satellite TV reception France

robertandjean

With change in footprint for Astra satellite wondered how far south in France would now be able to receive Tv with our 40cm maximise dome. Well answer seems to be that could watch all free channels, we have a freesat box, just south of Cahors. From then on have only picked up Sky news and pick tv. This is case right down to whe re we are now on aire at Palvas les Flots just south of Montpellier. A fellow Brit on aire with an Oyster dish and subscription Sky box is able to watch full range of channels. Not sure if down to his large dish or sky box or both.

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2014-10-05 7:19 PM

With change in footprint for Astra satellite wondered how far south in France would now be able to receive Tv with our 40cm maximise dome. Well answer seems to be that could watch all free channels, we have a freesat box, just south of Cahors. From then on have only picked up Sky news and pick tv. This is case right down to whe re we are now on aire at Palvas les Flots just south of Montpellier. A fellow Brit on aire with an Oyster dish and subscription Sky box is able to watch full range of channels. Not sure if down to his large dish or sky box or both.

I have a Trakvision dome which, although smaller they claim that it's the equivalent of a 40 cm dish or even a larger one.

We have noticed a worsening of signal strength as we get halfway down France and although a bit further south we can often can the usual channels they break up in bad weather.

My next 'van will have an 85 cm Oyster dish. I like the dome as it's unaffected by wind but the new footprint has made me rethink.

As you've found, Sky News is a very powerful programme and, even though we lose most others, we can get that much farther south. Eventually I switch to Astra 1 at 19 degrees or Hotbird and have received news channels (CNN etc.) on the edge of the Sahara in Morocco.

Your neighbour's greater success is down to his bigger dish, nothing to do with his choice of digibox.

We have given up with trying to get a signal on our satellite system in the south of france. We have a large 1M dish, but struggle to get a good signal. Having just spent 6 weeks down there with no tv, we found we didn't miss it at all. Unless you are addicted to Corry or 'Stenders, why bother having the satellite at all. Our system will soon be found on Ebay for sale.

I have the Snipe.

Astra 2 with all channels fine in Souillac in the Dordogne, 40 miles south it wouldn't lock on but I only tried it quickly at a lunch stop, didn't lock on around Millau.

Locked onto Astra 2 in La Garde-Adhemar in Provance, 38km north of Orange.

All main channels OK, More4 & BBC3 a bit pixely. Tried it the following morning when we had a bit of rain too pixely to watch, but once the rain stopped picture clear even with heavy cloud.

A few Km west of Murat in the Massif Central picture was perfect.

Cap d'Agde, Languedoc: Last year, 2013, everything.

2014: same pitch, same site; Sky, CNN etc., all day; channel 5 up to 4 pm only.

BBC 1, ITV, Ch. 4, etc., nothing, zilch.

85cm Fracarro Penta dish, Inverto Black LNB, Pace digibox.

derek500 - 2014-10-05 9:04 PM

We're currently in Aix-les-Bains and are receiving all the UK channels, even in heavy rain and thunderstorms.

We've got a Mecatronic 85cm with auto skew.

Now in the sosta in Susa , NW Italy, still get every channel. Hoping it will be the same when we get to the Ligurian coast.

derek500 - 2014-10-07 7:07 PM

derek500 - 2014-10-05 9:04 PM

We're currently in Aix-les-Bains and are receiving all the UK channels, even in heavy rain and thunderstorms.

We've got a Mecatronic 85cm with auto skew.

Now in the sosta in Susa , NW Italy, still get every channel. Hoping it will be the same when we get to the Ligurian coast.

Now in the sosta in Spotorno. All channels. Her indoors can watch the GBBO final!!

Archived