securing motorbike to hymer pull out motorbike rack

Besse11300

Recently purchased 1995 b544 with integral motorbike rack. Have yamaha ybr125 which comfortably sits on rack. Van rated at 3500kg, rack rated to carry 130kg and bike is 120kg incl full tank of fuel! And MAD Spring assistors fitted!

Problem of securing bike to rack? There are no supports or posts on the rack. Have succesfully secured using ratchet straps and ropes, though there are no apparent fixing points! Is there something missing from the rack? Or can someone suggest easier and quicker method?

Guest JudgeMental
Having a pull out bike rack is all very well, but do you have the spare axle capacity to carry bike on it on a 3500 rated van.. you need to weigh the van laden to find out. As for is there something missing from rack, it sounds like there should be uprights...a picture might help or at least the make/model of rack..good luck

No experience of using one of these Hymer racks but if there is no vertical post against which the bike can lean or be restrained when in use it suggests something might be missing.

Hymer (in Germany) are very helpful with technical stuff and will also supply (via the internet) copies of any documentation you need, often in English. Go to hymer.com, find the relevant contact page and make your request, in English, and they will reply. You should supply the Hymer serial number of your vehicle, which will allow them to consult their manufacturing records. Nowadays this number is on a sticker on the outside of thevan but when yours was built it would have been inside somewhere - as a I recall somewhere near the habitation door. Hymer's design standards are top class and they will have provided some effective means of securing a bike in combination with the rack itself.

I saw a picture of a Hymer which had an integrated motorcycle rack which showed an extra rail fitted to the rear of the vehicle. It looked like the same type of rail Hymers uses for securing luggage in the garage and special eyebolts can be fitted into it for securing purposes. The rail I saw was fastened to the rear panel, preumably simply by drilling holes and bolting into a rail or big washers inside to spread the load.

It would be possible to attach a fabricated distance piece to this rail as well as ordinary eyebolts, to hold the bike off.

Good luck.

Theres a "T" shaped fold out bracket on the back of my van ('93) which has eyes for strapping the seat to and is padded to rest the seat against, other than that I use hold down straps for the wheels. But I would almost swear that it was not an Hymer fitting being fairly crude, you can just see it in my Gallery in the picture titled 'Back box'.

Archived