Ferry to Spain

Cliffy

Had Enough - 2014-10-09 11:32 AM

Brian Kirby - 2014-10-09 10:09 AM

Which neatly demonstrates what is meant by "thinking outside the box". One's mind is full of boxes of one's own construction. Beware the instant judgement! :-)

You're right. I automatically assumed that he had a motorhome. ;-)

My van is an Romahome R20 & as you say Had enough, it's easy to draw the conclusion it could be a motorhome, whatever one of those may be ;-)

We consider our van to be more a tent with wheels, although a tent could well be more watertight than our six month old vehicle :-(

We have never been on the long ferry crossing and never will. I hear too many awful stories about it, and it is expensive. We go Dover to Calais, sleeping in an aire when we arrive, up very early, drive all day, have another stop around Poitier, then another long drive all the way to the spainish coast. We use about £250 of fuel each way and the aires are free.we don't hang about as the weather is usually pretty cold when we go.we just want to get there.

Had Enough - 2014-10-09 11:32 AM

Brian Kirby - 2014-10-09 10:09 AM

Which neatly demonstrates what is meant by "thinking outside the box". One's mind is full of boxes of one's own construction. Beware the instant judgement! :-)

You're right. I automatically assumed that he had a motorhome. ;-)

Hee, hee. I'd rather gathered that, Frank! :-D

I've pitched up close to a Romahome a few times over the years and the occupants have always seemed happy sorts. I feel sympathy for them if they are stuck inside when it's raining for ages, but in nice weather they have a very compact way of going touring. And of course they can park in any car park.

barnplatt - 2014-10-09 9:24 AM

Had Enough - 2014-10-08 3:11 PM

PJay - 2014-10-08 2:30 PM

How did you manage ONLY 85 e on Diesal?? Is the total spent , or just the getting to the border cost?

We spent more than that, and got through the Somport Tunnel in two days, that was some driving on non toll roads.

PJay

€85 would buy about 15 gallons of diesel, which assuming 30 mpg equates to 450 miles. I think there's been a bit of a miscalculation here. (lol)

No miscalculations here

Our van is a Romahome R20 pop-top with the Citroen 1560cc HDi power unit.

We have just returned the 1200 mile trip from Benidorm via the Somport tunnel at an amazing average of 56.7mpg (@50mph average speed) so forget any gas guzzling 30mpg statistics!

Managed to source diesel in french supermarkets for as little as 1.22 euros & getting 1.25 euros for our english pound means less than a quid a litre.

Doing the calculations, 85 euros equates to around 68 litres of fuel & equals 15 gallons (approximately) & even when giving the van welly which reduced the MPG to 49mpg our 85 euros worth of motion lotion would mean 730+ miles covered..

On the journey Calais to Zaragoza in northern spain I stop once for fuel around Bordeaux.

No fiction here folks, these are genuine statistics & getting 30mpg (or less) from eight pints of diesel is something I would never contemplate

You must be the guy who was wild camping on the road alongside the park close to the hospital.

Mike88 - 2014-10-10 9:05 AM

How did you manage ONLY 85 e on Diesal?? Is the total spent , or just the getting to the border cost?

We spent more than that, and got through the Somport Tunnel in two days, that was some driving on non toll roads.

PJay

€85 would buy about 15 gallons of diesel, which assuming 30 mpg equates to 450 miles. I think there's been a bit of a miscalculation here. (lol)

No miscalculations here

We have just returned the 1200 mile trip from Benidorm via the Somport tunnel at an amazing average of 56.7mpg (@50mph average speed) so forget any gas guzzling 30mpg statistics!

Managed to source diesel in french supermarkets for as little as 1.22 euros & getting 1.25 euros for our english pound means less than a quid a litre.

Doing the calculations, 85 euros equates to around 68 litres of fuel & equals 15 gallons (approximately) & even when giving the van welly which reduced the MPG to 49mpg our 85 euros worth of motion lotion would mean 730+ miles covered..

On the journey Calais to Zaragoza in northern spain I stop once for fuel around Bordeaux.

No fiction here folks, these are genuine statistics & getting 30mpg (or less) from eight pints of diesel is something I would never contemplate

You must be the guy who was wild camping on the road alongside the park close to the hospital.

Perfectly correct Mike!

Whist around the Benidorm area we regularly park roadside (Ave de Cd Real?) with a good few like minded wild campers.

barnplatt - 2014-10-10 10:12 AM

Mike88 - 2014-10-10 9:05 AM

PJay

No miscalculations here

Perfectly correct Mike!

Whist around the Benidorm area we regularly park roadside (Ave de Cd Real?) with a good few like minded wild campers.

It's a good spot. Saw you doing your washing by the tap. My wild camping days are over but if I wanted to wildcamp in Benidorm that would be the place or the cinema car park around the corner.

Archived