First Trip Abroad with MH - Any Advice?

Lois

Hi all, please excuse me for this post as I'm sure most of my queries have been covered to death elsewhere on this forum. We are in the process of organising a 12 day tour via Chunnel (1-12 Oct) taking in Brugge, Ypres (war graves), visiting family in Dordogne and then Normandy Beaches. Our 2 daughters and our 6 month old Lab Poppy will also accompany us on this trip (although I'm not 100% sure if we should take dog this trip as she's a bit over-excitable!). We've been to France on many occasions before but never in the MH. Aside from being aware of any 'illegals' that may wish to hitch their way back with us, is there anything we should be aware of? or, anything we should look out for that's not already on the radar (i.e. POI en-route, french phrases at tolls etc. We are really looking forward to this trip but are also a little apprehensive (fear of the unknown!) Never used Aires before so any recommendations of good ones would be much appreciated. Also have a question - do you still need the red stripy board on the back of the van if you have bike rack but no bikes on it?

Thanks

Just go and enjoy yourselves. The only 'rule' you really need to remember though you won't find it a problem is the traffic drives on the other side! That's pretty much it in a nutshell. That you have family in France i'm sure you must know European countries are way way more welcoming to people with Motorhomes than what the UK is and provides facilities for them in many towns, even very small ones. Also it's not unusual to find facilities to dump your waste water and tank up with fresh at some Supermarkets.....something unthinkable here in the UK!

The striped hazzard board, if you aren't carrying anything on it then you don't need one. Avoid doing a Supermarket shop at Calais as MH/Campers are prone to being broken into.

As for your 6 month old Labrador......bring her to me! I'll have her! The last dog i owned was a labrador but that was 35 years ago now. Missed but not forgotten. :'(

Guest pelmetman

Welcome Lois..............Motorhomes and dogs were made for each other B-)............

Your planning on doing a lot of mileage for your first trip? :-S..........If using motorways avoid staying overnight on the aires ;-)................or fit a CO alarm 8-)............

Can only speak for myself obviously, but that sounds like far more driving to do in that time scale, using the toll routes saves on time, but will significantly add to your costs. We thought Brugge hugely overrated. We almost exclusively use camping car Aires, they range from absolutely dire, to some marvellous gems, buy the "All the Aires" book published by vicarious books, a must have IMO, as for command of the language ours is next to zero, it is a far easier country to tour now, buying fuel for example many card machines automatically bring up a UK language menu. Lastly, just go and enjoy, we find the French manner of driving to be largely very cautious, they will only overtake if there is at least a mile of clear road, and the other bugbear of traffic from the right having priority ( which was always fun ) has almost completely disappeared thank God.

There is simply nothing to be apprehensive about, go once in your MH, and you'll certainly be back for more, enjoy.

Thanks all for your replies and encouragement! I guess the beauty of motorhoming is the flexibility it gives, I hadn't really thought much about distance so I guess we'll play it by ear and amend accordingly. The last thing we want is to feel as though it's just been one long road trip with no R&R! I also think we'll not take to dog this time, going to put her in kennels although not happy about that as we'll miss her :'( Although, not sure how the MH would've fared with her bouncing around in it (that's with her crated!), guess it would be different on a more leisurely, rural trip.

Will also order the aires book!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Check for any nasties that dogs may catch in the different countries and seek advice from your vet before you go. We went recently and started a course of something or other quite a while before leaving.

Also depending where you are going check out dogs and sand flies.

Above all enjoy yourself! oh yeah and post some pictures!

Bon voyage,

The Ypres campsite is very fully booked and has a complicated check in system if you use a card.

You have to type in the booking code, a card appears and you have to put it in a holder to validate it before use. Many folk are seen waving their cards at the gate without success because they didn't follow the instructions.

The MH pitches are small, the caravan/camping ones huge, but some sloping.

A brilliant playground for the kids, especially the zip wire, a short walk past a good Aire by the canal to the Menin Gate. Loads of rabbits which will interest the pup.

Lots of chocolate shops, visit the Cloth Hall to get the whole story before visiting Tyne Cot and the Paschendaal museum. But only climb the tower if you are brave.

Say hello to Andre at Over the Top tours next to the gate, many souvenirs, but ask for a discount.

I assume you have the pet passport sorted. There is a vet about 500m from the Menin Gate, just by the roadside cemetery, he charged €54 for two labs with injection and check up. More than 24hrs and less than 5 days before return.

Joe90 - 2014-09-18 4:13 PM

French manner of driving to be largely very cautious, they will only overtake if there is at least a mile of clear road, and the other bugbear of traffic from the right having priority ( which was always fun ) has almost completely disappeared thank God.

Blimey Mike what France, are you in?

I've been driving in France for over 30 years the French normally only overtake when approaching a blind bend or in the face of oncoming vehicles. One thing the French hate is being stuck behind a Camping Car even if it's driving at or above the speed limit. (lol)

As for the OP, just go and enjoy I will agree with Mike far too many miles in 12 days, especially with kids on board, France is a country to be taken at a leisurely pace in a Motorhome.

Its funny how peoples perceptions are different, on one thing we are agreed, they can't overtake, and reversing seems a challenge, but we do love seeing the French ladies trying to guide their motorhoming men folk into a parking spot.

Joe90 - 2014-09-30 11:18 AM

but we do love seeing the French ladies trying to guide their motorhoming men folk into a parking spot.

Oh yes I do agree with that, love when they spend 10min getting him to the exact spot then change their mind and start all over again.

As for French servicing at a borne - paint dries quicker,

Archived