Hymer Exsis I 562 questions (newbie)

Barryrj

Hi everyone, I am new to motorhomes and have just bought a 2008 Hymer Exsis I 562. Could I ask those with this motorhome how the ladder fits to the drop down bed? I have paperwork that states the bed must not be used without the ladder in position. The diagrams appear to show a ladder that hooks from behind the handle on the front of the bed and also supports the bed. However the ladder that I have can only be hooked on the front of the handle and does not even reach the floor, let alone support the bed. Without reaching the floor it is not safe to climb. I suspect the wrong ladder came with the vehicle but I cannot understand why this would be! The bed cannot go any lower. The ladder I have is wooden with 3 rungs and is 105 cm long (just over 41 inches). It has simple hooks formed in the wood. Any advise would be appreciated. Many thanks, Barry.

I don't know the Exsis that well but I assume the front seats back squab fold down. My Hymer drop down bed is just under 3' from the floor with the driver and passenger seats folded down so your ladder will fit mine.

Have you a manual and if so, have you checked you are following the correct procedures?

Sorry to be so obvious but better to start there. More expert people will be along soon!

Thanks for your response. Good questions. Yes the seat backs are lowered and the bed is clear of them. I have double checked this morning and the bed is down as far as it can go. There are rubber stops built into the mechanism which stops it lowering any further. This bottom edge of the bed is indeed 3 ft from the floor, but the handle, where the ladder supposed to hook on, is 42inches from the floor and the ladder is only just over 41inches in total length. The bed is just a couple of inches above the dash so I believe it is in the right position.

Yes I have a manual but it shows a slightly different configuration for the bed with ladder stowage in the bed, which mine does not have, and a safety net and retaining straps which mine does not have. It maybe that it's simply the wrong ladder but I though I would ask in case (read, more than likely) I am doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Barry.

Brock - 2014-10-01 11:11 PM

I don't know the Exsis that well but I assume the front seats back squab fold down. My Hymer drop down bed is just under 3' from the floor with the driver and passenger seats folded down so your ladder will fit mine.

Have you a manual and if so, have you checked you are following the correct procedures?

Sorry to be so obvious but better to start there. More expert people will be along soon!

John, your van is fairly new and since the last update with the more upright front end (2012?) the beds come down much lower, Barry's is the older Ford based Exsis.

Barry, if you have the option to convert the rear twin beds into a double you should have a ladder for this as well. Although both ladders look the same both 3 rung ladders I suspect the dimensions are slightly different, I wonder if you are using the rear ladder on the front bed. Was the van supplied with a ladder missing?

Normally the ladder does not form any part of the bed support it is only for personal safety accessing the bed, my Exsis did not even come with a ladder.

A YouTube video that shows both ladders.

Edit:

Photo here of a 2010 model that has a different front ladder, and it is clear it does not have any function in supporting the bed.

Hi Lenny, Thanks, you have hit the nail on the head. After looking at the video I do not have the ladder for the drop down bed. I mistakenly thought the one ladder supplied did both jobs. Question answered but where do I get a ladder from? Anyone got spare?

Thanks again, Barry.

PS. I bought the vehicle privately so it's my problem.

I'm on my third A class {Arto and 2 Hymers} and have never noticed the beds drop down to a different level! You learn something new everyday. I have noticed the bed shape of the Arto and my current Hymer are the same so I do have my eyes open sometimes.

My current van doesn't even have a ladder. I know a ladder is an optional extra on my model, available from my dealer [who has been unable to source Hymer external insulation mats for me]. However, I've never used one in the past so it just takes up unnecessary space.

I hope Barry sorts out his ladder and gets stuck into some serious motorhoming.

Barryrj - 2014-10-02 9:58 AM

Lenny, I forgot the mention, the literature states that you must use the ladder but only when the bed is in the extended position as it supports the bed. Thanks, Barry.

Extended position? Don't get that surly an A class bed is either up or down. I would email Hymer there is a contact page on their website.

Have you tried contacting the previous owner may have it in their garage or loft, first thing I did when I got my van was to remove the safety netting from both beds & put in loft anything to give more payload.

Hymer could possibly supply a ladder, but I expect the cost would be horrendous, you could make one I made one once for a caravan & my chippying skills aren't that good, you have the advantage of having a pattern just need to make the sides a bit longer and trim to suit. Failing that you should be able to find a local chippy that could do it for a modest cost.

Brock - 2014-10-02 10:13 AM

My current van doesn't even have a ladder. I know a ladder is an optional extra on my model, available from my dealer [who has been unable to source Hymer external insulation mats for me].

I take it you mean external screen, well, that's what you get for buying from a British dealer. (lol)

What you mean is he can't be bothered as it's a standard Hymer part he has only got to order it. If you want to order from a UK dealer try contacting Chris at Priemier Motorhomes Chichester Tel: 01243 210030.

Or try emailing a few German dealers probably find them in stock will give you a discount and at current exchange rate could get a bargain.

Edit:

If you talk to Chris ask him what that stupid metal key is for (I think it may be to do with gas regulator)

Barryrj - 2014-10-02 8:54 AM

This bottom edge of the bed is indeed 3 ft from the floor, but the handle, where the ladder supposed to hook on, is 42inches from the floor and the ladder is only just over 41inches in total length.

Barry.

Sounds like you need to glue two 1 inch blocks to the bottom of the ladder.

Yes the pull down bed also pulls out when it's in the down position and there is another single size mattress supplied making it into a massive double/triple bed. It's in this situation you need the support of the ladder. You are right in that I should contact the previous owned just in case he forgot to give it to me. Having said that he did supply all the other parts he had stored in his house so I don't think he would have forgot this ladder if he had it. Worth the question though. Another good suggestion re making it myself as I am sure you are right about the price from Hymer. I am a practical type of person so it's well within my capability. Also one of my sons is a carpenter! Even better! You have been a great help Lenny. Many thanks, Barry.

The overcab bed ladder has a hook type profile to support the bed. If you have the skills just trace around the profile,when you can find one to borrow!

Where are you PM me and if its close You can come and have a look and trace mine.

Archived