Sunroof on Chausson

jackieb

We have a Chausson Welcome 64 with a large curved sunroof over the cab. When travelling in direct sun we need the blind partly closed to shield the driver, but the concertina blind and the net blind sag quite badly. Has anyone any ideas to make driving more comfortable? :

I believe Knaus was the first motorhome manufacturer to to fit this type of sunroof and the concertina-blind on their early sunroofs used to sag appallingly. This was a good few years ago and a revised design was rapidly introduced with a deeper profile to the concertina section that provided extra stiffness.

You could, I guess, use something like the rooflight insulation ‘screens’ shown here

http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/IsomattenInsulationInternalScreens.htm

to provide shading while driving. At least that would sidestep the sagging problem.

A possible alternative, if the sagging is so bad that you feel you can’t tolerate it, would be to DIY-stiffen the concertina section, but this might not be easy to do without the result looking a mess. I’d be looking at glueing one (or more) lengths of thin carbon-fibre material along the top of the concertina material on the sunroof side. Carbon-fibre ’spars’ are used by aeromodellers for stiffening models’ structures and provide strength with extreme lightness. (I’m not recommending this approach as I’ve never attempted it, but it’s the only thing I can think of that might work and be relatively inconspicuous.)

Have you discussed this with a Chausson dealership? If it’s a known problem that has resulted in numerous complaints from Chausson owners, a dealer may be able to offer advice on the best way forward.

Archived