Carpets

Stitches

My Hobby motorhome hibernated from November through February and I always used to store the mattress and removable seat-cushions in my house during that period, but I used to leave the carpets in place.

If your Hymer’s carpets are like my Hobby’s - thin, with a sealed back, and (probably) of all man-made fibre - I can’t see any harm coming to them if you leave them in the vehicle (unless you get a mice infestation, of course!) If you did remove them, it would be best to store them flat, or at least only loosely rolled, which might prove tricky unless you’ve got plenty of room.

Having said that, are you actually talking about ‘over winter storage’, or just asking whether it would be preferable to remove the carpets when operating your motorhome during the winter months? If the latter, and you want to keep your original carpets in pristine condition when the weather is wet and the ground (probably) mucky, you might be wise to remove them and replace them temporarily with some cheap carpet offcuts.

I ‘wet-cleaned’ cleaned my Hobby’s factory-supplied carpets a couple of times during my 9 years of ownership and they came up pretty well, but I wouldn’t have wanted to use the vehicle with just the vinyl floor with no ‘soft’ covering on it as it’s very cold on the bare tootsies and the vinyl can get scuffed quite easily.

I noticed that, in the 2015 Rapido options list, there was a “Kit Lino”. This turned out to be a set of thin shaped lino pieces (matching the floor’s top surface) instead of a a set of carpets. This approach might be worth considering to provide protection for the floor, though I would not have wanted to pay the €200 being asked for the Kit Lino, nor the €750 being asked for carpets.

Guest Had Enough

I've just sold my Hobby and the carpets were like new after four and a half years. We kept them in for insulation and comfort but covered them with thin washable rugs from Ikea. After a trip the rugs went into the washing machine.

They were like bath mats I suppose but rectangular and patterned and we'd just shake them out ever few days when touring.

We leave our carpets in all the time and have a plastic boot tray just inside the door so that we step into this and take our shoes off before going anywhere else. We always take our shoes off at the door in the house so no difference. If we come in after a walk if it has been raining we can get into the van quickly onto the boot tray, take our boots off then transfer them to the boot at the back of the van through the hatch.

Carpets are warm underfoot and much more preferable to hard floors. If you have paid for carpets why not use them? I am not going to store them and hand over to the next owner as new, I paid for them and I want to use them. It is easy to take your shoes off to keep them clean. By the way, I have a pair of slippers in the van - anyone else have slippers or am I a complete nutcase?

I have slippers but end up going outside in them which defeats the object i suppose? I always used to put lightweight rugs down over carpet ,and then put them in washer....they ALWAYS move about and get rucked up!! FYI i have used a carpet cleaner on my beige carpet that was getting grimy in the doorway of conservatory ,and it worked wonderfully well i was amazed: its vanish and you sprinkle it on carpet rub it in with brush and twenty minutes later hoover it up ..great : so use your carpets then treat em with vanish. ...i prefer carpets everytime.pp :)

Guest pelmetman

Thinking of changing my carpet............as after 24 years 76k miles 3 dogs its starting to look a bit shabby :-S.............

Should I sue?.......................Or is this what I should expect quality wise? :-S.................

Progress eh :D ......

First thing we do with a new van is removed the carpets,put them in a bag in the loft, ready for 'trade in time'.

We have 2 labradors who refuse to take their shoes off when entering the van, even though we do !

We have some washable runners, and washable doormats that take away the cold feeling of the otherwise uncarpeted floor. (the dogs ARE NOT allowed onto the seats ) so the van stays 'presentable'.

Ray

We also have slippers for use in the van; they're more comfortable than outdoor footwear.

In summer we leave the carpets out, it's cooler.  In winter we put the carpets in for insulation and warmth; except for the kitchen one as I like to be able to give the kitchen floor a wipe over regularly.  We do however use mats which soak up any incoming wet and we leave our shoes on the one by the door.

We have a dog and she usually comes with us, she does not go on seats at home or in the van.  If she's got mucky feet she gets sluiced off with the outside shower and then rubbed down with her own towel which lives in the underseat locker by the door. 

I don't agree with keeping things pristine for someone else's benefit, why purchase something if you're not going to use it?

Hymer carpets are heavy expensive and not that good. Had them in the last van and replaced them after 3 years with gel backed carpet.

Didn't bother with them in the new van just made my own with gel backed carpet cost 40 quid, half the weight of Hymer ones and cheap enough to replace when needed.

If you prefer to run without carpets the heating distribution is so good in the new Exsis you won't be cold.

Madmaggott - 2014-09-27 3:16 PMWe also have slippers for use in the van; they're more comfortable than outdoor footwear.

In summer we leave the carpets out, it's cooler.  In winter we put the carpets in for insulation and warmth; except for the kitchen one as I like to be able to give the kitchen floor a wipe over regularly.  We do however use mats which soak up any incoming wet and we leave our shoes on the one by the door.

We have a dog and she usually comes with us, she does not go on seats at home or in the van.  If she's got mucky feet she gets sluiced off with the outside shower and then rubbed down with her own towel which lives in the underseat locker by the door. 

I don't agree with keeping things pristine for someone else's benefit, why purchase something if you're not going to use it?

#I would agree,but the Autotrail carpets are a stupid pale beige, that wouldn't last long with our dogs.And...... It gives the van a 'lift' when trying to get a few extra quid when Trading it in or selling it privately.And.. they come with the van as standard, you don't have to pay extra for them. Ray

Whilst pottering round Halfords and Lincoln show this weekend, I noticed the large interlocking floor tiles were on offer for £10 for 6 and though ... now they would make a good soft warm floor covering, easy to clean etc for use in a motorhome, and easy to cut to shape ... has anyone used them?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/overalls-safety-equipment/rolson-6-piece-floor-mat-set-120-x-180cm

As for the gel backed carpets ... sorry but they look like the cheapo 'hairy' commercial grade stuff that you see all over the place in tacky shops ... in my view that is! :D

Archived