Wafarin and long term travelling

chris

Unfortunately it looks like my husband will have to come off aspirin and transfer to wafarin. There are alternatives but the National Health is broke so I don't think these drugs will be issued.

How do other members manage when they travel abroad for longer periods. We usuall go for about 8 to 12 weeks each trip and always europe.

tHANKS

cHRIS

Can't be sure what you are asking, our GP will give my wife sufficient tablets for her condition, however travel insurance is a whole different ball game, but try GoodtoGo, just do a Google search, they will cover a host of conditions, but do ensure you make full declarations....... all at a price of course.

I have had no trouble getting a prescription for three months and very little trouble in getting INR tests in Eire, Scotland and the Shetlands. I haven't tried in Europe (yet :-D ). I imagine that a simple blood test can be had quite easily but it will probably cost you.

My practice was happy to prescribe Rivaroxaban, one of the expensive new drugs that you refer to, but I decided against taking it as it is a relatively new drug and the effects are reportedly difficult to reverse. So if you do something silly, like fall of a cliff (which I am prone to do) then you are introuble, especially when you are out in the wilds.

Thanks all. We are used to gaining long term travel insuurance and also 3 month prescriptions. Our query is how do you cope with testing and medication for wafarin only? Think we to will avoid the new drugssasrwe are pretty active and hubby is an avid gardener to.

Guest JudgeMental
A local blood test will cost approx 9€ in Europe. Then email the results to your UK hospital department. They will email you back new dosage if necessary.....Its manageable, just use the internet to ID where you can get a test before you go....

I think that most people who have been taking Warfarin for a while will have a good idea of what to do if their INR begins to get close to the boundary of their therapeutic range. When I have my tests I have a game guessing what recommendation/dosage the computer will give and my prediction is usually correct. Also, there is is a table that gives what change in dosage is required and, if you are going to travel for a while, you might be able to persuade a GP or hospital to let you have a copy of this. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to lay my hands on one of these tables.

What's probably more important is to be carefull about what you eat as diet can change while on holiday. You should have, or should get, a list of what foods to avoid but this will include mainly european foods. I very nearly came a cropper eating Papaya for breakfast while in the far east.

Guest JudgeMental

It all depends on how well controlled it is and how often you need INR blood tests here, which can stretch from bi monthly to bi weekly dependent on your control. as yo say change of diet, drink, medication,,, whatever....all can change INR levels, so travelling can be problomatic. Obvious foods to avoid are cranberry, grapefruit and have recently been told cucumber but mainly the skin...I like cucumber *-)

Its hard to get the dosage right and I certainly would not be adjusting my own medication as being over range can have serous consequences. Your hospital hospital will give you all the advice you need, they are used to dealing with travelers (^)

Archived