Talbot Express

fred22

Hi,

I have been looking at some Talbot based Motorhomes and have noticed that some are showing signs of rust in the corners of the windscreen where the down supports from the roof meet the bonnet.

I understand these down supports are used to drain water from the roof and they can get blocked.

Is this treatable and how could it be done.

Some motors I have seen have been repaired by using filler but this does not appear correct as surely the water from the roof still has to drain somewhere and I assume the question of supporting the roof must be taken into account.

And the 64 dollar question is it expensive to treat?(probably more expensive not to treat?)

Guest pelmetman

Common rust spot on the Sevel vans, the section needs cutting out and a new section put in...........using filler is just a bodge *-)................Can't say how expensive it is on a Sevel van, as my experience is with trannies but the bill for my cab to be done up to a better than new standard, with 2 new wings and cross member was about 1600 quid, but you should only need it done every 20 years :D...............

The hardest job will be finding a decent body shop that will do it :-|................

fred22 - 2014-09-18 5:15 PM

Hi,

I have been looking at some Talbot based Motorhomes and have noticed that some are showing signs of rust in the corners of the windscreen where the down supports from the roof meet the bonnet.

I understand these down supports are used to drain water from the roof and they can get blocked.

Is this treatable and how could it be done.

Some motors I have seen have been repaired by using filler but this does not appear correct as surely the water from the roof still has to drain somewhere and I assume the question of supporting the roof must be taken into account.

And the 64 dollar question is it expensive to treat?(probably more expensive not to treat?)

I rebuilt a 1988 Talbot Based Autosleeper Talisman. Talbots were never designed to last very long, and didn't have very good corrosion protection, weak points are, Wings (replacements available but scarce) Cab doors,around the bottom, rotted easily, Doors available from Scrap Dealers, and lower repair panels used to be available. Bonnet front Lip, rusted quickly. Replacement bonnets from scrap dealers, or repair strip panel. Front Grille support Panel (behind grille) replacement panel available (in 2006).

Now, 'The Scuttle Panel' which is the problem you have seen, new Scuttle Panels were available on E Bay. But they are difficult to fit, and need welding professionaly. Personally I would 'Pass by' the ones with Body rot around the windscreen or below it. OR go for one that has had a new Scuttle panel welded in already.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TALBOT-EXPRESS-1982-1994-SCUTTLE-PANEL-NEW-/200628147806?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb65e965e

Good Luck Ray

Archived