inverter

Forester

Installing any inverter with the power necessary to run a microwave is not a job to be taken lightly. You would require at least 750w to power a microwave and probably 1000w to give you a little extra capacity. In order to run this you'll need some pretty hefty cabling between the battery(ies) and the inverter. By all means, attempt this yourself, but get all the gen as suggested, as a poorly fitted inverter of this size can be quite a nasty beast! (In fact, most inverters are pretty nasty beasts! Not a fan.....prefer a wee genny.) Jimmy

I agree that you will flatten the battery in no time if you try to run a microwave off it. Beware that when a microwave is described as eg "800-watt" that refers to the magnetron's output, NOT to the power consumption. To find the power consumption, look at the plate on the back - it will be more like 1300w. My take on the generator issue is carry one but, if you are on a site with hookup, then use that; if you are wild-camped in the middle of nowhere who is your genny noise going to annoy?

[QUOTE]Forester - 2006-09-25 7:46 AM

Goodmorning Mom.

I do belive there is one called "Kipor camping mate" that is very quiet. Yes I agree with you about other campers and I would't like to hear it all night myself.

Wayne. 

[/QUOTE] Even the 'Quiet' ones aren't really all that quiet. However, as stated, this is of little consequence in many situations. They are quiet enough. I bought a wee two stroke Gennie online for £60 which putts away nicely and is able to run most things in the van. It's as quiet as the really 'quiet' ones and costs a fraction as much. Reason for this is that the expensive ones put out a much cleaner and better regulated output. This may be important to some, but doesn't seem to cause us any problems. Going back to the origional post, it hadn't occurred to me that this wee 8" TV may be 12v! If so, then things could be a lot simpler.... Jimmy

Archived