Buying Advice Hymer Classic C524 2005

Nelwdn

Hi

I am looking at buying a Hymer Classic C524. It was new in 2005, and is based on a Fiat 2.8. It has only done 12,000 miles and is up for £22,000.

Is this a reasonable price, and are there any particular issues I should look out? I have read reviews of similar models, but cant find any reviews of this exact model, so any advice would be appreciated.

Any idea of what sort of MPG I will get?

Thanks

Will

Had one of these for years.the side locker locks wear out the housing.rust at the rear of the chassis may of started due to underseal becoming hard and flaking. Mpg 25mpg, check when cam belt and rollers last changed, and dont fall for the 100, 000 miles rubbish. Its a 4 years interval change, front rad crossmember can have bad rusting.hymers are well made, maybe the white ones look a bit dated these days. Engines are strong, I but 90, 000 miles on mine before selling it on.michael

Thanks for the advice so far. As I understand it the GT model has an alko chassis, which I guess is better / stronger. I don't think this one is a GT, although will check when I go back to the dealer.

Glad that the engines last well, but will check on the cam belt, as it has only done 12,000 it may well not have been done.

W

For the low mileage, I'd check the service history thoroughly because these vans suffer as much, if not more, through lack of use rather than too much use. My 05 plated Hymer averaged 6k pa and I thought that was too low.

Check the tyres because motorhome tyres tend to degrade with age rather than tread. Age of tyres should be on the tyres. Wisdom is to change them between 7 and 10 years, checking for cracks etc. If they have been changed, check to ensure decent new tyres have been used - including the spare. probably supplied new with Michelin Camping Tyres or Vanco equivalent.

My Hymer did 28mpg over 48k miles without missing a beat. I doubt you will see much more than 25mpg because of the luton, perhaps 27mpg with care.

Have a think about where the van has been stored through the periods of inactivity.

Check the rear overhang to see if chassis rails or extension beams are very badly rusted. My Hymer had Hymer fitted extensions for the rear overhang and these were just painted metal that soon rusted.

If 6 people are going to use the van, the payload needs to be investigated. MIRO was 2990kg plus any extras fitted. Hymers come in a basic form and Hymer UK or Brownhills, who presumably imported the vehicle originally, add numerous extras for the UK market e.g. the UK pack added another 40kg. We found the payload on ours, 400kg, sufficient for 2 adults and 2 children for up to 3 weeks. No bikes though. Chassis' were 3,400kg, 3,500 kg with 3,900kg an optional extra. Rear bunks were for children.

Overall, it was a well made van competitively priced and if it suits your needs and has been well looked after, its should provide lots of enjoyment.

There were three levels of Hymer alcove coachbuilts in 2005, Classic, C-class and Class GT.

Archived