Fiat power steering problem

dave42

I have a four year old AutoTrail Tracker on a Fiat base. A couple of months ago, turning right around a roundabout I lost power steering for a couple of seconds until I turned the steering wheel to the left again. This only happened once in a 1500 mile trip. The 'van was checked but no fault was found.

Since then I have driven several hundred miles without problem - until a couple of days ago that is. Driving down the M5 on the inside lane I again felt a loss of the power steering when trying to move into the centre lane but had no problem moving to the left back into the inside lane. As I left the motorway I had the same problem at a roundabout. I turned the wheel left as I entered but encountered a loss of power steering as I turned the wheel to the right to go round the roundabout. As soon as I turned the wheel left to exit, the power steering returned. This happened one more time before I got home. I might also have felt a loss of power assistance to the brakes that last time as well as it was just on a right hand bend.

Mechanics are scratching their heads but I don't want to drive again until the problem is fixed. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Hi Dave, I had what I thought was a power steering problem on my Dethleffs Gobebus on a Fiat X2-50 base vehicle. On two occasions while turning right I had a stiffening up of the steering system. On one occasion I could not make a right turn. Fortunately the turn was from a standing start at low speed. The problem turned out to be the cab carpet had shifted so that it interfered with the steering coupling at the base of the steering column. Might not be your problem but worth a look!

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

Archived