garmin

KeithR

ive lost my simplified instructions for downloading new maps to both my unit and SD cards. in all honesty i found it bothersome, and am now considering a new satnav. this will only be worthwhile if the internal memory is large enough to hold all europe, and be able to map a route from calais to the other end of europe. does anyone have, or know a new model that has such a memory? (?) (?)

My Garmin that is several years old has a slot for a 4Gigabyte small memory card and with this it holds all the data for the whole of Europe plus all the camp site locations that we have downloaded from Internet sites. Check to see if yours has a suitable slot for a memory card and re-download the software from the Garmin site as the download software is often updated.

It is tedious but effective.

Best of luck.

Have a look at units that use the Primo iGO8 mapping, I have it on my Clarion head unit, route planning is far better than either of the previous Garmins I've had (one less than a year old), both Western & Eastern Europe all on one SD card and goes seamlessly between countries.

Although the maps will fit on a 4gig card best to get a unit with an 8gig card if you want to load thousands of extra POI's.

You have to download Garmin Express first from their website. You have the choice of loading the maps on to Garmin and your PC or either.

I always download to both because I plan my routes using Mapsource or Basecamp for more accuracy. I travel alone and can plan the whole day's journey for perhaps 250 miles on the PC using waypoints. This route is then uploaded to the Garmin and is extremely accurate. This way I go the way I want to go, not the way the Garmin thinks I should go.

How long it takes depends on your connection speed.

Both my old Garmin and my new one works this way.

i have been using 4gb SD cards, but can only get a few countries , with routing, on each. what i am looking for is to have everything on the satnav, including the route from a to b, without having to change SD cards, or put in routing each day. i imagine the newer garmins (or other brands) have enough memort to do this. i did try to udate my maps using garmin express, but tmy nuvi 360 hasnt a very big memory, and i ' lost' where the comuter download went!!! one machine, one download, thats for me!!! :->

Archived