Star Cracking - Autotrail

sparkles

Hi All This is my first post here but unfortunately is not positive on my Cheyenne Auto-trail motorhome purchased 3 yrs ago at Chelston Taunton regarding Star cracking over the drivers side gutter channel and a reply from chelston on the subject which I am trying to get sorted out with them as it was only noticed by chance 2 weeks ago. ALSO PLEASE READ ANOTHER POSTING BY ME ON CURRENT ISSUES WE ARE EXPERIENCING WITH CHELSTON'S CUSTOMER CARE SERVICE AND AUTO-TRAILS SUPPORT. Chelston's reply We certainly could arrange for the work to be carried out while you are with us. However it is not a repair we would carry out in house and would have to sub contract the work. Star cracking is not uncommon in the material used in many types of motorhome and has several causes, including flexing of components. With regards to the pictures you have sent me showing the `star` cracks on your vehicle. The extended warranty cover has not previously covered gel goat cracks. These would be covered by Autotrail in the first year of life. However, Colin Treacher at Autotrail has agreed that if an estimate can be obtained for the repair to be carried out he will consider this under a goodwill claim. Please advise what your preferred course of action is on this matter. These repairs can normally be carried out by a bodyshop of which I am sure there are reputable ones

Star cracking is not fatal and is very common on boats. The only problem with it is that water gets in there in the winter and freezes opening up the cracks more. So keep it well waxed and the water won't get in. My boat has had this for Yrs and has not got worse.

Jason, I did a composite (epoxy and polyester) structures course years ago with a Trust which trained boat builders. I think I am right in saying that one of the reasons you get the type of cracking you describe is the incorrect application of the gel coat into the mould. Gel coats are a self coloured form of polyester (they can be clear) and they exhibit a good surface finish which is hard wearing and if coloured, avoids the need for paint protection. They usually have some form of Uv protection built in as well. The problem is that the resin is more brittle than standard polyester resin and if flexed excessively (if for example the panel is too thin for the load) or if applied too thickly, it will crack. Repair consists of the grinding out of the crack and refilling with gel compound and wet and drying it back to a suitable finish. Didn't I read a thread where Auto Trail owners had had problems with excessive cracking due to understrength panels? I believe they had to be repaired by incorporating stiffening in the overcab area.

I can see why the gel coat would crack, I have an older type Autotrail Cherokee L coach built with allumunium, not RFG, big body and creaks with the flexing on uneven minor roads. There is an 'old saying' at sea :- "IF SHE DON'T CREAK SHE'LL CRACK" big 'one piece' fibre glass sections can't creak [no joints] so they crack.

• 10 months later...
Problems Now sorted on 2nd April this year Hi All You will be pleased to know that Chelston sorted all of our problems with the above. Their attention to all previous matters were resolved to our satisafaction. And after slating them for their poor after sales service which was correct in the past, I want to now go on record and give them credit for completing on all matters. This visit we found their service excellent and dealt with all matters very well. So thank you Martyn and Tom for your efforts. Regards

Archived