Child seats and zero seat belts?

Hymer694

We have been looking for our first MH for a while now, wanted fixed bed, Garage and other definates, but our main problem alot of the time has been the childrens seating. As many have pointed out they have beds for 6 and seats for 2 with belts, why??? . Or you have to re arrange the seating cushions in order to sit them down each time. We had 2 favourites but they both had them sitting together, not always good, 14 male, 6 year old female. We found the CI Carioca this weekend and am going to have another look at NEC Saturday, it has beds for 6, seat belts for 6, where they will be facing each other. The 2 going backwards are only lap belts, but I understand from other threads that this is perfectly acceptable.

M&A, look closely at the back rest of the rearwards facing seat. This is frequently just a panel of veneered chipboard with no real structure to it. In the event of a head on (I know you don't intend to have one but they do happen) collision this panel will not be strong enough to withstand even a childs weight against it. It needs to have a pretty sturdy metal framework behind it which is very securely fixed to the vehicle's structure. You also need to consider whether the proposed occupant of this seat will be ok travelling backwards. I've tried it on a train and didn't like it one bit. D.

Thanks for the warning Dave, the ones I am looking at here in the picture , have similar head restraints to in a car, that slot into back of the seat and you can change the height of them accordingly, and the same on the other side. As to which way he is facing I dont think he will bother as long as he doesn't have to sit next to his sister, and we have always done alot of miles in the car so he is used to travelling.

[QUOTE]Mandy&Andy - 2006-10-18 12:23 PM Thanks for the warning Dave, the ones I am looking at here in the picture , have similar head restraints to in a car, that slot into back of the seat and you can change the height of them accordingly, and the same on the other side. As to which way he is facing I dont think he will bother as long as he doesn't have to sit next to his sister, and we have always done alot of miles in the car so he is used to travelling.[/QUOTE] I just did a search for Carioca on Google and from what I can find i take it you're looking at the 656 model. I notice that although this is a 6.5 metre long 6 berth motorhome it only has 3400 KGs max weight and the 2.0 litre JTD engine. I suggest you look very closely at the weights as with four of you in plus all your clobber you could well find you will be overloaded. Also while the 2.0 litre engine should be fine for a small 'van you may find it struggles with one of this size. From the pictures I could find the rear facing seat does look pretty well made but its impossible to tell what the actual structure is like from photos. D. I've just looked again and there is the bigger garage model with a quoted payload of 910Kgs and a MTPLM of 3850. Unfortunately this still has the 2.0 litre JTD lump which would definitely struggle with such a heavy 'van.

hi again, You need to look closer,,, its a 2.8 engine and yes it is the garage one we are looking at. In fact getting closer by the day to buying. Unladen Mass 3850, payload 913 . This isnt too bad is it compared to some it seemed alot better. I realise it is a step down from the origional we were lookin at the TEC with garage, but at a saving of £10,000, and still have nearly all the things we really needed with out the bonus extras (some of which we hope to negotiate with as we will be cash buyer with no PX) , we felt we can always move up in 5 years when we know for certain (which I do) that we will love this as much as we are thinking we will. As I say the seat belts where a big issue for us as many we looked at didnt cater for the family at all. I have an older daughter who on occasions is threatening to come with us too, providing we can guarantee her sunshine .

I thought it was a bit strange to have the 2.0 litre engine in such a big 'van, must have been a misprint on the site I was looking at, just like the 3850 Kgs unladen figure is. That should read MTPLM (Maximum Technically Permitted Laden Mass) 3850 Kgs. I'd still check the structure of that rear facing dinette seat back before you buy though. D.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived