Ferry to Spain

Cliffy

We are positively definitely, certain we are going to Spain next year. I think :-S

Although I do like driving through France we thought that it would be an experience to go direct to Spain by ferry and drive back via the French Alps.

I have priced up a one way ticket with inside cabin for two @ £384.00. With Brittany Ferries in May 2015

Before I book it, I understand there was another company offering cheaper prices on this route, does anyone know if this is likely to be available next year?

When going through the booking form on line in the accomodation area it says "Deck Space compulsory". What does this mean? Is it that we will be paeked on deck, if so will we be able to leave the fridge on?

Any surgestions for other routes to Spain would be helpful. I know driving down is favoured by some, me included usually but this year it is not what we want to do.

Guest pelmetman

When are thinking of maybe positively going?...........Do you have sea legs?...........

The Bay of Biscuit can be uncomfortable ;-).............

pelmetman - 2014-10-06 10:35 PM

When are thinking of maybe positively going?...........Do you have sea legs?...........

The Bay of Biscuit can be uncomfortable ;-).............

I was an engineer in the merchant navy but that does not mean I am a stranger to yodeling down the old white telephone.

8o|

DFDS were the other company but they withdrew from the route in early September.

Deck space -on these ferries you have to book passenger accommodation and the cheapest option is 'deck space only available on some sailings. As with other channel car ferries the vehicle deck is locked during the crossing. There was a thread on this or another forum about leaving the gas on.

we did the trip in August from Plymouth on the Pont Aven, no rough crossing, we booked a cabin and glad we did as the deck seating area was very busy and later told by friend we did not get much sleep. Gas no checks were made or mentioned. I understand the Pont aven their newest ship is going out of service this month to have the engines modified to run to the new EU emission standards.

Guest Had Enough

We've done the Portsmouth/Plymouth-Santander route four times. Three times in summer when I've been lucky and survived by lying on my bed for the entire journey and eating sandwiches etc. that my wife would fetch from the restaurant. You'll gather I'm the world's worse sailor.

Three years ago we tried it in winter and it was awful. The weather was atrocious and I was sick for about twenty hours. The furniture in our cabin fell over, such was the roll of the ship.

We now drive and you may find our schedule interesting as it would be the same for you as you're also up north.

Ferry - Day one, drive to Portsmouth to overnight on the docks for the next morning's sailing at about 1100.

Day two, onboard,

Day 3 arrive at about noon in Santander.

Driving - Day one (an earlier start admittedly) drive to Folkestone for the tunnel. Take a train about 1700 and after arriving in France we get a few miles under our belt and overnight at the Aire de la Baie de la Somme. This is a motorway services but with a superb motorhome overnight parking area. It's at the end of a cul-de-sac, so no through traffic, is safe and away from the main parking area for lorries and cars. There's a motorhome borne where you can fill up with water and empty a cassette, but no grey water disposal. I just find a grid in the road and carefully drain it down there if necessary.

Day two, toll motorways as far as you can in a day. We normally aim for fifty miles north of Bordeaux and when we've had enough driving pull into one of two or three picnic aires that we've used many times in the past. We find them safe and have never had a problem as you're normally in the company of many others.

Day three - continue using toll motorways and drive to Palencia, where there's a very good aire, also with a borne.

So by the end of day three you're in roughly the same place as you would be if you'd taken the ferry.

So for us, driving is as quick as the ferry, although you do have drives of around 400 miles in the two long days in France. But on toll motorways I find it a doddle. We leave at 0900 and set the cruise at 60 mph. Seven hours actually driving, lots of short stops and a longer one for lunch and arrive in Palencia in plenty of time for a meal, either in or out (many restaurants within a ten minute walk).

Drawbacks, more driving. Advantages, even using the tunnel and tolls it costs a lot less than the ferry and the biggest advantage, no chance of arriving in Spain feeling ill from a bad bout of seasickness.

Our next stop is always Cáceres. Not far from the motorway and it's got a super old town to visit and a brilliant municipal site with your own personal shower and toilet hut on each pitch. Oh, and free wi-fi.

Then on to wherever you're going!

We'll never use that ferry again and will always drive. But that's because I'm a bad sailor. If you don't suffer from seasickness then you may find the ferry more relaxing.

It is always Dover Calais for me, just over an hour on the ferry suits me just fine,Portsmouth. Is only 24 miles from where I live but the crossing is about seven hours which I find very boring,I was a Merchant Seaman for five years in my youth so know about the Biscay thing,I enjoy the drive through France on route to Spain or where ever, and have done it many times in the winter even needing to use snow chains one trip crossing through the Viehella tunnel from St Lary Soulan.Many Aires are useable in France and Spain in the winter so no problem there,I fortunately have plenty of time for our trips so Don,t need the use of Santader crossings and over all I think the price comparison of Dover or Santader is swings and roundabouts.I expect others would dissagree.

Cherbourg is only 4 hours - just time for a meal, a coffee or two and a quiet rest before hitting the road fully refreshed.

However Frank's idea to use the toll roads from the Channel coast ports as an alternative to the long crossing to Spain as a compromise has a lot of merit as a mid way point cost wise and a lot of merit if boats and Biscay are not an appealing thought?

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2014-10-07 3:02 PM

We've done the Portsmouth/Plymouth-Santander route four times. Three times in summer when I've been lucky and survived by lying on my bed for the entire journey and eating sandwiches etc. that my wife would fetch from the restaurant. You'll gather I'm the world's worse sailor.

Three years ago we tried it in winter and it was awful. The weather was atrocious and I was sick for about twenty hours. The furniture in our cabin fell over, such was the roll of the ship.

We now drive and you may find our schedule interesting as it would be the same for you as you're also up north.

Ferry - Day one, drive to Portsmouth to overnight on the docks for the next morning's sailing at about 1100.

Day two, onboard,

Day 3 arrive at about noon in Santander.

Driving - Day one (an earlier start admittedly) drive to Folkestone for the tunnel. Take a train about 1700 and after arriving in France we get a few miles under our belt and overnight at the Aire de la Baie de la Somme. This is a motorway services but with a superb motorhome overnight parking area. It's at the end of a cul-de-sac, so no through traffic, is safe and away from the main parking area for lorries and cars. There's a motorhome borne where you can fill up with water and empty a cassette, but no grey water disposal. I just find a grid in the road and carefully drain it down there if necessary.

Day two, toll motorways as far as you can in a day. We normally aim for fifty miles north of Bordeaux and when we've had enough driving pull into one of two or three picnic aires that we've used many times in the past. We find them safe and have never had a problem as you're normally in the company of many others.

Day three - continue using toll motorways and drive to Palencia, where there's a very good aire, also with a borne.

So by the end of day three you're in roughly the same place as you would be if you'd taken the ferry.

So for us, driving is as quick as the ferry, although you do have drives of around 400 miles in the two long days in France. But on toll motorways I find it a doddle. We leave at 0900 and set the cruise at 60 mph. Seven hours actually driving, lots of short stops and a longer one for lunch and arrive in Palencia in plenty of time for a meal, either in or out (many restaurants within a ten minute walk).

Drawbacks, more driving. Advantages, even using the tunnel and tolls it costs a lot less than the ferry and the biggest advantage, no chance of arriving in Spain feeling ill from a bad bout of seasickness.

Our next stop is always Cáceres. Not far from the motorway and it's got a super old town to visit and a brilliant municipal site with your own personal shower and toilet hut on each pitch. Oh, and free wi-fi.

Then on to wherever you're going!

We'll never use that ferry again and will always drive. But that's because I'm a bad sailor. If you don't suffer from seasickness then you may find the ferry more relaxing.

Both ways sound barmy to me. Just meander down the old roads stopping to look at whatever takes your fancy. Doesn't matter if it takes a week to do a days journey when its all part of the holiday :-)

Living in folkestone Kent means we are totally spoilt for choice where cross channel crossings are concerned.

With Dover docks being six miles away & the channel tunnel complex less than a mile from our doorstep means any crossing to europe is a no-brainer.

En-route to Spain we usualy stop just once in france before arriving at Zaragoza for our second overnight stop & never ever use toll roads.

£384.00 for a one way crossing is IMO a whole lot of wonga & far in excess of fuel costs to drive the equivelant distance through France.

Our last trip down that route this August worked out at around 85 euros spent on diesel + our (return) tunnel fare of £147.00, meaning at the current rate of exchange, the same journey would equate to around £150.00 (less than half price of the Biscay bouncer).

Off course I love driving & love saving money even more :D

Guest Had Enough
barnplatt - 2014-10-08 1:52 PM

Living in folkestone Kent means we are totally spoilt for choice where cross channel crossings are concerned.

With Dover docks being six miles away & the channel tunnel complex less than a mile from our doorstep means any crossing to europe is a no-brainer.

En-route to Spain we usualy stop just once in france before arriving at Zaragoza for our second overnight stop & never ever use toll roads.

£384.00 for a one way crossing is IMO a whole lot of wonga & far in excess of fuel costs to drive the equivelant distance through France.

Our last trip down that route this August worked out at around 85 euros spent on diesel + our (return) tunnel fare of £147.00, meaning at the current rate of exchange, the same journey would equate to around £150.00 (less than half price of the Biscay bouncer).

Flipping heck! You do 850 miles in France and Spain in two days on some roads that must be non-dual carriageways even, let alone motorways?

I'm in awe but I still prefer the more relaxed motorway cruising all the way, even if it costs a few bob. And of course we were comparing this trip with the long ferry sailing, so price-wise if a man is prepared to shell out hundreds of pounds for a ferry, a few toll charges aren't going to put him off.

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2014-10-08 1:30 PM

Cherbourg is only 4 hours - just time for a meal, a coffee or two and a quiet rest before hitting the road fully refreshed.

However Frank's idea to use the toll roads from the Channel coast ports as an alternative to the long crossing to Spain as a compromise has a lot of merit as a mid way point cost wise and a lot of merit if boats and Biscay are not an appealing thought?

If going to western France such as Brittany, we too go Portsmouth-Cherbourg on that fabulous fast vessel, whatever it's called. We did it for for our May/June trip this year. I thought that was more like three hours and the beauty is that you don't need a cabin, in fact there aren't any.

As a poor sailor, on four crossings I've not yet had any trouble. And the drive to Portsmouth is far easier than Dover for us.

Had Enough - 2014-10-08 2:11 PM

Tracker - 2014-10-08 1:30 PM

If going to western France such as Brittany, we too go Portsmouth-Cherbourg on that fabulous fast vessel, whatever it's called. We did it for for our May/June trip this year. I thought that was more like three hours and the beauty is that you don't need a cabin, in fact there aren't any.

As a poor sailor, on four crossings I've not yet had any trouble. And the drive to Portsmouth is far easier than Dover for us.

Agree with you Frank. The fast cat from Portsmouth is our way to get there. (but then it is on our doorstep) Unfortunatly it does not run all year, due to weather. We have used it 3 times this year , returning back last week via Caen, as the FC stopped mid september. Mind you it can be rough, and we have had some really rough seas down here this week, as yopu may have seen on TV Portsmouth easy to get to on the motorways for any one coming from up north

PJay

Haven't been brave enough to make it to Spain yet, but maybe next year.

In the meantime I'm grateful that there is more than one way to get there, a choice of ferry/tunnel crossings so each to his own and long may that continue!

Good to read the tips from those who have done it various ways.

Guest Peter James

I can see the advantage of the Spain ferry crossing if you are driving down in a car. But for me the main point of taking your bed with you is being able to turn the journey into the main part of the holiday. :-)

I'm surprised at advice on here like 'how to get around Rouen' - when its probably the most interesting little city in France

Guest Peter James

I can see the advantage of the Spain ferry crossing if you are driving down in a car. But for me the main point of taking your bed with you is being able to turn the journey into the main part of the holiday. :-)

I'm surprised at advice on here like 'how to get around Rouen' - when its probably the most interesting little city in France

barnplatt - 2014-10-08 1:52 PM

How did you manage ONLY 85 e on Diesal?? Is the total spent , or just the getting to the border cost?

We spent more than that, and got through the Somport Tunnel in two days, that was some driving on non toll roads.

PJay

Guest Had Enough
PJay - 2014-10-08 2:30 PM

How did you manage ONLY 85 e on Diesal?? Is the total spent , or just the getting to the border cost?

We spent more than that, and got through the Somport Tunnel in two days, that was some driving on non toll roads.

PJay

€85 would buy about 15 gallons of diesel, which assuming 30 mpg equates to 450 miles. I think there's been a bit of a miscalculation here. (lol)

Peter James - 2014-10-08 2:23 PM

Maybe for the first timer and those who like the hustle and bustle of a city, but for everyone else Rouen is just an obstacle on the assault course of driving through France toll free to get to warmer and less expensive for everything Spain.

It's not always just about cost as convenience and personal preference come into it as well and I too would rather be on a smooth motorway than a bouncy boat.

We all have different ideas of how to spend our holiday and, as with many things, there is no right or wrong and if we are touring in France we avoid motorways even free ones at times but if we are heading for a holiday in Spain I think we have seen enough of France close to the main routes to be able to push straight through.

Had Enough - 2014-10-08 3:11 PM

PJay

€85 would buy about 15 gallons of diesel, which assuming 30 mpg equates to 450 miles. I think there's been a bit of a miscalculation here. (lol)

I suppose it is downhill to Spain !!

PJay

PJay

No miscalculations here

Our van is a Romahome R20 pop-top with the Citroen 1560cc HDi power unit.

We have just returned the 1200 mile trip from Benidorm via the Somport tunnel at an amazing average of 56.7mpg (@50mph average speed) so forget any gas guzzling 30mpg statistics!

Managed to source diesel in french supermarkets for as little as 1.22 euros & getting 1.25 euros for our english pound means less than a quid a litre.

Doing the calculations, 85 euros equates to around 68 litres of fuel & equals 15 gallons (approximately) & even when giving the van welly which reduced the MPG to 49mpg our 85 euros worth of motion lotion would mean 730+ miles covered..

On the journey Calais to Zaragoza in northern spain I stop once for fuel around Bordeaux.

No fiction here folks, these are genuine statistics & getting 30mpg (or less) from eight pints of diesel is something I would never contemplate

barnplatt - 2014-10-09 9:24 AM

PJay

No miscalculations here

Our van is a Romahome R20 pop-top with the Citroen 1560cc HDi power unit.

We have just returned the 1200 mile trip from Benidorm via the Somport tunnel at an amazing average of 56.7mpg (@50mph average speed) so forget any gas guzzling 30mpg statistics!

Managed to source diesel in french supermarkets for as little as 1.22 euros & getting 1.25 euros for our english pound means less than a quid a litre.

Doing the calculations, 85 euros equates to around 68 litres of fuel & equals 15 gallons (approximately) & even when giving the van welly which reduced the MPG to 49mpg our 85 euros worth of motion lotion would mean 730+ miles covered..

On the journey Calais to Zaragoza in northern spain I stop once for fuel around Bordeaux.

No fiction here folks, these are genuine statistics & getting 30mpg (or less) from eight pints of diesel is something I would never contemplate

Which neatly demonstrates what is meant by "thinking outside the box". One's mind is full of boxes of one's own construction. Beware the instant judgement! :-)

StuartO - 2014-10-09 9:30 AM

The positive side of owning and living in a Romahome! *-)

Please don't get me started on the negative aspects of owning a 'New' Romahome Stuart..

Suffice it to say that the new owners & constructors are not adhearing to age old proven quality standards of workmanship or customer relations (whatever they may be?) >:-)

Guest Had Enough
Brian Kirby - 2014-10-09 10:09 AM

Which neatly demonstrates what is meant by "thinking outside the box". One's mind is full of boxes of one's own construction. Beware the instant judgement! :-)

You're right. I automatically assumed that he had a motorhome. ;-)

Archived