Ducato black "bumpers"

Tony Norton

Hi All,

Our, 1999, Mohican on Ducato chassis, has the original black "bumper".

At sometime during its life somebody, probably a dealer, has given it a quick blow over with black spray paint, instead of using "Back to Black" which I have always found to be successful in the past.

Trouble is, the paint is now peeling and flaking off, and looks very unsightly. I want to remove all the paint, get back to the original surface, and dig out the old faithful "Back to Black. I don't want to resort to scrapers or glasspaper because, apart from being a lot of graft, that is liable to damage the surface, so the only option is some form of stripper (sit down at the back there!).

My options seem to be: -

(a) if cellulose paint was used, acetone might remove it. I did try, on a small area, some of my wife's nail varnish remover, which did remove some colour from the surface, but seems to indicate that acetone could be a long job, or

(b) NitroMors. Problem with this is that, although it says on the tin that it is safe to use on metals (of course) and some ABS materials, is it safe to use on a Ducato 'bumper'?

Has anybody any experience of this job and can give me a yay or nay on how to go about it?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Tony N

Guest JudgeMental
dont sound like you can make it any worse......had a similar experience with a ford car recently that needed a new front bumper. it was supposed to be supplied primed but when chap fitted and sprayed it the paint started to lift in patches as you describe. dont know what they did but they removed, primed and resprayed. You could also consider having it vinyl wrapped but this probably no cheaper then getting it sprayed....

As one other poster has said give a high pressure cleaner a go, a pal of mine found out the hard way how powerful they can be, halfway through rinsing his car with one rather to late he noticed it was lifting the lacquer finish coat off in numerous places.

Without doubt a conventional paint stripper would at least damage the texture of the bumper as would any attempt using abrasives. There are a lot of graffiti removers around which are designed to remove graffiti from all manner of base materials and I have used one of these in the past to remove sprayed graffiti from a bumper without damage to the bumper. Might be worth researching that.

Guest pelmetman
Tony Norton - 2014-09-25 12:41 PM

Hi All,

Our, 1999, Mohican on Ducato chassis, has the original black "bumper".

At sometime during its life somebody, probably a dealer, has given it a quick blow over with black spray paint, instead of using "Back to Black" which I have always found to be successful in the past.

It appears your bumper has already been resprayed probably due to minor damage ............ I suggest a visit to a local vehicle paint shop............one with a good reputation ;-)............

Removing the paint film by abrasion is a no go as it will destroy the surface.

Stripper might work but try a small patch where it will not show if it goes wrong.

The bumper will need to come off but soda blasting might work. Its far more gentle than bead or sand blasting and there is probably a business locally.

I picked up this tip on the 'net' for renewing the surface of bumpers. Again with the bumper off.

Use a hot air gun. I did my 16 year old VW Lt on the hotter setting three months ago and it came up like new and is still good, just keep moving in tight circles and it refreshes the surface without harming the texture.Just move on as soon as that happens.

Archived