Cards, Wifi & Germany

Bojitoes

I have commented on this subject previously but it is worth advising our current experiences for those intending to travel to Germany in the future.

We are a few days into a 3 week trip having travelled via Dunkirk & Luxembourg. Diesel in Luxembourg is currently 1.175€ per litre, in Germany anything between 1.28 & 1.43.

We have stayed a couple of nights on aires / stellplatz without charge and a couple on ACSI campsites. The Acsi rates have been either 16 or 18€ per night, 1 plus tourist tax of 1.60 per night 1 plus "green " tax, also 1.60 per night.

I have tried to pay both site fees and a restaurant bill by debit card but have been refused on all occasions.The campsite manager here told me that he gives ACSI a good rate but that for all credit / debit card payments his bank charge him 3%- so he will not do it, other wise he will need to increase his charges. Restaurant manager the same thing, even though they advertise the fact that they take cards.

We are also having difficulty getting free wifi. We have been in a number of bars and got the message that wifi networks are available but when asked for the password the staff have advised it is for the management only, not for customers. We have only been able to find free wifi at the tourist information office in Augsburg, everywhere else has been a pay hotspot. We find this very strange and somewhat unusual compared to the service we have in the UK. Luckily we have a wireless dongle and I managed to buy a data sim card for 9.99€ from O2 which gives a week's free access to the net before a monthly 2Gb allowance.

Finally we have found it strange to see peoplle smoking in pubs & restaurants- apparently there is no ban here.

Others may disagree with the above but this is our experience the last few days.

Onwards to the Alps

Bob

hi, Germany as always been odd about bank cards, nothing new there. as to wi fi, yes that's hit and miss. one camp site wanted 9 euros for 24 hours, they did not get it. at Speyer you can go into the hotel lobby which is part of the same site and get free wi fi. But I think it is seen by many places as a money for nothing sort of thing. It was interesting that Dunkirk allows free wi fi for 20 mins in the car waiting area.

michael

Archived