Chausson Allegro reversing camera existing wiring

jamest

Hi,

We recently picked up our new motorhome a Chausson Allegro 94. I am about to install a reversing camera and noticed there is wiring in a rear cupboard and a hole pre-cut to the other skin ready for a camera.

Problem is I can't find the other end in the cab. Does anyone have any idea where the cables come out at the front end of the van? I assumed it would be behind the stereo but I can't see anything.

Tried tracing the wires but theres too many going into various ducting.

Hope someone can help, be nice not to have to run my own wires!

James

Hi..

This probably won't be a great deal of use(as I've never had a 'camera) but is there no sign of any dangling/spare leads elsewhere, towards the edges of the dash or maybe behind the side, screen pillar covers?(..as maybe the previous owner retained the section of lead, that led to/into the monitor?...Just a Thought....

Happy rummaging...

(..and don't forget that, when you're skinning your knuckles and getting cramp from contorting yourself into the foot well, you ARE having fun! (lol) )

hehe thanks, i'm sure in retrospect it will be 'fun' B-)

It's all rather neat behind the stereo unit etc, I just got it out again just in case I missed it, but there is nothing loose. I didn't think to look around the pillars actually so will see if they come off relatively simply.

There is a random section of lead in the glove box that I think I read somewhere (not in the manuals mind you) allows the tv point to connect to the speakers in the cab area, I suspect the lead is for that rather than the camera, but I would be able to confirm that if only I could find where I am supposed to plug that in! Why can't they have put this in the manual! *-)

We had a 2008 Allegro 83(on a Renault )and there was a nest of , "original looking" red/yellow/white ended (TV/audio?)cables under our passenger seat...but again it made no mention of them in our Chausson handbook...

We found it to be a really good van though, we had it 4 1/2 years and although it didn't clock up that many miles, it was used very regularly and throughout the year(long weekends, music festivals etc)and nothing failed or nor fell off! :-D

Thats good to hear! We only picked this up the other week, after looking at many many vans. We almost didn't bother looking at this one either as it was so far away but so glad we did. In comparison to all the others we seen this one is in very very good condition.

Just had all the floor panels up on the passenger side including the arch plastic covers - plenty of cables but none not connected to anything. I am truly stumped. The fittings in the rear fit into the camera I have so it must be there somewhere.

Again, just guessing but I would "assume" that they(the 'camera cables)would feed down from the top?..

...are there no overhead locker-backs or plastic panels/trim, that they may be coiled behind?

(..or from what you can see of them from the back, can they be seen to feed downward?..)

This forum has a manufacturer-specific section, so it may be worth asking on there?

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-102.html

If a reversing camera system is specified from new what are the monitor options? For example if the monitor is the type that fits over the rearview mirror the cables will come down from the cab headlining. Alternatively look at the other options regarding the positioning of the monitor.

Some reversing cameras connect to a control box. Typically this box is about the size of a pack of cigs and is often hidden away behind the glovebox. To complete the installation you may have to add something like a 4pin Mini Din cable between the control box and the monitor. So you may not be looking for trailing cables. The cable from the camera may be terminated in the control box.

Lots of "mays" here, sorry I don't have more specific information on your model. Have you tried sending an email to the factory?

Archived