Well, we did it - and we survived!

multiplamum

Having posted various 'stupid' questions as new motorhomers planning a long trip to France I thought I should let you know we are now home after nearly 10 weeks travelling around Normandy, Brittany and The Vendee.

Those of you who said I didn't need to panic that we hadn't booked sites were right, as were those who said that the Brittany coast in August was best avoided.

We stayed in a total of 44 different places including private sites, municipals, aires and even a beach side layby and for anyone who is interested I have listed them all with a brief description and the price we paid and attached a word doc (tried pdf but too big).

If were were doing it again I would definitely go in May, June and July (an option not available to us this year) and I would take more information with me on municipal sites, as wifi was often not available or expensive, and we loved the municipals.

Hope the attached info is of some interest.

2014 Site Record.docx

Guest JudgeMental

Blimey..You are organised, well done! Glad you had a good trip :-D

we prefer the municipal system as well, but like anything they can range from the dire to excellent..

JudgeMental - 2014-09-21 1:48 PM

Blimey..You are organised, well done! Glad you had a good trip :-D

That was one reason why i was panicking before we went and did struggle a bit with the whole ' go with the flow' aspect of motorhoming while we were away. I like being organised, I like researching where we are going to stay and knowing what the place we are heading to will be like. As we agreed while away - 'It's really nice going to new, unknown places, - as long as they are nice when you get there!'

Guest JudgeMental
while we research destinations carefully, when touring you can be more relaxed as if site variable you just move on elsewhere or stay the one night if tired........There are pills available that may help :D

Now you have done it you are wondering what you were worried about :-D I agree earlier is better we go May/June for 6 weeks and it is much better than late July/August.

I dont ever depend on the internet we have a lot of ACSI sites on our TomTom as well as the BordAtlas for France /Germany and surrounding area,s, also the All the Aires France, I have recently downloaded the Acsi app on my ipad and a BVCD free app which I haven't used yet that is its Campinplatz in Deutschland.

You need as many reference books as you can comfortably find room for in my experience :-D . Thanks for the tip on Brittany I wonder what its like in late May?

We used All the Aires and visited tourist offices as they often had info on aires which were not in the book. We also used the Alan Rogers book which was very useful but did mean that the sites were full of Brits and we preferred the more 'French' ones - no offence, but 'when in France' and all that. I would imagine that Brittany in May would be very much like Cornwall at the same time - weather could be lovely but i bet the sea would be cold!!

Guest JudgeMental
If you have a sat nav (cheap enough these days at under £100 with life time map updates). You can download all the Aires and campsites + other POI resources onto it for free.... Saves a lot of time when touring around looking for places to stop for a night.

JudgeMental - 2014-09-21 4:43 PM

If you have a sat nav (cheap enough these days at under £100 with life time map updates). You can download all the Aires and campsites + other POI resources onto it for free.... Saves a lot of time when touring around looking for places to stop for a night.

Don't they only give you the addresses? I am afraid that (without suggested pills) I needed to know a bit more about the site than the name and how to get there. We could always find somewhere to stay but wanting to stay there was a different matter all together!

Guest JudgeMental
multiplamum - 2014-09-21 4:53 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-09-21 4:43 PM

Don't they only give you the addresses? I am afraid that (without suggested pills) I needed to know a bit more about the site than the name and how to get there. We could always find somewhere to stay but wanting to stay there was a different matter all together!

Yes but you can always cross reference the location via internet, book whatever...just means getting there easier. mine has 100's of thousands POI loaded. for everything imaginable regards touring, shopping, fuel, LPG etc.....

Well done Multiplamum

Get yourself a 3 mobile smart phone, or a pay as you go 3 sim if your phone is unlocked we have been taking advantage of there newly launched " same as home" tariff, £15 for 30 days all you can eat data plan, we are right now in the middle of Brittany making this post. This has transformed our autumn trip, and apps that used to be prohibitively expensive are no more, being able to use the camping car infos, Archies campings, Google maps and my LPG has been extremely useful, can't praise the 3 network enough for this facility. We have yet to find even the remotest place devoid of a signal, brilliant.

Only a personal opinion, but Brittany has proved rather a disappointing experience, we have never come across so many height barriers in any other regions of France, even seen them as low as 1.9 metres, the only plus point we can see are toll free motorways which will allow a hasty exit, needless to say we won't be coming back.

Joe90 - 2014-09-21 5:22 PM

Well done Multiplamum

Get yourself a 3 mobile smart phone, or a pay as you go 3 sim if your phone is unlocked we have been taking advantage of there newly launched " same as home" tariff, £15 for 30 days all you can eat data plan, we are right now in the middle of Brittany making this post. This has transformed our autumn trip, and apps that used to be prohibitively expensive are no more, being able to use the camping car infos, Archies campings, Google maps and my LPG has been extremely useful, can't praise the 3 network enough for this facility. We have yet to find even the remotest place devoid of a signal, brilliant.

Very jealous Joe90. i think you are getting better weather than we had - August was poor throughout France.

Thanks for the idea.

Yes we've got lucky, sorry to hear you did not fare so well, almost all sunshine since 2nd of Sept, mind you the sweet corn looks in need of a good drink, and it's forcast to get a good drop soon. Astonishing how many vans are still about though, we were expecting to have the place to ourselves ! !

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2014-09-21 6:56 PM

Astonishing how many vans are still about though, we were expecting to have the place to ourselves ! !

Its been bloomin warm here in Dordogneshire and loads of Brits here in Duras........ not many Brit campers though ;-)..................Maybe my gassing thread paid off :D..............

pelmetman - 2014-09-22 1:18 PM

Joe90 - 2014-09-21 6:56 PM

Astonishing how many vans are still about though, we were expecting to have the place to ourselves ! !

Its been bloomin warm here in Dordogneshire and loads of Brits here in Duras........ not many Brit campers though ;-)..................Maybe my gassing thread paid off :D..............

Or they heard you are there,.............didn't want to get collared by you and risk an ear banging about old knackers, and scam insurance claims stories.

When are you heading back up to Calais, we could arrange a meet, now that WOULD be interesting !

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2014-09-22 4:37 PM

When are you heading back up to Calais, we could arrange a meet, now that WOULD be interesting !

On the 30th via the chunnel.................My classic camper is easy to spot ;-)..................

Not sure how I'll recognize you though, as you've had so many identities I doubt you know yourself :D............

Unless that avatar picture you posted once........ really was you >:-).............

pelmetman - 2014-09-23 11:12 AM

Joe90 - 2014-09-22 4:37 PM

On the 30th via the chunnel.................My classic camper is easy to spot ;-)..................

I'll keep an eye open on the hard shoulder then ! !

Archived