Taylormade or Silverscreens

Wasnt Me

I think you'll find Silverscreens don't make the longer length, so it would have to be Taylormade.

I spoke to Silverscreens some time back & asked about this - they said an over-scuttle model would have to go over wipers, so couldn't fit as close to the glass & would thus be less efficient. Whether this is outweighed by the benefits of covering the vents may be a matter of choice. We went with Silverscreens.

This topic has been widely covered in the past (do a forum search) and there are strong views for each camp. However I think the point about closeness of fit is an important one because the prime function is to be an insulating screen and correctly fitted and tensioned the screen which I have works very well indeed. (It happens to be a Silverscreen).

We have the silver screens. Ours have a seperate piece for putting over the scuttle, which fixes on with velcro on the bottom which we have found is not needed on our van. They are good for stopping condensation. Bought ours second hand, so have a look on line, you may find some, or even on this site

PJay

I have a Silverscreen cover on a Hymer A Class and it fits beautifully, which I assume is important. It's an extra bit of a fag tucking it inside the wiper blades but they then help to hold it in place very well.

I have been thinking about changing MHs and rang Silverscreens yesterday - very helpful guy ho obviously doesn't think much of the competition or the inferior service he thinks they offer. He takes the trouble to have decent stock and even if they haven't got one for your MH he will make it from the full range of templates he holds within 3 days. Maybe his covers are better than the others, he certainly thinks so. Ceratinly my cover fits like a glove, insulates well and stays there, which is what you want.

But the prices have gone up markedly since I bought mine a few years ago - they are now £300. He told me that they out them up when they realised they could be out up rather than because of increasing costs so there is profit in these things - but why not, they do a good job and last a long time?

Yes we have Silver Screens on our Chausson and they are very good, but they only come to the bottom of the screen. They are still in good condition after 3 years, but we only use them in the winter and when we are using the van, not when it is left in storage. We also allow them to dry out properly, taking them home and leaving to dry in the garage if necessary. :-D

Great thanks.

I spoke to silverscreens and he was very helpful and the only thing he said about the longer ones was, they don't stop drafts on a lot of vans. Because you need to close the intake for the heater box.

Not sure now!!!!

I think silverscreens was cheaper, at £159 delivered.

We've had both and prefer Taylormade as we think there are a bit better made. We currently have the long length ones which we got second hand of Ebay for a fraction of the new price. We can't put the wipers over them either but that isn't a problem as there are 2 elasticated straps which hold them down and have never had a problem with them, it also means that your wipers can't get 'frozen' to the screen as they can if they are outside ... this can be a problem as we had this at home last winter where we use an old set of screen covers from our previous Ford and they got froze well and truly to the outside of the screens which was a nuisance when we needed to go out in a hurry!

If you can only get the standard length ones reasonably prices (second hand) it wouldn't take much to make an extra 'bib' to attach to the bottom just to stop the draught and prevent snow etc filling the scuttle, it wouldn't need to be the fully insulated material of the rest of the screens.

1845990439_windscreencovers.jpg.731643eb49f55ac559c735f808e173df.jpg

StuartO - 2014-10-10 9:36 AM

I have been thinking about changing MHs and rang Silverscreens yesterday - very helpful guy ho obviously doesn't think much of the competition or the inferior service he thinks they offer.

That's one of the things I do NOT like about them ... it's okay to promote your own stuff based on it's quality and his service, but I don't like the way he 'slags off' the competition to all and sundry ... very bad business practice!

Guest pelmetman

I'm thinking of complaining to Silver screens :-S ...............Ours has started to tear 8-) ..............

Its only 24 years old :-| ...................

In fairness to the man at silversceens, he said nothing to slag off taylormade when I spoke with him.

I was expecting, this as I looked at the other thread on here about it.

Maybe he has looked on the forums?

I am thinking silverscreens tbh.

Sounds like there is not much in it.

Thanks for the advice

We have Taylormade screens that fitted our 2008 Ford Transit which we no longer require as changed van to Fiat. I want to sell so will be putting up at £70 plus postage (will check that out)

Can't compare them to any other but we found them good to stop condensation and you can completely fold down the front which is great for daytime use

Has anyone any Taylormade screens for Fiat 2013 year to?

If anyone interested please pm me. Will be at Nec Friday and staying local Thursday and Friday night if want to pick up

Chris

• 1 month later...
I had Silverscreens on my first van and they where good when I changed vans I bought another set but returned them as they where very light material flapped on the screen in light wind only half as thick as the first set. Got a set from Taylormade and they are Ok twice as thick as the Silverscreens sit on windscreen with no lift a much better quality cover

Archived