they are very precise with a reasonable cost compared to the likes of AA who just use agents anyway and take a big cut........a bit surprised they only cover 3500. Sorry don't know what to suggest, try talking to an independent inspector. I used them in Germany and they were half the price...

Are you assuming that they only cover campers up to 3500 as that's what the automatic form on website says?. Two options, call them and find out why, or play dum and book inspection anyway......it might be that they are not insured/licensed to drive over 3500 kg., which is a bit surprising.....

Thanks for those JM.

I am hoping the experience with dekra is possible a one off......

The sleek is going to contact the dealer they purchased from to enquire about getting a 12 month warranty.

Also there are some places close to him that can do mechanical and habitation checks. Unfortunately these will be done separately so may cost a bit more than macic.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived