Eurotoll - Anyone got it?

Guest Had Enough

Guest Had Enough

I currently have a Sanef transponder, a wonderful little device on my windscreen that lets me sail through French toll barriers without stopping. Once a month the company debits my bank account with the previous month's tolls. The toll charges are the same and there's a five Euro a month charge for each month in which it's used. We think it's worth every penny to save struggling with credit cards and waiting in long queues whilst a tourist in front takes ages trying to work it out.

However, the system is only available for Class 1 and Class 2 vehicles and I'm about to buy a Class 3 motorhome, so it's either back to the old method of credit cards payment at each toll booth or signing up for the Eurotoll equivalent, which is designed for larger vehicles.

The Eurotoll website isn't exactly user friendly and as yet I haven't been able to find out the extra costs involved over and above the normal toll charges.

Has any member any experience of Eurotoll and it's add-on costs?

Finally, I'll be obliged if this isn't turned into a 'We've never used tolls in our life and much prefer wandering through the bucolic villages of northern France' argument. Many of us do want to use motorways and are happy to pay tolls.

Thanks.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
I doubt it..Most of us avoid tolls as much as possible only paying for a few real time saving sections, when necessary. Not a dig but are you sure you cant find a van within 3500kg...lots of lighter built vans around these day, easier to live with as well, especially if no spring chicken :-D

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-09-29 10:44 AM

I doubt it..Most of us avoid tolls as much as possible only paying for a few real time saving sections, when necessary. Not a dig but are you sure you cant find a van within 3500kg...lots of lighter built vans around these day, easier to live with as well, especially if no spring chicken :-D

I'm not sure how you know that 'most of us' don't use tolls as my reading of this forum tells me that many do. Also, if you did use toll motorways you may be surprised at the number of motorhomes that you'll see travelling on them.

And no, I can't find a 'van that I want with the payload and space that I need that comes in under 3500 kg. If I could I wouldn't be buying an expensive A Class.

Perhaps you've also noticed how many other people also drive motorhomes that are over 3500 kg? There are thousands of them and they do it for good reason having carefully weighed up their options.

But please, let's not let this thread develop into an argument about whether or not we should use tolls. If I'm going to the Med or to Spain I want to travel through France in the same relaxing way that I do in the UK, by cruising down the motorway. That's my privilege. If you don't want to pay tolls that's your privilege and who am I or anyone else to argue?

Had Enough - 2014-09-29 11:15 AM

.....But please, let's not let this thread develop into an argument about whether or not we should use tolls. If I'm going to the Med or to Spain I want to travel through France in the same relaxing way that I do in the UK, by cruising down the motorway. That's my privilege. If you don't want to pay tolls that's your privilege and who am I or anyone else to argue?

Couldn't agree more. I try to avoid using toll roads most of the time when we're simply cruising around in order to enjoy the countryside and villages but I wouldn't dream of telling anyone who uses them for transits journeys and doesn't moan about paying that they are wrong.

I ended up (in a MH over 3,500kg) having to buy a transit box when i overshot a turning at the last exit before Austria and although it worked smoothly it was a terrible inconvenience trying to find somewhere to cash it in as we left. We ended up being able to do it at a German motorway services about 100 km outside Austria but couldn't find anywhere in Austria at all. I'm afarid this rather put me off getting tangled up with using the things.

For a more typical French holiday, we might usually only spend under 20€ on tolls in total, so i suspect that despite the convenience of these payment transponders once you've got one, I'll carry on struggling with the payment machines instead. For our MH the payment slot for car drivers is just too low and the lorry one just too high so it requires unbuckling and contortionism every time but I am getting the hang of it and the exercise is probably good for me!

Used the sanef for the first time on the MH last month. I got it really as my wife just cannot reach the upper or lower card slots and had a real struggle.

The catch is that my MH is marginally over 3m, so we sail through the toll entrance, and then carefully rehearse "nous sommes une camping-car anglaise, moins de trois metres" for the exit.

The light goes green, and off we go.

My son did the same in August, and all the tolls came in at class 2.

No doubt some of you will be horrified at cheating the French company out of money over 5cm height difference, but when you see my electricity bill from another French company you may have some sympathy.

They aren't going to hold up the queue to measure your van or weigh it are they?

"Je suis classe deux" could save you several hundred euros.

Had Enough - 2014-09-29 11:15 AM

JudgeMental - 2014-09-29 10:44 AM

I want to travel through France in the same relaxing way that I do in the UK, by cruising down the motorway.

I think you should let us all know exactly which UK motorways are relaxing to drive, I've yet to find one.,

Guest Had Enough
KeithR - 2014-09-29 2:38 PM

are there seperate lanes for these transponders??

they sound useful, we too struggle at the toll booths, but i dont use payages very often.

do they have to be used regularly, or can you just use them occasionally? do they have a lifespan?

There are separate lanes and often when there's been a long queue at the normal booths we've sailed through the special ones. There are now lanes which you can approach at 30 kph and not slow down from that. The barrier opens up very quickly.

It's easy to get one but there is an initial setting up cost. of around £32 but half of that is the deposit on the transponder, which is refundable when you return it.

You can use them as little as you like but there's a five Euro handling fee for each calendar month that you use it. But if for instance your holiday extends for a couple of days into a new month you could leave it in the glove box and use your credit card for that couple of days and save the €5 charge.

It sticks on your windscreen and is brilliant. It's recognised by the toll booth and there's a bleep and up goes the barrier.

You will be invoiced by email on the 15th of the next month and your bank account debited two weeks later. I've found the company to be very reliable.and UK clients deal with an office in Harrogate.

In theory the transponder lasts for ever but it has a small battery which may need changing every three years.

It's all here https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/what-is-liber-t

Had Enough - 2014-09-29 3:07 PM

You can use them as little as you like but there's a five Euro handling fee for each calendar month that you use it.

Just a small correction: the maximum monthly use fee is Euro 10 per year.

In addition to the Subscription Fees, Subscribers must pay a monthly service fee of 5€ + TVA for each calendar month in which the Subscriber uses the Liber-T System up to a maximum fee of 10€ + TVA per year per Tag

Guest Had Enough
Steve928 - 2014-09-29 3:17 PM

Had Enough - 2014-09-29 3:07 PM

You can use them as little as you like but there's a five Euro handling fee for each calendar month that you use it.

Just a small correction: the maximum monthly use fee is Euro 10 per year.

In addition to the Subscription Fees, Subscribers must pay a monthly service fee of 5€ + TVA for each calendar month in which the Subscriber uses the Liber-T System up to a maximum fee of 10€ + TVA per year per Tag

Yes, you're right and I'd forgotten that detail. We used ours in January and February on our Morocco trip, in May and June and again in August in various parts of France, so five calendar months in total, but we were only charged for the first two months and after that it was just the toll charges.

Guest Had Enough
Muswell - 2014-09-29 4:10 PM

And you can switch between vehicles, so my daughter uses it too.

My wife thinks it is brilliant :-D

Mine too. It's often the wives who have to struggle with the credit card payment and you can occasionally find that the slot is too low for a highish vehicle, or I've not driven close enough to the machine so she has to open the door to make the payment.

Manned ones fine but they are fewer than the self-service ones.

I shall miss my Sanef transponder but if the Eurotoll isn't suitable at least my next 'van will be LHD so I'll have to do all the paying, which will please her no end! (lol)

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-09-29 4:45 PM

Really......at speed? :D

Rumour has it that the first one is One-Foot-in-His-Mouth who almost had a stroke when he realised he'd accidentally strayed on to a toll motorway and tried to dodge payment by sailing over the barrier. ;-)

Had Enough - 2014-09-29 5:03 PM

Rumour has it that the first one is One-Foot-in-His-Mouth who almost had a stroke when he realised he'd accidentally strayed on to a toll motorway and tried to dodge payment by sailing over the barrier. ;-)

10/10 :-D :-D :-D

Had Enough - 2014-09-29 5:03 PM

No it wasn't me, I always reverse up the hard shoulder to the previous exit.

I borrowed a Sanef tag this year from my Dad.

My mh is just over 3m and max weight 3850 kg.

We, or should I my Dad got charged class 2 for all the tolls we used as it does not work with class 3.

It was a complete oversight and neither of us knew it would happen.

Needless to say I suffer from sleepless nights still worrying, about owing the French motorway network money.

I just need to remember to say no to my Dad next time he offers.

Guest Had Enough
Wasn't Me - 2014-09-29 7:57 PM

We, or should I my Dad got charged class 2 for all the tolls we used as it does not work with class 3.

Needless to say I suffer from sleepless nights still worrying, about owing the French motorway network money.

If you're happy to cheat that's up to you but one day you'll come to a toll with sensors for weight and height and the barrier won't open. You'll have to reverse out of the lane and pray that there aren't three other people behind you. Your father may then have his transponder cancelled for using a heavier or higher 'van than allowed.

Had Enough - 2014-09-29 10:33 PM

Wasn't Me - 2014-09-29 7:57 PM

If you're happy to cheat that's up to you but one day you'll come to a toll with sensors for weight and height and the barrier won't open. You'll have to reverse out of the lane and pray that there aren't three other people behind you. Your father may then have his transponder cancelled for using a heavier or higher 'van than allowed.

Happy to cheat ? ... Read his post he said it was an oversight ...

Guest Had Enough
antony1969 - 2014-09-30 6:40 AM

So when he said this: 'Needless to say I suffer from sleepless nights still worrying, about owing the French motorway network money. I just need to remember to say no to my Dad next time he offers.' you thought he was being serious?

God protect us from the Chatterbollox Morons' Club.

Had Enough - 2014-09-30 7:59 AM

antony1969 - 2014-09-30 6:40 AM

So when he said this: 'Needless to say I suffer from sleepless nights still worrying, about owing the French motorway network money. I just need to remember to say no to my Dad next time he offers.' you thought he was being serious?

God protect us from the Chatterbollox Morons' Club.

We'll he says it was an oversight in his original post and then again after you accuse him of cheating ... I have no reason not to believe him ... But of course as usual you know best Frank ... And for once it may be nice not to have any name calling please

Guest Had Enough
antony1969 - 2014-09-30 8:26 AM

We'll he says it was an oversight in his original post and then again after you accuse him of cheating ... I have no reason not to believe him ... But of course as usual you know best Frank ... And for once it may be nice not to have any name calling please

There are times when I worry about you. I didn't accuse him of cheating. His rather sarcastic post including the bit about not sleeping because he was worried about owing money to the French proved that he clearly wasn't bothered about the fact that he'd used the transponder illegally. That was obvious to anyone with an IQ of 80 or more.

What I did was to suggest that if he was happy to carry on using it he would be cheating and I told him of the consequences.

This is what I wrote: 'If you're happy to cheat that's up to you but one day you'll come to a toll with sensors for weight and height and the barrier won't open. You'll have to reverse out of the lane and pray that there aren't three other people behind you. Your father may then have his transponder cancelled for using a heavier or higher 'van than allowed.'

It's obvious that was about future behaviour. And yes, after my post he then came back and said how it was all a big mistake, but only when he'd had time to think about it and realise that boasting about cheating, albeit accidentally, wasn't a good thing.

You really should try to read posts more carefully.

And as for insults, they'll stop when you grow up and stop taking every opportunity to have a snide pop at people just because ages ago you've clashed swords with them. Judge had the same problem with you when you just couldn't resist continually making nasty little comments about ebikes, often in threads that had nothing to do with them.

I know that Chatterbollox is boring now, which is why you keep popping up here to spread your poison, but that's the fault of you and the other members of the CMC who have destroyed it with your bigoted inanities.

So do us all a favour, stop the sniping and I'll stop insulting you.

Archived