Returned yesterday from France

carebear

Arrived home yesterday after 3 weeks in France.

On late arrival we stayed at Cite Europe the night.

At least 20 vans were parked up, so felt safe, didn`t see anyone hanging around.

Through the night we gained an extra passenger under our van, I woke my hubby to say the van was moving, but I was ignored and told to sleep lol. .

Next morning we picked up few bits in Carrefour, then over to Auchan for fuel.

All set to head down south, A16 here we come.

Travelled quite a few miles, then there was an intermittent banging on our van floor, just under the kitchen area, said to hubby we better pull over, so he indicates to let our friends travelling behind us know we were stopping.

As we were slowing down, hubby checks his mirror, only to see a hand waving at the underside of our van.

Our friends behind, were now aware of our passenger as he could see the hand waving they locked their doors and windows, and pulled up behind us.

Eventually our guest appears and walks away casually, behind our van then in front of our friends van. They say he didn't`t look very happy, no doubt peed off he had a hell of a walk back to Calais.

Got back up to Coquelles Friday, over to Auchan to fill up fuel, and a bit of shopping at Leroy Merlins, as our friends were going back to their van, they could see a body crawling from under their van then getting under ours so they shouted at him and off he trot.

They are everywhere, spoke to lots of people and they all say the same, they are not looking to do any damage or break in vans.

The experience didn't` really put us off, on Friday we stayed at Cite Europe again, now there was a few immigrants to be seen, but it seemed it was the coaches they were approaching during daylight hours, there was a security guard present, but it looked as though it was a game of cat n mouse.

They were searching the bins for food, one took half a French stick out and was eating it.

The immigrants were using mobile phones, we noticed as a coach arrived they would get their phones out, how do they charge these phones or top them up.

There was plenty of vans staying at Cite Europe, so it has not put people off staying there, if you are on your return journey, just check under your vehicle, if you have a bike cover check under that.

Safe journey those still to go.

Glad your back safe and sound Carebear. Your information is well documented and a first hand report for anyone travelling via Calais. Everyone must be realistic on what is happening at Calais and it is up to each traveller to decide where they stay, circumstances prevailing.

Thanks for keeping us updated

Chris

Guest Had Enough
derek500 - 2014-09-29 9:25 AM

Joe90 - 2014-09-29 7:32 AM

Or better still don't stay at Cite Europe, many far safer places within a very short drive.

Exactly. And The prices at Cite Europe are inflated for the day trippers.

And your evidence for this is.............? It's odd then that whenever I visit Cite Europe I find that it's full of ordinary French people and the prices in most shops and Carrefour for instance seem to be the same as in other branches.

And as for Saint-Martin-Boulogne, it's 38 kilometres away! I hope there's never an accident or major delay on the motorway when you have a boat to catch!

I'll be sticking to Cite Europe thanks, where I've never had the slightest problem. Used it twice this year and always feel safe.

Most ordinary French folk are not overnighting in a UK registered motorhome,

perhaps you've not read at least a couple of forum users have encountered issues lately, with an aire at Gravelines, and a very peaceful farm stop Aire at Tardingham why take a chance on picking up an unwanted passenger, still as they say its your funeral.

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2014-09-29 12:13 PM

Most ordinary French folk are not overnighting in a UK registered motorhome,

perhaps you've not read at least a couple of forum users have encountered issues lately, with an aire at Gravelines, and a very peaceful farm stop Aire at Tardingham why take a chance on picking up an unwanted passenger, still as they say its your funeral.

I think that most members will have worked out that my reference to ordinary French folk was in relation to the so-called inflated prices charged because there are many day trippers. If the prices were inflated would it be full of ordinary French people?

If you read the thread to which I replied and then my response, but this time read it slowly and try to take it in, it should be clear to you.

And anyone with half a brain knows how to check for unwanted passengers! Cite Europe is great, lots of shops, supermarkets and restaurants to hand and there are always of other motorhomes keeping an eye out for each other should you leave the 'van.

Several years of using it, including twice this year, leads me to believe that it's all exaggerated but still, if people are nervous about where they park that's great, more room for me and those of us who can evaluate real risk.

So what's your evidence they are ordinary French shoppers, they may have travelled miles just as the mugs in the UK do to those outlet villages that are widely acknowledged to be a racket.

And as for evaluating risk its a pity you can't evaluate the risk of a queue consisting of a couple of vans at a borne as well, instead of moaning about it.

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2014-09-29 4:30 PM

Pity you can't evaluate the risk of a queue consisting of a couple of vans at a borne as well instead of moaning about it.

What risk at a borne? But I wasn't moaning, I was simply pointing out what is one big disadvantage of aires, something that people like you conveniently forget!

And as for moaning, you really need to read some of your posts! You could give lessons.

Ps The couple of 'vans at a borne took almost half an hour to fill up, empty their waste and flush the chemical loo. Damn good job I wasn't in a hurry for a ferry. On a site I I can top up every day without moving the motorhome. Very convenient.

In the past I've seen others waiting far longer than that, as half a dozen 'vans queue up at the borne in the morning when most people leave. Still, aires are cheap or free, so some of you will put up with anything I suppose if it saves a few bob.

Guest Had Enough

So what's your evidence they are ordinary French shoppers, they may have travelled miles just as the mugs in the UK do to those outlet villages that are widely acknowledged to be a racket.

What, to go to Carrefour? Do try to keep up.

Had Enough - 2014-09-29 4:39 PM

Pity you can't evaluate the risk of a queue consisting of a couple of vans at a borne as well instead of moaning about it.

What risk at a borne? But I wasn't moaning, I was simply pointing out what is one big disadvantage of aires, something that people like you conveniently forget!

And as for moaning, you really need to read some of your posts! You could give lessons.

Ps The couple of 'vans at a borne took almost half an hour to fill up, empty their waste and flush the chemical loo. Damn good job I wasn't in a hurry for a ferry. On a site I I can top up every day without moving the motorhome. Very convenient.

In the past I've seen others waiting far longer than that, as half a dozen 'vans queue up at the borne in the morning when most people leave. Still, aires are cheap or free, so some of you will put up with anything I suppose if it saves a few bob.

You really couldn't make it up........................coming from you staying at Cite Europe on a regular basis, what a laugh. Its you that needs to keep up, or is dementia kicking in.

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2014-09-29 7:42 PM

Had Enough - 2014-09-29 4:39 PM

You really couldn't make it up........................coming from you staying at Cite Europe on a regular basis, what a laugh. Its you that needs to keep up, or is dementia kicking in.

I stay at Cite Europe because it's very close to the tunnel. I stay on motorway picnic aires when in transit because they're brilliant for an overnight stop but I much prefer sites when I'm staying around for a day or two and, unlike you, am happy to pay for them, just as I'm happy to pay tolls.

You also appear to be the nervous type who worries to death about silly little incidents that mean nothing and are easy to overcome, I'm happy to evaluate minuscule risks and stay with the dozens of others who happily use Cite Europe every week.

I note that you're also scared of motorway picnic aires, which are perfect for overnighting if chosen intelligently. Ooops, just realised the problem you might have. (lol) (lol)

Trust me pal the ONLY thing that worries me is meeting up with people like you, choosing with intelligence indeed, you haven't even got the intelligence to work out the best time of day to use a borne, or you've left attending to your own services so late with a full bog you had no alternative to wait, getting all steamed up in the process and sharing your frustration with us all.

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2014-09-30 6:41 AM

Trust me pal the ONLY thing that worries me is meeting up with people like you, choosing with intelligence indeed, you haven't even got the intelligence to work out the best time of day to use a borne, or you've left attending to your own services so late with a full bog you had no alternative to wait, getting all steamed up in the process and sharing your frustration with us all.

Of course you've never shared your frustration with anyone on here have you? Especially about motorhoming in the U.K. God forbid that you would ever moan! ;-)

But pray tell, when is the best time to use a borne? The incident in Germany was mid-afternoon. I've been kept waiting for ages at bornes at all times of the morning and even in the evening when I've just arrived. The equation is very simple to understand, even for someone like you - 65 vans and one filling point. On some aires more vans and on some less. And in Germany the borne was quite a way from the stellplatz so I couldn't see if there was a queue until I drove up there.

But you've done us all a great service in warning us that on an aire you can't fill up your water just when you want to, as you can on a site. As you point out you have to choose the best time of day, whenever that is? The problem is that sometimes you don't have a choice about the time that you have to fill up.

But thanks for warning us anyway. One more reason not to be tight and to use a decent municipal if there's one handy.

And before you come back with the obvious, yes I'll use Cite Europe and motorway picnic aires but only for a night halt and where getting water isn't necessary. Although on some picnic aires you can also get water, which is a bonus. Still, you're too nervous for those. I'd forgotten about your worrying.

I note that the CMC was up early this morning, have you had a committee meeting?

Ps In Cologne my bog was only a third full but I needed water and to dump my waste. Wrong again eh? *-) And most days I was out all day in town, this being my one free afternoon which I thought would be a good opportunity to fill up. But it was an aire, so no such luck. :-(

I think it's time that you gave up and just admitted that this borne problem is common with aires. (lol)

Frank, yes you are right you do sometimes have to wait to do your services at an aire borne, but you also sometimes have to wait to book in at a campsite or buy your groceries at Waitrose but that does not mean these are places to avoid. Sorry you seem to have been unlucky getting behind someone who seems to enjoy using the borne, it does happen, but in our experience, and as you know we are avid Aires users(!), it's not as bad as you imply and should not put newcomers off using Aires.

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2014-09-30 3:20 PM

Frank, yes you are right you do sometimes have to wait to do your services at an aire borne, but you also sometimes have to wait to book in at a campsite or buy your groceries at Waitrose but that does not mean these are places to avoid. Sorry you seem to have been unlucky getting behind someone who seems to enjoy using the borne, it does happen, but in our experience, and as you know we are avid Aires users(!), it's not as bad as you imply and should not put newcomers off using Aires.

Don't worry, I'm just winding up One-Foot-in-His-Mouth. I've used some very nice aires and haven't had to wait at bornes but on the larger ones it can be a problem now and then.

But anyway, on a more serious note, do you really expect us to believe that you aires users shop at Waitrose? I would have thought that you'd be Lidl fans. ;-)

Had Enough - 2014-09-30 3:46 PM

robertandjean - 2014-09-30 3:20 PM

Don't worry, I'm just winding up One-Foot-in-His-Mouth. I've used some very nice aires and haven't had to wait at bornes but on the larger ones it can be a problem now and then.

The French can be unbelievably slow at servicing had one last week after he had finished filling up got his brush and started cleaning the screen and front of the van and the misses started cleaning the carpets, I drove right up to the back off there van and revved the engine a couple of times, had the desired effect and not quite as rude as using the horn.

But anyway, on a more serious note, do you really expect us to believe that you aires users shop at Waitrose? I would have thought that you'd be Lidl fans. ;-)

Don't be silly we use Aldi :D :D

Sorry to shatter another one of HE's assumptions, but we are now parked up for the night on the lovely Baie De Somme aire for the night, zero queue for the borne, and not a Lidls in site, oh bugger I've strayed on to the Peage section again, never mind, perhaps he can lend me the 12 Euros in the morning as he is a man of means.

Guest pelmetman

Got home today :'(..................Stayed at Equihen Plage last night, went to city de europe this morning, hardly any migrants anywhere, the security staff seem to have upped their game :-|................

See they've started pruning all the low branches from the shrubbery, presumably so people hiding in there are more noticeable :-S..............

Archived