Replacement Autotrail radio

MISTRELYN

Hi Folks

Thinking of replacing the radio in my Autotrail Apache (2010)

Getting over the reception problems would be a huge blessing and having a remote would be nice. The dealer cannot get a replacement remote.

We cannot afford mega-money but would like to include bluetooth for the iphone and connectivity for the music there-in. The reversing camera connection ,obviously, but the dvd, cd and tv are surplus as long as we have the iphone.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

cheers

John & Val

We had to replace our MH's radio a few months ago and I was worried about getting good reception because whatever aerial our Hymer had was invisible. When I shopped around I discovered that car radios have now gone digital and it was almost as cheap to replace with one of those - under £100 on a special offer at Halfords. I would need an extra aerial for £20 but why not, since sooner or later they are threatening to discontinue the FM signal.

The one I got was a good make (Sony) and had a CD slot, USB slot for MP3 and various trendy features which I don't need. Halford also provide fitting for an extra £20 or so, so I did that too. Total cost about £140, works a treat - and digital really is better.

Take care to choose a radio which will switch off at the from panel, some don't, relying on theignition switch. Otherwise you might find yourself with a residual illuminated display and clock to keep you awake at night.

MISTRELYN - 2014-10-08 6:02 PM

Hi Folks

Thinking of replacing the radio in my Autotrail Apache (2010)

Getting over the reception problems would be a huge blessing and having a remote would be nice. The dealer cannot get a replacement remote.

We cannot afford mega-money but would like to include bluetooth for the iphone and connectivity for the music there-in. The reversing camera connection ,obviously, but the dvd, cd and tv are surplus as long as we have the iphone.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

cheers

I did exactly that with my 2012 Savannah, I hated the 'media system' and removed it. I fitted a 'Double Din' JVC Dab+ radio, with a windscreen stick on aerial, been using it for nearly a year now, Great reception (where it actually exists !) with the aerial (which came with the radio). When in motion there is some 'Changeover blips' as it moves from one digital transmitter to another, but apart from that, very clear speech and lovely music sound through the existing speaker system. Ray

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-KW-DB60AT-Double-Stereo-Built/dp/B007K5XTUQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1412871521&sr=1-1&keywords=jvc+double+din+dab

MISTRELYN - 2014-10-08 6:46 PM

Hi

That looks very interesting.

Which type of aerial did you use?

John

It was an off-the-shelf bipole aerial, the more expensive of the two standard Halfords options, having a couple of short "wings" either side of the cable origin. It stuck on the windscreen, tucked up under the drop down bed out of sight and the cable was routed out of sight. Incidentally the vehicle's original aerial was discoverd stuck up there too, looking remakably similar.

Digital radios connect to two aerials, the original FM type (they still have FM/MW/LW bands) and a different connector for the digital aerial.

Incidentally the digital radio "locked up" for no apparent reason after a few weeks and I went back to Halfords. The young man (who clearly knew his stuff) simply disconnected the "always lice" power connection, which then allowed the radio to reboot once reconnected.

hey sorry to disappoint you, but I myself am looking for the repalcemeemnt and have tried somethings here adn there but cannot lock on one thing. If the aerial is working fine the display have the problewm, some consume too much battry wenergy. Also, like you I am looking for the oens that support latest phone applications. If you find something please recommend something. Appreciate it.

Archived