Citroen Relay Water ingress problem

camperron

Hi, don't know if this has been covered before but hopefully someone can help. After a particularly heavy rainstorm my van has developed a strange electrical problem. with the engine and ignition turned off and the indicator stalk in the neutral position the front left indicator light remains on ( not flashing). If I open and close the doors and relock the van the light goes off for about 20 seconds then comes on again - strange becaus the igniton is switched off and the lights normally require iignition key in on position to work. It seems likely that ingress of rainwater is the likely culprit as the left headlight glass is fogged as well. At the moment my only solution is to remove the indicator bulb. Has anyone come across this problem and more importantly solved it? Also in respect of the fogged headlight lens will I need to replace the unit completely? Should have said its a Wildax Aurora on a 2007 Citroen Relay 2.2 HDI. Thanks in advance

I would agree, sounds like water in the works somewhere. Did your scuttle overflow ? these cabs have a problem common to all X250's , if the scuttle drains get blocked, with leaves or whatever then there is no-where for the water to go but under the bonnet, and into any exposed electrics or electronics, with potentionally very expensive consequences. Have you tried drying wiring out with a hair dryer ? only lightly, not hot enough to melt plastic. Also spraying the contacts with a 'Contact spray' might help and stop it from happening again. :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electrolube-Contact-Cleaner-EML200F-/281274290304?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Sounds expensive, but lasts for years. Ray

Sounds very much like a water ingress problem. Are you able to garage it at all for a few days or open the bonnet when sunny and hope it dries out a little?

It could also be a loose wire or a corroded earthing point. Contact spray is great, look for any connection that maybe corroded and clean them up with a piece of sandpaper or similar.

Guest Peter James

I have the same van.

Water dripping on the steering wheel from a leaky windscreen whilst the van is parked can do funny things.

On mine it set off the horn until it burned itself out.

I fixed the leak with bathroom silicone, replaced the horn, and have had no further problems. I did not do anything else. So it must have dried itself out.

Archived