Auto Trail

Pete-B

Hi, weve been looking at the new Autotrail Imala 615 today at the Malvern show. I've got no experience of Autotrail at all but this looks to be quite good. Just wondered what sort of feedback this company gets and what other people think of this model.

Thanks for any comments.

Auto Trail used to be one of the better makes both in terms of build quality and after sales support and when we had out first 2006 used one in 2008 that was certainly true.

However by the time we had our second 2010 used in 2012 I was not so impressed with the build quality although I had no need of service from the factory so cannot comment.

Recent posts on here seem to suggest that there are some very unhappy bunnies with Autotrails - but what we don't know is how many very happy bunnies there are because we only see the problem vans high lighted on here?

I guess you pays yer money and takes yer chances with any modern complex and expensive Motorhome and getting a good trustworthy and reliable dealer is probably as important as getting the right make of van?

I would agree with Tracker, the 'Imala' is a new 'Range' this year, and I'm not sure where 'Budget' wise it 'sits' in the Autotrail line up ? There is the 'Tracker' range, The 'Apache' and the 'Frontier'

cheaper through to most expensive. Owning a 'Savannah' in the Frontier range i am not 'overly impressed' with the Build quality and detail finish, although we love the layout, (we have been away in ours for 4 months this year). They seem to have let the 'quality' slip since about 2007/8. A friend has a 'Tracker' of that year, and it is 'streets ahead' in quality compared to ours.

If Autocruise were still in production (and NOT run by Swift) and making Coachbuilts I would have bought one of those (an Augusta) in a Flash, as my previous van, a Starlet 2 was very well put together.

My advice look beyond the 'Gizmo packages' and take a close look at how the interior is put together, sawdust in cupboards, bits of stripped wire etc., SHOULD NOT be present. Ray

a couple of years ago i worked part time as a casual driver for a major motorhome dealer, and made too many trips to grimsby to take/collect new vehicles with problems. the worst had 30 faults!! a new one i went to pick up for a customer had the status aerial hanging over the side??? how could they not see it??? because of this i did a quick check and found 4 other faults!!! left the vehicle there, obviously.

i wouldnt buy one, lovely as they look.

We own an Autotrail Tracker RS new March 2013 yes we have had a few teething problems mostly which I sorted out myself , one major problem was the Dometic Fridge (not built by Autotrail ) fixed after "5" home visits , last week the reversing camera stopped working , and as I just happened to be passing the factory on my way back home I got it checked by the factory fitter and problem diagnosed , which Marquis will sort out when the new camera kit arrives. Before we owned the AT we had an Autosleeper Nuevo II EK which was of the same build quality , but had a lot more problems which needed fixing. Unfortunately I am having to sell the Autotrail due to serious back problems and give up motorhoming  which is a pity as we have had some really great times during the past 8 years of owning a motorhome, so if there is anyone wanting a 1st class mint cond mororhome complete with all the extra's you will ever need I know where there is one at a bargain price .

KeithR - 2014-10-03 8:50 PM

a couple of years ago i worked part time as a casual driver for a major motorhome dealer, and made too many trips to grimsby to take/collect new vehicles with problems. the worst had 30 faults!! a new one i went to pick up for a customer had the status aerial hanging over the side??? how could they not see it??? because of this i did a quick check and found 4 other faults!!! left the vehicle there, obviously.

Couldn't agree more. When you buy a new one you get an Umbrella free gift, they should also include a top of the range DAMP METER to go with it.

Maybe these latest 2015 offerings are an improvement on the previous models. Anyone who is interested in the budget models need to bear in mind that there isn't any water tank or pipe insulation underneath just the bare necessities.

I have previously owned 2 brand new AutoTrails on the x250 chassis and both suffered with serious water ingress problems.

Usually when a manufacturer improves their habitation build quality, as Swift and Elddis have done they make an announcement to the fact. Will AutoTrail be announcing any production line improvements.

KeithR - 2014-10-03 8:50 PM

Couldn't agree more. When you buy a new one you get an Umbrella free gift, they should also include a top of the range DAMP METER to go with it.

Maybe these latest 2015 offerings are an improvement on the previous models. Anyone who is interested in the budget models need to bear in mind that there isn't any water tank or pipe insulation underneath just the bare necessities.

I have previously owned 2 brand new AutoTrails on the x250 chassis and both suffered with serious water ingress problems.

Usually when a manufacturer improves their habitation build quality, as Swift and Elddis have done they make an announcement to the fact. Will AutoTrail be announcing any production line improvements.

I agree with rayjsi i think the build quality deteriorated about six years ago have had a new apache and also two frontiers a cheyanne and an arapaho and i definately had better quality in the frontier , and the older van seemed more solidly built : but still good vans and pleasant to look at :pp:).... And theres plenty on the road so they must be doing something right : pp

We are about to downsize to a PVC, British you understand none of that contental rubish for us, but I can confirm that apart from the stupid drop down entertainment system our 2011 Apache has been virtually trouble free. Incidently the drop down system on all new builds now uses a proper Avtex TV and separate radio. A long overdue change which should fix that problem!

Recently did the factory tour at Auto-Trail to try and access the build quality. There is no doubt that they are well put together and very attractive and comfortable motorhomes but for me they have just not moved with the times. I was astonished at the amount of timber that they still use in the build. This timber being used as a means of connecting the various components together via screws. A small amount of water ingress becomes a major problem as the damp timber immediately expands and opens up the seam. Other UK and European manufacturers have introduced systems which utilise materials that do not degrade should moisture penetration occur. I personally wouldn't buy an AutoTrail CB until they have made this necessary move.

We are on our fifth Autotrail and in our experience the build quality has improved each time. The last two have been Tracker EKS models with virtually no faults. Ok we still get sawdust on the worktop but everything works and has done with no problems and l think when you compare Autotrail with any other models UK and foreign you get what you pay for. Autotrail are very competitive in price and fixtures and fittings are good quality. Autotrail are also leading edge technically and equipment changes fast nowadays. I am not sure why the Imala range has been brought in but it is a lower cost van using technology from the previous Tracker/Cheyenne range and I have only seen three of the models but they look good, well finished off with proven technology and on the latest Fiat.

If you look at MMM and Practical Motorhome surveys Autotrail do quite well. But one suggestion is that you make sure you research your dealer because although the Autotrail warranty is pretty good (now with many others it has a 10 water ingress warranty) it is your dealer who will have to put things right if anything does go wrong. Using a dealer near to where you live makes a lot of sense.

We have a 2012 AT Scout and very pleased with both the layout and overall build quality. We've had the usual teething problems but these we all down to either Fiat or third party equipment providers.

I would like to see AT move away from using timber though as pointed out above it's inherently flawed as a suitable material in motorhome construction.

Also suggest that choice of dealer is almost as important as manufacturer. We purchased from Premier and no problems at all with their level of service.

Sydney1 - 2014-10-05 6:28 PM

We have a 2012 AT Scout and very pleased with both the layout and overall build quality. We've had the usual teething problems but these we all down to either Fiat or third party equipment providers.

I would like to see AT move away from using timber though as pointed out above it's inherently flawed as a suitable material in motorhome construction.

Also suggest that choice of dealer is almost as important as manufacturer. We purchased from Premier and no problems at all with their level of service.

The good thing about Autotrail's is that 10 year water ingress warranty ! make sure you get your dealer to service it as per. Autotrails instructions to maintain it. And in later years it is only a % of the repair costs. On balance though....we like our Autotrail, we love the layout, we couldn't find a 'Foreign' layout that suited us, most of the beds required some degree of climbing ability (which we don't have) and most interiors were obstructed with a huge fixed table (which we would hardly ever use). And an dangerous Oven that again required climbing ability. AND it isn't a matter of costs.... some of the most expensive : Carthago etc., were the worst. They may be well built, but the layouts and level of kit are useless. (IMHO). Ray

I'd agree with posts above that Autotrail have some nice, typically-British, layouts and some pretty designs, but in my opinion the method of construction is outdated and they really do need to come into the modern age. There really shouldn't be a place in this day and age for motorhomes built using the traditional caravan method of outer skin (be it alu or GRP), wooden framing and vinyl-covered wallboard with exposed underbody constructions (gas lockers, garages, battery compartments etc.) in painted plywood.

If I was spending new motorhome kind of money I'd look past the pleasant interior detailing and insist on a wood-free construction using fully-bonded one piece panels (wall and roof) construction such as Hymer's PUAL and similar but unnamed offerings from Adria, Carthago, Bailey (yes, there is a British manufacturer in there..), Frankia and many others.

If water can get into a wall or roof panel it will, and a 10, 20 or even 30 year warranty wouldn't sway me; I'd rather have a van that didn't need a water ingress warranty at all.

Just before we made the sign on the dotted line decision to buy the Bailey, a beautiful Autotrail came in at the Dealership as a part ex.

It was only 6 months old and had been traded by a caravanner who had just made a very expensive mistake

Anyway we decided to ahead with the Bailey, upon collecting it we saw the autotrail still for sale, I expressed my surprise at it still being on sale, our salesman said yes it'll be there a lot longer too, it's registering 90% damp.

I dont pretend for a second to interpret that as the van was 90% damp but whatever the readings were showing, it didn't sound too good for a 6 months old van.

Martyn

Tracker - 2014-10-04 8:57 PM

We still have the umbrella from our first Autotrail and it works fine but where we go on holiday it rarely rains so it's had no use!

When we bought our present AutoTrail we pointed out that two of us would be using it and insisted on and got Two umbrellas. Both still working fine.

Guest pelmetman

We still have the umbrella from our first Autotrail and it works fine but where we go on holiday it rarely rains so it's had no use!

Free umbrellas :-S......................Do they leak that much? :D.............

We bought a new Autotrail budget model 4 years ago. We had one teething problem but Autotrail had the van back 3 times and sorted it (it took a couple of attempts and they asked us to go away and try it each time).

Both our dealer and Autotrail were superb in terms of customer service, we were never made to feel we were being a pain keep coming back they just wanted us to be satisfied. Very impressed with the way they deal with problems - but even after 3 visits we only got 1 umbrella!

pelmetman - 2014-10-07 3:42 PM

Free umbrellas :-S......................Do they leak that much? :D.............

From all the reports I've seen on leaky Autotrails I think it's a bit mean not to pass on the brolly to the next owner. (lol)

Tracker - 2014-10-07 4:43 PM

Joe90 - 2014-10-07 3:37 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-10-04 10:35 PM

Spot the brain cell (^)

Why, have you lost it.

He can't lose what he never had!

Now now.........

Archived