Wadeco compressor fridge

bikey

Hi all

We are considering downsizing to a panel van, the one we are interested in has a compressos fridge, I believe auto cruise fit them also, do they work ok, are they power hungry, are they noisy,

Thanks in anticipation for your opinions.

bikey - 2014-10-09 7:35 PM

Hi all

We are considering downsizing to a panel van, the one we are interested in has a compressos fridge, I believe auto cruise fit them also, do they work ok, are they power hungry, are they noisy,

Thanks in anticipation for your opinions.

Hi Brian,

we have a PVC, and have a Waeco CR-50. We have two 110Amp leisure batteries; just in case we can't get hookup, but generally use commercial sites. We don't have a solar panel.

I think we would be ok for 2 maybe 3 nights off-grid, certainly with a bit of careful use of battery power.

We originally had a 3-way fridge which did not function at all well (I think this was unusual) and we had it changed.

We usually turn the charger off overnight so that we are not disturbed by the charger and the fridge thermostat. We do hear the thermostat, but neither of us finds it unacceptable.

The fridge works very well, maintains temperature, and doesn't seem to churn out loads of heat.

We like it and wouldn't go back to a 3-way.

I would like a larger fridge, but we can't really accomodate an 80Litre without major reconfiguring.

Hope this helps,

regards

alan b

Personally I wouldn't consider a van with this type of fridge, seems they exist for ease of installation and not much else, and day vans. If the van the OP is looking at ticks all the boxes I'd be inclined to approach the converter and ask if there was an option for a three way fridge to be fitted in preference.

Living in a warmer part of the world I have a Waeco CFX-50 Fridge/freezer as a back up for my 3-way. When the temperature is in the mid 30's you will find that the Waeco will still keep your ice cream nice and firm not something I would guarantee with my (elderly) 3-way which struggles to produce ice just when you need it in the G n T. Agree tho' that a good solar panel is a necessary addition rather than lots of very heavy additional batteries.

Edit-- Just to add, There is nowhere near the noise from this unit that you would expect from a domestic compressor Freezer. Lovely and quiet!

We have an Waeco fitted in our Autocruise Alto, we have had 2 summers now in it and had no problem whatsoever, we have two large batteries and a solar panel, as long as you remember to press the button on your panel above the door when you stop for any length of time its brilliant, no messing about with trying to light the gas when not on hookup, the running hum when the compressor goes doesn't bother me but I do know a few people changed the fan on theirs to run quieter you could see if you can find the thread.

I think why it is fitted is because in our van anyway it is up at eye level which would be difficult to run a gas pipe safely up there! well that's my thinking anyway. :-D

Having installed a Waeco CR65 in our last three VW T5s we would not go back to a three way. We have twin 74Ah batteries and a 100W solar panel.

Advantages...

Idiot proof, switch it on and forget it.

No external vents or holes in the van.

Surprised how much LESS gas we now use.

Freezer compartment is more reliable in higher ambient temperatures.

Very little heat generated to pass into the van.

Disadvantages...

Slight noise from the compressor / fan but can be minimised by the way in which the fridge is fitted.

On balance the purchase costs were very similar between the Waeco and a three way but the installation of the Waeco was much simpler. A second battery and solar panel are an extra cost but have a flexible use over and above supplying the fridge.

If I were converting a larger van I may consider going back to a three way if I could fit refillable gas cylinders (or tank) so that I could be off hook-up for longer periods. However it would have to be totally automatic and as efficient as the compressor type.

Hi,

I have one fitted in my van conversion. I have fitted a dedicated battery for it which charges from the leisure battery when on the move. I have also wired it through a changeover relay so that it runs on the cab battery when on the road and switches to its own battery wnen stopped. I also have put a coupleof freezer packs in the ice box these help keep the temperature down and make it more efficient. Current draw is 5.6A. I had my doubts about it when I got the Van but find it very efficient and quiet I have run it for a couple of days at home to test the endurance, the battery voltage was down to 12.1v have been using it since on sites without hook up and have had no problems works really well.

Geoff C

• 11 months later...

I'd been searching old threads for a solution to a problem with our Waeco CR65 compressor fridge - its nocturnal noise. No trouble with the hum during the day - we don't notice it. At night, sleeping with one's head 18 inches away from the fridge, it's a different matter... whenever it switches on, I wake up. So much so, I resorted to sleeping the wrong way round, with my head on the cab seat.

Mention of the ice-blocks was the key to a solution. We now keep two ice-blocks in the freezer compartment, with the fridge on no.5 setting during the day. At night, remove the blocks and place in the body of the fridge, and switch it off completely. (It's quiet then!)

Following morning, replace semi-frozen ice-blocks in freezer, to re-freeze and switch fridge on again. It's risen just 2 degrees overnight. The ice-blocks re-freeze during the day. Simples!

Waeco could improve the design by fitting a quieter, PC-type fan. If redesigning it, they should also move the control dial to the exterior, so you don't have to open the door to adjust it/switch on or off. Or, if it has to stay inside, at least colour the moulded numbers on the dial, so you can see them without a torch!

Archived