Electric bikes and Fiamma bike rack

tonyg3nwl

Does anyone know if the Fiamma bike racks on rear of a motorhome have a limit for weight carrying.

I appreciate that rear axle loads are relevant constraints, but my query relates to stress on rack itself and associated fittings. We have 2 bikes each weighing 19.5 kg plus batteries at 4kg and are folding type.

last time we weighed before bike purchase, overall weight gave us 300 kg spare before reaching limit of 3500kg, with rear axle spare of approx 200kg. Putting bikes on back wiill theoritically still be in limit of 3500, so should be ok.

batteries will be carried separately in the vehicle, loading as far forward as possible to better balance axle loads..

Should I consider any thing else..how do others carry electric bikes?.

tony.

Guest Had Enough
tonyg3nwl - 2014-09-24 9:59 AM

Does anyone know if the Fiamma bike racks on rear of a motorhome have a limit for weight carrying.

I appreciate that rear axle loads are relevant constraints, but my query relates to stress on rack itself and associated fittings. We have 2 bikes each weighing 19.5 kg plus batteries at 4kg and are folding type.

last time we weighed before bike purchase, overall weight gave us 300 kg spare before reaching limit of 3500kg, with rear axle spare of approx 200kg. Putting bikes on back wiill theoritically still be in limit of 3500, so should be ok.

batteries will be carried separately in the vehicle, loading as far forward as possible to better balance axle loads..

Should I consider any thing else..how do others carry electric bikes?.

tony.

We now have two ebikes, both slightly heavier than yours. I hated the typical high bike rack. It's a heavy lift and putting a protective cover on them is made harder by the height.

Every time I missed a sleeping policeman or similar bump on the road I felt as if the bike rack may detach itself along with the rear wall.

In the end I fitted a towbar and one of these http://goo.gl/WdOVIo and I would suggest that you watch the short video. It's a brilliant design. As it's low it's easy to lift the bikes on and very easy to put a cover over them.

Drawbacks are weight and cost. The towbar and bike rack might add 60 kg, so for you it could be too much and the two items aren't cheap. For anyone who doesn't mind the cost and has the payload, the Thule is a brilliant piece of kit that can be used on another vehicle and your next 'van.

It took my axle loading to the limit and I felt that the front end was a bit light. My problem is solved as yesterday I sold my 'van and will soon be getting another one with an enormous payload.

Ps To answer your question, all Fiamma racks have a maximum loading and their website always gives it for each model. But although mine was 50 kg I wasn't happy with the 44 kg I was putting on it.

Guest JudgeMental
always thought the fiamma rack had a 30 kg limit. that is why we went for thule that had 50kg. but the 2 door van version is rubbish would not recommend for e bikes. but you have a CB so a different rack which may well be more stable.... only thing, securing a bike to an aluminium rack not the most theft proof option.....

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-09-24 10:25 AM

always thought the fiamma rack had a 30 kg limit. that is why we went for thule that had 50kg. but the 2 door van version is rubbish would not recommend for e bikes. but you have a CB so a different rack which may well be more stable.... only thing, securing a bike to an aluminium rack not the most theft proof option.....

There are several of them that go over 50 kg and some of the pro models for specific brands, such as Hymer, have a 60 kg limit.

But I'm still not happy having that kind of weight mounted on the back wall!

Guest JudgeMental
I dont blame you, when I had a CB and used the rack and not garage it did affect the handling.....lower centre of gravity always better but as you say a more expensive and heavier solution but at least you can secure the bikes to chassis....

• 3 weeks later...
Tony, sure my Fiamma instructions showed 50kg limit and I carry 2 Raleigh electric bikes which weigh the same as yours, likewise I carry the batteries inside, been doing this for last 2 years and no problems. Suppose it all depends on how well the dealer fitted the rack to the van though?, Graeme

Archived